Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drill press stands

Ceramic face plates? You must do some very upmarket work. ;-)

Yep. Although I sometimes forget to say 'Your Majesty'.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2017 18:44, Rob Morley wrote:

Remove cover (one screw), slacken tension bolt, move belt from larger to
smaller pulley, move belt from smaller to larger pulley, apply tension
and tighten bolt, replace cover. SOP for this sort of machine, doesn't
take long. Of course I'd like a big one with three sets of pulleys,
but I just couldn't justify it in terms of space or cost or use. The
modern ones with electronic speed control don't appeal as much. :-)

Mine has a middle pulley on a swinging arm. You can go from
frighteningly fast to ludicrously slow.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2017 20:16, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/11/2017 18:44, Rob Morley wrote:

Remove cover (one screw), slacken tension bolt, move belt from larger to
smaller pulley, move belt from smaller to larger pulley, apply tension
and tighten bolt, replace cover. SOP for this sort of machine, doesn't
take long. Of course I'd like a big one with three sets of pulleys,
but I just couldn't justify it in terms of space or cost or use. The
modern ones with electronic speed control don't appeal as much. :-)

Mine has a middle pulley on a swinging arm. You can go from
frighteningly fast to ludicrously slow.

Yup same on mine. Top cover is just held with a spring latch and is just
pulled open when required. Takes slightly longer if you need to shift
both belts or change the order of them.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 20171125184414.3cf8f8c8@Mars,
Rob Morley wrote:
On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 16:33:38 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article 20171125132645.24c454c1@Mars,
Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 00:19:17 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill?
Mine is on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to
run any faster.

I do - fast for small bits, slow for large ones..

Has yours got some easy way of changing speeds?

Remove cover (one screw), slacken tension bolt, move belt from larger to
smaller pulley, move belt from smaller to larger pulley, apply tension
and tighten bolt, replace cover. SOP for this sort of machine, doesn't
take long. Of course I'd like a big one with three sets of pulleys,
but I just couldn't justify it in terms of space or cost or use. The
modern ones with electronic speed control don't appeal as much. :-)

Mine is the same. I really couldn't be bothered doing that every time I
changed a drill size. Hence leaving it on slow all the time.

My first pillar drill was a B&Q cheapy. Such a small motor easy to stall
it when using say a hole saw. Even on the slowest speed. Have a Lidl one
now with a much more powerful motor which is fine for my sort of stuff.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

Ceramic face plates? You must do some very upmarket work. ;-)

Yep. Although I sometimes forget to say 'Your Majesty'.

Where do you get them from?

--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 25/11/2017 20:16, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/11/2017 18:44, Rob Morley wrote:

Remove cover (one screw), slacken tension bolt, move belt from larger to
smaller pulley, move belt from smaller to larger pulley, apply tension
and tighten bolt, replace cover. SOP for this sort of machine, doesn't
take long. Of course I'd like a big one with three sets of pulleys,
but I just couldn't justify it in terms of space or cost or use. The
modern ones with electronic speed control don't appeal as much. :-)

Mine has a middle pulley on a swinging arm. You can go from
frighteningly fast to ludicrously slow.

Yup same on mine. Top cover is just held with a spring latch and is
just pulled open when required. Takes slightly longer if you need to
shift both belts or change the order of them.

Mine has a two speed gear selector as well as the stepped pulley blocks.
Some apprentice must have changed speeds without waiting for the quill
to stop as it came to me at scrap value.
The gears are plastic fibre Tufnol/Paxolin? and the millwrights shop
hobbed two replacements in exchange for two packs of cigarettes! after I
supplied them with turned blanks. I have yet to need the backup:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2017 20:14, Bill Wright wrote:

Ceramic face plates? You must do some very upmarket work. ;-)

Yep. Although I sometimes forget to say 'Your Majesty'.

I thought you were only supposed to say that at the first meeting, and
then use maam, thereafter?

--
Cheers,

John.