Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drill press stands

Since people are asking me about Christmas present ideas, I thought of
asking someone to get me a drill stand (as I used to call them).
There've been many times I wished I had one, but I never got one.
Trouble is, I'm not sure if my 30-year old B&D drill will fit anything
modern. Should I go ahead and suggest that someone get me one (after
I've looked at some reviews)? Are they no good? Will I need a new drill?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Standard advice- buy a second hand, high quality pillar drill. Meddings or similar. I got my first one for £80, but had to spend some dosh on parts to fix it up (amazingly, Meddings carry parts for an early 1970s drill, but limited numbers). I bought a second one for £60, just because it was so cheap and it was perfect from day one.

Eyes peeled, patience and you will find one.

Ant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
news
Since people are asking me about Christmas present ideas, I thought of
asking someone to get me a drill stand (as I used to call them). There've
been many times I wished I had one, but I never got one. Trouble is, I'm
not sure if my 30-year old B&D drill will fit anything modern. Should I
go ahead and suggest that someone get me one (after I've looked at some
reviews)? Are they no good? Will I need a new drill?

IMO a standard drill press is a hell of a lot better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 20:37:44 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

Since people are asking me about Christmas present ideas, I thought of
asking someone to get me a drill stand (as I used to call them).
There've been many times I wished I had one, but I never got one.
Trouble is, I'm not sure if my 30-year old B&D drill will fit anything
modern. Should I go ahead and suggest that someone get me one (after
I've looked at some reviews)? Are they no good? Will I need a new drill?

I recently got the Powerfix one from Lidl, it's nothing to write home
about, particularly the included vice, which is rubbish, but it's good
enough for my usage and it was cheap. I was worried about my drill of
the same vintage, but if yours has the same collar behind the chuck as
my BOSCH CSB 520-2E
https://tinyurl.com/y8jny8qz
then it will fit. I think the diameter is 42mm
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Since people are asking me about Christmas present ideas, I thought of
asking someone to get me a drill stand (as I used to call them).
There've been many times I wished I had one, but I never got one.
Trouble is, I'm not sure if my 30-year old B&D drill will fit anything
modern. Should I go ahead and suggest that someone get me one (after
I've looked at some reviews)? Are they no good? Will I need a new drill?

If there is nothing wrong with your drill just leave it be and get a
pillar drill of a quality to suit what you wish to do with it.
It will save all the delay when you want to do some vertical drilling
but then decide it is not worth setting it up for one hole, find it
goes wrong and you should have used it in the first place.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Since people are asking me about Christmas present ideas, I thought of
asking someone to get me a drill stand (as I used to call them).
There've been many times I wished I had one, but I never got one.
Trouble is, I'm not sure if my 30-year old B&D drill will fit anything
modern. Should I go ahead and suggest that someone get me one (after
I've looked at some reviews)? Are they no good? Will I need a new drill?

If there is nothing wrong with your drill just leave it be and get a
pillar drill of a quality to suit what you wish to do with it.
It will save all the delay when you want to do some vertical drilling
but then decide it is not worth setting it up for one hole, find it
goes wrong and you should have used it in the first place.

G.Harman

So it's not just me then?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Since people are asking me about Christmas present ideas, I thought of
asking someone to get me a drill stand (as I used to call them).
There've been many times I wished I had one, but I never got one.
Trouble is, I'm not sure if my 30-year old B&D drill will fit anything
modern. Should I go ahead and suggest that someone get me one (after
I've looked at some reviews)? Are they no good? Will I need a new
drill?

An electric drill in a stand may be better than nothing, but given the low
price of a proper pillar drill, I'd go for that.

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine is
on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any faster.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2017 20:37, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Since people are asking me about Christmas present ideas, I thought of
asking someone to get me a drill stand (as I used to call them).
There've been many times I wished I had one, but I never got one.
Trouble is, I'm not sure if my 30-year old B&D drill will fit anything
modern.Â* Should I go ahead and suggest that someone get me one (after
I've looked at some reviews)?Â* Are they no good?Â* Will I need a new drill?

Waste of money. Never any good. Get a pillar drill.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine is
on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any faster.

When drilling ceramics I use a fast speed and almost no pressure. It
reduces cracking and shaling.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine is
on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any faster.

When drilling ceramics I use a fast speed and almost no pressure. It
reduces cracking and shaling.

C'mon Bill, Dave knows all about this ****, the slower the better.
I'm never going to use a fast speed ever again.
Cheers Dave.
Boy are these sound engineers smart, worth every penny.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The one I used to have was made for a drill by the same maker. It merely
uses two studs on the chuck end and an adjustable clamp as I recall.
However if you really want accuracy, then sticking a normal hand drill into
a single pole stand is not the way to get it I soon found!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
news
Since people are asking me about Christmas present ideas, I thought of
asking someone to get me a drill stand (as I used to call them). There've
been many times I wished I had one, but I never got one. Trouble is, I'm
not sure if my 30-year old B&D drill will fit anything modern. Should I
go ahead and suggest that someone get me one (after I've looked at some
reviews)? Are they no good? Will I need a new drill?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine is
on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any faster.

Mine has two gear selectable speeds as well as the pulley blocks. The
pulleys have been on a compromise setting for the last 10 years:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright writes:

On 22/11/2017 20:37, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Since people are asking me about Christmas present ideas,
I thought of asking someone to get me a drill stand (as I
used to call them). There've been many times I wished I
had one, but I never got one. Trouble is, I'm not sure if
my 30-year old B&D drill will fit anything modern.Â* Should
I go ahead and suggest that someone get me one (after I've
looked at some reviews)?Â* Are they no good?Â* Will I need a
new drill?

Waste of money. Never any good. Get a pillar drill.

+1, and if you are getting a pillar drill, go for one with a
raise/lower mechanism that doesnt swing (eg one with a geared
lift). That way you can put a second drill (longer or shorter)
down the same hole without having to faff around to get it
centred.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine is
on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any faster.

Mine has two gear selectable speeds as well as the pulley blocks. The
pulleys have been on a compromise setting for the last 10 years:-)

Similarly, I would have to answer 'rarely', but I matched the spindle
pulley because I didn't know which speeD I might end up sticking with.
;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 00:19:17 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill?

Nope.

Mine is on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any
faster.

Middle of the five options IIRC.

For the OP, a cheap bench pillar drill has lot's of plus points.
Holes are round not ovoid (wobble from hand held drill), holes where
they are supposed to be (less wander on starting), you can set up a
jig for accurate repeatabilty be that a row of holes the same
distance from an edge, or holes at an angle, it's there so you'll use
it, assuming you do have some thing, some where, to permenantly set
it up with around 6' clear each side (for long work pieces).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2017 20:37, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Since people are asking me about Christmas present ideas, I thought of
asking someone to get me a drill stand (as I used to call them).
There've been many times I wished I had one, but I never got one.
Trouble is, I'm not sure if my 30-year old B&D drill will fit anything
modern.Â* Should I go ahead and suggest that someone get me one (after
I've looked at some reviews)?Â* Are they no good?Â* Will I need a new drill?

Is it the collar type or the "two studs" type? I have one of each that
you can have; for some inexplicable reason I have never thrown them out,
although I havn't touched either in the 30-odd years since I bought a
cheap bench mounting pillar drill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine is
on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any faster.

When drilling ceramics I use a fast speed and almost no pressure. It
reduces cracking and shaling.

Interesting. I tend to use some water when cutting ceramics and a slow
speed helps to not throw it around.

Only thing I drill at high speeds is PCBs using tungsten drills. But then
my drill press for that is single speed anyway.

--
*It ain't the size, it's... er... no, it IS ..the size.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine is
on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any faster.

When drilling ceramics I use a fast speed and almost no pressure. It
reduces cracking and shaling.

C'mon Bill, Dave knows all about this ****, the slower the better.
I'm never going to use a fast speed ever again.
Cheers Dave.
Boy are these sound engineers smart, worth every penny.

Thanks for giving everyone the benefit of your expert advice. And I'm glad
you've finally learned something.

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 09:04:32 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message ,
writes

If there is nothing wrong with your drill just leave it be and get a
pillar drill of a quality to suit what you wish to do with it.
It will save all the delay when you want to do some vertical drilling
but then decide it is not worth setting it up for one hole, find it
goes wrong and you should have used it in the first place.

Agreed! I bought a pillar drill by Silverline, following conversations
here. OK, perhaps not a precision instrument, but it suits my needs
and, because it just sits there, I use it. I probably wouldn't bother
if I had to set it up with a separate drill before every use.

There is also the odd task where having two machines can be useful, an
example could be cleaning the threads of a large bolts that you may
wish to reuse such as when repairing a large wooden gate.

Fix the bolt gently in the pillar drill and as it (relatively) slowly
rotates use a wire brush in your ordinary drill to clean it.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

T i m wrote:
So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine
is
on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any
faster.

When drilling ceramics I use a fast speed and almost no pressure. It
reduces cracking and shaling.

C'mon Bill, Dave knows all about this ****, the slower the better.
I'm never going to use a fast speed ever again.
Cheers Dave.
Boy are these sound engineers smart, worth every penny.

Thanks for giving everyone the benefit of your expert advice. And I'm glad
you've finally learned something.

Cheers Dave, boy it gets harder and harder to get up off my knees.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine
is
on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any faster.

When drilling ceramics I use a fast speed and almost no pressure. It
reduces cracking and shaling.

Interesting. I tend to use some water when cutting ceramics and a slow
speed helps to not throw it around.

It also helps to crack it. But hey, you know better.

Only thing I drill at high speeds is PCBs using tungsten drills. But then
my drill press for that is single speed anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Only thing I drill at high speeds is PCBs using tungsten drills. But then
my drill press for that is single speed anyway.

I'm really talking about drilling ceramic faceplates (blank flush
wallplates) We make up our own outlets for 'media' use. I think the only
reason I use a fast speed is to compensate for the very light pressure I
use (in terms of the time it takes). I guess light pressure plus slow
speed would be fine but life is short.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2017 09:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 00:19:17 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill?

I use mine on the slowest speed when spooling cable.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m,
bm wrote:
Thanks for giving everyone the benefit of your expert advice. And I'm
glad you've finally learned something.

Cheers Dave, boy it gets harder and harder to get up off my knees.

Keep telling you. Find someone else to fantasise giving a blow job to.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 23/11/2017 09:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 00:19:17 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill?

I use mine on the slowest speed when spooling cable.

Winding solder from my big reel to the dispenser here. ;-)

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

Only thing I drill at high speeds is PCBs using tungsten drills. But
then my drill press for that is single speed anyway.

I'm really talking about drilling ceramic faceplates (blank flush
wallplates) We make up our own outlets for 'media' use. I think the only
reason I use a fast speed is to compensate for the very light pressure I
use (in terms of the time it takes). I guess light pressure plus slow
speed would be fine but life is short.

Ceramic face plates? You must do some very upmarket work. ;-)

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bm wrote:
Thanks for giving everyone the benefit of your expert advice. And I'm
glad you've finally learned something.

Cheers Dave, boy it gets harder and harder to get up off my knees.

Keep telling you. Find someone else to fantasise giving a blow job to.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, you cracked a joke.
See, you can do it if you try.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine is
on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any faster.

I use some but not all of the "gears" on mine. Usually when moving from
wood drilling where a higher speed is more useful, to something like
drilling cast iron or stainless (or wood but with a large diameter
cutter) where slower/more torque is more useful.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
lid says...

Non standard advice, I bought a new bench pillar drill from Aldi years
ago in a sale for £25, normally £40. Can't really fault it for that price.

ALDI 500w Drill Press Workzone unboxing / assembly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6mv4yWklNA

I bought one from Lidl recently and that was even cheaper
and came with a vice. It fits drills with a 'standard' body
immediately behind the chuck 43mm (IIRC) in diameter.

Can't comment oh how good it is because, having recently
moved the garage is packed with stuff and I can't easily get
to the workbench yet!

If there is a Lidl near you that has some unsold stock that
hasn't been cleared out for Christmas stuff, you might still
be lucky.

--

Terry

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine
is on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any
faster.

I do - fast for small bits, slow for large ones..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 22:15:17 +0000
Graham. wrote:

then it will fit. I think the diameter is 42mm

43mm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 23:25:50 +0000
Steve Walker wrote:

Even a cheap pillar drill from Aldi or Lidl will be a revelation
after using hand drills and stands for them.

How many people make enough use of one to justify a good quality one
anyway?

I have a small cheap bench drill that I picked up on eBay for about £20
- it works just fine for the small stuff that I do with it. I also
have a drill stand that is useful for different things - as well as
taking a hand-held drill (I used it just the other day to remove a
broken bolt using a left-handed drill bit - how many cheap bench drills
do reverse?) I also have a little router that fits the collar, in which
I can use carbide cutters for really hard or awkward stuff (like
drilling holes at an angle to the face of a work-piece, where a drill
might wander off).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine
is on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any
faster.

I do - fast for small bits, slow for large ones..

Has yours got some easy way of changing speeds?

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill?
Mine is on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to
run any faster.

I do - fast for small bits, slow for large ones..

Has yours got some easy way of changing speeds?

Remove cover (one screw), slacken tension bolt, move belt from larger to
smaller pulley, move belt from smaller to larger pulley, apply tension
and tighten bolt, replace cover. SOP for this sort of machine, doesn't
take long. Of course I'd like a big one with three sets of pulleys,
but I just couldn't justify it in terms of space or cost or use. The
modern ones with electronic speed control don't appeal as much. :-)