Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Drill press stands

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 12:50:26 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Standard advice- buy a second hand, high quality pillar drill. Meddings or similar. I got my first one for £80, but had to spend some dosh on parts to fix it up (amazingly, Meddings carry parts for an early 1970s drill, but limited numbers). I bought a second one for £60, just because it was so cheap and it was perfect from day one.

Eyes peeled, patience and you will find one.

I did that but to get a floor standing drill (I already had a bench
pillar drill that I bought from a Model Engineering Exhibition years
ago). It was probably originally a 3 phase jobby and someone had had a
go at fitting a single phase motor (from a Myford lathe by the looks
of it).

So, I was able to buy a new 1/2hp motor off eBay, a 5 speed pulley
with the right hole diameter for the new motor and a Woodruff key
broach to suit.

I also got a backing plate interface (made to measure on eBay) to
mount the motor mount to the drill mount (two sliding bars to allow
you to tension the belt etc) but that's about as far as I got. ;-(

In hindsight, I think I should have bought one off Machine Mart or
similar (because the job I wanted to do still needs doing) but I doubt
it would have been as good in use or last as long as this one already
has (once I finish it). ;-)

Cheers, T i m