Posted to uk.d-i-y
bm[_2_] bm[_2_] is offline

Default Drill press stands

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill? Mine
is
on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to run any faster.

When drilling ceramics I use a fast speed and almost no pressure. It
reduces cracking and shaling.

Interesting. I tend to use some water when cutting ceramics and a slow
speed helps to not throw it around.

It also helps to crack it. But hey, you know better.

Only thing I drill at high speeds is PCBs using tungsten drills. But then
my drill press for that is single speed anyway.