Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley Rob Morley is offline

Default Drill press stands

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 16:33:38 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article 20171125132645.24c454c1@Mars,
Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 00:19:17 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Does anyone ever use the different speeds on their pillar drill?
Mine is on the slowest possible - never felt the need for it to
run any faster.

I do - fast for small bits, slow for large ones..

Has yours got some easy way of changing speeds?

Remove cover (one screw), slacken tension bolt, move belt from larger to
smaller pulley, move belt from smaller to larger pulley, apply tension
and tighten bolt, replace cover. SOP for this sort of machine, doesn't
take long. Of course I'd like a big one with three sets of pulleys,
but I just couldn't justify it in terms of space or cost or use. The
modern ones with electronic speed control don't appeal as much. :-)