Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Credit card receipt

I'm asking here because people here know everything, and an online
search hasn't produced a clear answer.

My wife paid by credit card in a small local shop.

She looked at the receipt when she got home and noticed that it said
Merchant Copy and had the full credit card number, plus start and end
date. I don't believe it had the security number from the back or, of
course, her Pin number.
She became alarmed (nothing new) and expected me to know whether the
business could be trusted not to spend all her money using phone
payments. She says the owner is a nice man.

It looks as though this may be fairly normal to allow businesses to make
refunds, provided the receipts are held securely under lock and key and
destroyed securely after a certain, unspecified, time.

Does anyone know whether the law in the UK is specific about holding the
unencrypted, printed data locally, and whether there is any financial
danger.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2017 23:31, Bill wrote:

[...]

It isn't that long ago that credit card (and debit card) transactions
were done by an 'imprint' machine and the shop kept a 'carbon copy' of
your receipt which had all the embossed bits of your card on it.

I've not seen one in some time but then nor have I signed a credit card
bill in the UK for years, yet I was asked to in the US a year or so back
(ie no PIN) so there could still be imprint machines out there.

Also, you give the same details - plus the three digits from the back-
when you do a phone transaction or online transaction.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 00:23:50 +0000
Brian Reay wrote:

I've not seen one in some time but then nor have I signed a credit
card bill in the UK for years, yet I was asked to in the US a year or
so back (ie no PIN) so there could still be imprint machines out
there.

Now many years ago, but I once paid a speeding fine sitting in a police
car like that. Back in the days of '55', the offence was 'Energy Speed',
meaning that it was safe, but the State had to comply with the
National Speed Limit if it wanted to receive Federal Funding.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2017 23:31, Bill wrote:

I'm asking here because people here know everything, and an online
search hasn't produced a clear answer.

My wife paid by credit card in a small local shop.

It isn't that long ago that credit card (and debit card) transactions
were done by an 'imprint' machine and the shop kept a 'carbon copy' of
your receipt which had all the embossed bits of your card on it.

I've not seen one in some time but then nor have I signed a credit card
bill in the UK for years, yet I was asked to in the US a year or so back
(ie no PIN) so there could still be imprint machines out there.

I think it was about 18 months to two years ago that I last used
that method , first time for years .
Was at a show of some kind and the merchant could no get a cellular
signal for his electronic terminal so brought the old machine out.
I didn't realise they could still do this and judging by in similar
circumstances the number of traders who put up a "Sorry Cash" only
notice a lot of traders either don't either or there are hoops and
risks to go through to retain it which many don't want to be involved
with.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

If it was a paky corner shop look out for ten and twenty pound phone top ups
appearing on your bill.......never trust a Muslim because you are the
infidel and are there to be exploited......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 8:06:11 AM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

What an egregious post. You really should be reported to the race relations people
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

I've not seen one in some time but then nor have I signed a credit
card bill in the UK for years, yet I was asked to in the US a year or
so back (ie no PIN) so there could still be imprint machines out
there.

Now many years ago, but I once paid a speeding fine sitting in a police
car like that. Back in the days of '55', the offence was 'Energy Speed',
meaning that it was safe, but the State had to comply with the
National Speed Limit if it wanted to receive Federal Funding.

Mine was for petrol ('gas') on remote road between Yosemite and Death
Valley. It was like a town from a 1950s film. People we very friendly
etc (as always in the US) but just a huge contrast to places like LA,
San Diego etc. Not long before a huge brown bear had run across the
road in front of the car.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

only stating what happened to me and why when I once bought petrol on a card
at a paki petrol station .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
Brian Reay wrote:

I've not seen one in some time but then nor have I signed a credit
card bill in the UK for years, yet I was asked to in the US a year or
so back (ie no PIN) so there could still be imprint machines out
there.

Now many years ago, but I once paid a speeding fine sitting in a police
car like that. Back in the days of '55', the offence was 'Energy Speed',
meaning that it was safe, but the State had to comply with the
National Speed Limit if it wanted to receive Federal Funding.

Mine was for petrol ('gas') on remote road between Yosemite and Death
Valley. It was like a town from a 1950s film. People we very friendly etc
(as always in the US) but just a huge contrast to places like LA, San
Diego etc. Not long before a huge brown bear had run across the road in
front of the car.

Benefit or Personal Independence Payment when they don't need it? They are
depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

shame you weren't its lunch ....good eating there on the belly ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2017 23:31, Bill wrote:

[...]

More likely, they forgot they could, or where they put the machine.
Traders automatically get one as a backup when they get their terminal,
but I couldn't say, offhand, where mine is.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 10:16, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 23:31:42 +0000, Bill wrote:

In theory, you should never let your card out of your hand. But there are
some smaller retailers where it's "arranged" that the cashier has to take
your card to put in the machine.

I've heard this advice many times but its not only "smaller retailers"
it is "every" restaurant chain in the US that disappears with your card
for 5 minutes when making up the final payments slip.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 00:56:43 UTC, wrote:
Was at a show of some kind and the merchant could no get a cellular
signal for his electronic terminal so brought the old machine out.
I didn't realise they could still do this and judging by in similar
circumstances the number of traders who put up a "Sorry Cash" only
notice a lot of traders either don't either or there are hoops and
risks to go through to retain it which many don't want to be involved
with.

If a transaction is chip and pin verified the trader has almost no risk the trasaction will be reversed. For manual imprint transactions the trader carries a large risk and is also supposed to obtain telephone authorisation for anything over the 'floor limit'.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 10:29:58 AM UTC, Chris B wrote:
On 14/11/2017 10:16, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 23:31:42 +0000, Bill wrote:

In theory, you should never let your card out of your hand. But there are
some smaller retailers where it's "arranged" that the cashier has to take
your card to put in the machine.

I've heard this advice many times but its not only "smaller retailers"
it is "every" restaurant chain in the US that disappears with your card
for 5 minutes when making up the final payments slip.

--
Chris B (News)

But surely they still need your pin?

When processing a transaction once the customer hs entered the pin tha card and pin are checked and if ok a clearance code given.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If it was a paky corner shop look out for ten and twenty pound phone top
ups appearing on your bill.......never trust a Muslim because you are
the infidel and are there to be exploited......

In the same way as nicking land from your neighbour? ;-)

--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If it was a paky corner shop look out for ten and twenty pound phone
top ups appearing on your bill.......never trust a Muslim because
you are the infidel and are there to be exploited......

What an egregious post. You really should be reported to the race
relations people

only stating what happened to me and why when I once bought petrol on a
card at a paki petrol station .......

How do you know who owns a petrol station? If you mean the cashier, how
can you be sure to find one which isn't manned by such a person?

--
*WHY IS IT CALLED TOURIST SEASON IF WE CAN'T SHOOT AT THEM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris B wrote:
On 14/11/2017 10:16, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 23:31:42 +0000, Bill wrote:

In theory, you should never let your card out of your hand. But there are
some smaller retailers where it's "arranged" that the cashier has to take
your card to put in the machine.

I've heard this advice many times but its not only "smaller retailers"
it is "every" restaurant chain in the US that disappears with your card
for 5 minutes when making up the final payments slip.

A local pub/restaurant takes your card from you when you arrive. Seems
that is getting common.

--
*Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 11:06, fred wrote:
On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 10:29:58 AM UTC, Chris B wrote:
On 14/11/2017 10:16, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 23:31:42 +0000, Bill wrote:

In theory, you should never let your card out of your hand. But there are
some smaller retailers where it's "arranged" that the cashier has to take
your card to put in the machine.

I've heard this advice many times but its not only "smaller retailers"
it is "every" restaurant chain in the US that disappears with your card
for 5 minutes when making up the final payments slip.

--
Chris B (News)

But surely they still need your pin?

In the states PINs don't come into it - they still use signatures on
paper. (I think PINs might be slowly coming in but when I was last
there in 2016 I never used the PIN once).

They disappear with your card. Come back with a chit for basic cost of
the meal. You add the tip and sign. (usually 2 copies one for them and
one for you). They collect the chit with the final amount you have
authorised. You walk out.

When processing a transaction once the customer hs entered the pin tha card and pin are checked and if ok a clearance code given.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A local pub/restaurant takes your card from you when you arrive. Seems
that is getting common.

Do you mean to "pre-authorize" - in the same way that most hotels do
when you book in? If so, I can't recall when it was last done otherwise
than in front of me - usually with a wireless card terminal.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Chris B wrote:
On 14/11/2017 10:16, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 23:31:42 +0000, Bill wrote:

In theory, you should never let your card out of your hand. But there
are some smaller retailers where it's "arranged" that the cashier has
to take your card to put in the machine.

I've heard this advice many times but its not only "smaller retailers"
it is "every" restaurant chain in the US that disappears with your card
for 5 minutes when making up the final payments slip.

A local pub/restaurant takes your card from you when you arrive. Seems
that is getting common.

Has been for many years if you want to run a tab.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If it was a paky corner shop look out for ten and twenty pound phone
top ups appearing on your bill.......never trust a Muslim because
you are the infidel and are there to be exploited......

What an egregious post. You really should be reported to the race
relations people

only stating what happened to me and why when I once bought petrol on a
card at a paki petrol station .......

How do you know who owns a petrol station? If you mean the cashier, how
can you be sure to find one which isn't manned by such a person?

I know these things ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If it was a paky corner shop look out for ten and twenty pound phone top
ups appearing on your bill.......never trust a Muslim because you are
the infidel and are there to be exploited......

In the same way as nicking land from your neighbour? ;-)

you mean building me a fence? ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:

A local pub/restaurant takes your card from you when you arrive. Seems
that is getting common.

Do you mean to "pre-authorize" - in the same way that most hotels do
when you book in? If so, I can't recall when it was last done otherwise
than in front of me - usually with a wireless card terminal.

They take your card and put it in a locker. And give you the (a) key. When
you wish to pay the bill you present the key and they get your card for
you. This was when having a meal outside in the garden. The pub is very
close to Wandsworth prison, so perhaps they get some dodgy people in
there. ;-)

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:

A local pub/restaurant takes your card from you when you arrive. Seems
that is getting common.

Do you mean to "pre-authorize" - in the same way that most hotels do
when you book in? If so, I can't recall when it was last done
otherwise than in front of me - usually with a wireless card terminal.

They take your card and put it in a locker. And give you the (a) key. When
you wish to pay the bill you present the key and they get your card for
you. This was when having a meal outside in the garden. The pub is very
close to Wandsworth prison, so perhaps they get some dodgy people in
there. ;-)

we're some miles from that particular prison, but the same applies. At the
end the usual question is "do you wish to use this card to pay your bill?"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If it was a paky corner shop look out for ten and twenty pound phone
top ups appearing on your bill.......never trust a Muslim because
you are the infidel and are there to be exploited......

What an egregious post. You really should be reported to the race
relations people

only stating what happened to me and why when I once bought petrol on a
card at a paki petrol station .......

How do you know who owns a petrol station? If you mean the cashier, how
can you be sure to find one which isn't manned by such a person?

I know these things ......

You can't go very far from home then. ;-)

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 13:51, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:

A local pub/restaurant takes your card from you when you arrive. Seems
that is getting common.

Do you mean to "pre-authorize" - in the same way that most hotels do
when you book in? If so, I can't recall when it was last done
otherwise than in front of me - usually with a wireless card terminal.

They take your card and put it in a locker. And give you the (a) key. When
you wish to pay the bill you present the key and they get your card for
you. This was when having a meal outside in the garden. The pub is very
close to Wandsworth prison, so perhaps they get some dodgy people in
there. ;-)

we're some miles from that particular prison, but the same applies. At the
end the usual question is "do you wish to use this card to pay your bill?"

Do they check before putting the card away that it's not blocked?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris B wrote:
On 14/11/2017 10:16, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 23:31:42 +0000, Bill wrote:

In theory, you should never let your card out of your hand. But there are
some smaller retailers where it's "arranged" that the cashier has to take
your card to put in the machine.

I've heard this advice many times but its not only "smaller retailers"
it is "every" restaurant chain in the US that disappears with your card
for 5 minutes when making up the final payments slip.

A local pub/restaurant takes your card from you when you arrive. Seems
that is getting common.

That happened to me for the first time a couple of months back. Before they
would honour our reservation, the Eliot Arms in South Cerney took my card
and put it in an envelope in the till. Bearing in mind this is a quite
upmarket area, I was extremely surprised. Naturally, we will never go there
again, not anywhere else that does that - I refuse to be assumed guilty
until proved innocent! Had we not had hungry friends with us, I would have
made my views known in no uncertain manner and walked straight out. As it
was I paid first and then made my views known.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Very funny Scotty - now beam down my clothes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Henson
writes

That happened to me for the first time a couple of months back. Before they
would honour our reservation, the Eliot Arms in South Cerney took my card
and put it in an envelope in the till. Bearing in mind this is a quite
upmarket area, I was extremely surprised. Naturally, we will never go there
again, not anywhere else that does that - I refuse to be assumed guilty
until proved innocent! Had we not had hungry friends with us, I would have
made my views known in no uncertain manner and walked straight out. As it
was I paid first and then made my views known.

I was stopping in a pub earlier this year where they did that. They had
been getting several runners a week (easily £100 a time). It doesn't
take many of those to cause major cash flow problems. Sadly it doesn't
matter how up market an area is, there are thieves at all levels.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

In message , Bob Henson
writes

That happened to me for the first time a couple of months back. Before they
would honour our reservation, the Eliot Arms in South Cerney took my card
and put it in an envelope in the till. Bearing in mind this is a quite
upmarket area, I was extremely surprised. Naturally, we will never go there
again, not anywhere else that does that - I refuse to be assumed guilty
until proved innocent! Had we not had hungry friends with us, I would have
made my views known in no uncertain manner and walked straight out. As it
was I paid first and then made my views known.

I was stopping in a pub earlier this year where they did that. They had
been getting several runners a week (easily £100 a time). It doesn't
take many of those to cause major cash flow problems. Sadly it doesn't
matter how up market an area is, there are thieves at all levels.

Sadly, true. Fortunately, there are plenty of hostelries around here who
won't embarrass me in front of friends, so I shall go to them.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
In message , Bob Henson
writes

That happened to me for the first time a couple of months back. Before
they
would honour our reservation, the Eliot Arms in South Cerney took my card
and put it in an envelope in the till. Bearing in mind this is a quite
upmarket area, I was extremely surprised. Naturally, we will never go
there
again, not anywhere else that does that - I refuse to be assumed guilty
until proved innocent! Had we not had hungry friends with us, I would have
made my views known in no uncertain manner and walked straight out. As it
was I paid first and then made my views known.

I was stopping in a pub earlier this year where they did that.

Wonder what they do with those that pay with their phone now ?

They had been getting several runners a week (easily £100 a time). It
doesn't take many of those to cause major cash flow problems. Sadly it
doesn't matter how up market an area is, there are thieves at all levels.

No reason why they can't charge you when you order.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 19:40, Adrian wrote:
In message , Bob Henson
writes

That happened to me for the first time a couple of months back. Before
they
would honour our reservation, the Eliot Arms in South Cerney took my card
and put it in an envelope in the till. Bearing in mind this is a quite
upmarket area, I was extremely surprised. Naturally, we will never go
there
again, not anywhere else that does that - I refuse to be assumed guilty
until proved innocent! Had we not had hungry friends with us, I would
have
made my views known in no uncertain manner and walked straight out. As it
was I paid first and then made my views known.

I was stopping in a pub earlier this year where they did that.Â* They had
been getting several runners a week (easily £100 a time).Â* It doesn't
take many of those to cause major cash flow problems.Â* Sadly it doesn't
matter how up market an area is, there are thieves at all levels.

I fail to see how it protects them from runners who nicked the card
earlier that day or bought it for a tenner from a fellow criminal who
did so.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rod Speed
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
In message , Bob Henson
writes

[...]

absolutely none, but there is convenience in paying for everything at once.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

Sure, but its presumably better than doing nothing at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 21:19, Rod Speed wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message

I fail to see how it protects them from runners who nicked the card
earlier that day or bought it for a tenner from a fellow criminal who
did so.

Sure, but its presumably better than doing nothing at all.

I was seeking to contrast it with the protection offered by the
pre-authorization I mentioned earlier.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message

I fail to see how it protects them from runners who nicked the card
earlier that day or bought it for a tenner from a fellow criminal who
did so.

Sure, but its presumably better than doing nothing at all.

I was seeking to contrast it with the protection offered by the
pre-authorization I mentioned earlier.

Sure, but it is less effort to do it their way and if they dont
get that many who deliberately show up with a maxed out
or stolen card, it may be a lot better than doing nothing.