Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Why doesn't the credit card company put your photograph on your card?

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:12:51 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Maybe. If the card works without a photo or a signature on the back,
why worry. Instead of a signature on the card write:

"Check Identification"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2011 4:12 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

No. Do you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 4:12*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Only when I think of how much more the CC companies would charge us to
obtain, update and maintain our pictures in their database.

You know that they won't do it for free.

And what exactly would be the point? Most places don't even look at
the credit card these days. Mostly we just swipe and pocket.

I don't think they've actually checked my signature in years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:40:39 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 19, 4:12*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Only when I think of how much more the CC companies would charge us to
obtain, update and maintain our pictures in their database.

You know that they won't do it for free.

Wow..............really? My niece just had a picture of her
Pomeranian put on her ATM card....................for free.

And what exactly would be the point?

The point? Have a guess.

Most places don't even look at
the credit card these days. Mostly we just swipe and pocket.

I don't think they've actually checked my signature in years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Dec 19, 4:12*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Only when I think of how much more the CC companies would charge us to
obtain, update and maintain our pictures in their database.

You know that they won't do it for free.

Wow..............really? My niece just had a picture of her
Pomeranian put on her ATM card....................for free.

And what exactly would be the point?

The point? Have a guess.

Sorry....that was the asshole coming out.

I shouldn't have been so flippant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

I have thought that for years. I have check ID on back of card. Clerks look
at it and don't ask to see ID. A few years ago when WalMart always asked to
see card to match signature I handed the card to casher then asked for it
back so I could see how to sign since I found the card (not really) in the
parking lot. She handed the card back so I could look at it. So much for
that idea. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2011 3:12 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Most credit card companies provide a card personalization service,
where you go to their website and choose a stock image OR upload one
of your own. Then they create a new card for you featuring your
selected image.
So - check with your card provider if you want your photo on your card.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Dec 19, 4:12*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Only when I think of how much more the CC companies would charge us to
obtain, update and maintain our pictures in their database.

You know that they won't do it for free.

Wow..............really? * My niece just had a picture of her
Pomeranian put on her ATM card....................for free.

And what exactly would be the point?

The point? * Have a guess.

Sorry....that was the asshole coming out.

I shouldn't have been so flippant.

That's OK.

Merry Christmas or Happy (insert your holiday here)!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Dec 19, 4:12*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Only when I think of how much more the CC companies would charge us to
obtain, update and maintain our pictures in their database.

You know that they won't do it for free.

Wow..............really? * My niece just had a picture of her
Pomeranian put on her ATM card....................for free.

And what exactly would be the point?

The point? * Have a guess.

Most places don't even look at

the credit card these days. Mostly we just swipe and pocket.

I don't think they've actually checked my signature in years.

Do you really think that putting a picture of a dog - any dog...in
fact, *anybody's* dog - is the same thing as putting the card owner's
photo on the card?

I'm guessing she's not using the dog to identify herself. There's no
liability on the CC company's part in putting a pet or a flower or
your first car on the card.

However, if the CC company is going to put your picture on the card so
that it can be used to prove that the holder is the card owner, I'm
guessing (but I don't know for sure) that there is some liability on
their part and therefore it won't be free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

I'd rather have a chip & pin card like they use in Europe. Lost card?
No big deal, useless without the pin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

No, but it won't do anything to cut down credit card fraud, which is what you
are really asking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:14:36 -0700, "WW"
wrote:

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

I have thought that for years. I have check ID on back of card. Clerks look
at it and don't ask to see ID. A few years ago when WalMart always asked to
see card to match signature I handed the card to casher then asked for it
back so I could see how to sign since I found the card (not really) in the
parking lot. She handed the card back so I could look at it. So much for
that idea. WW

Matching two signatures takes a little more skill/effort than matching
photos. I am sure that some clerks will take the card from anyone,
but having your photo on your card might keep some people from trying
to use it.

Putting your photo on the card would be as simple as emailing the card
company a photo.

Just saying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/11 4:12 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

It takes resources to put photos on drivers' licenses and resources to
check. The nice policeman shines his light in your face, radios
information from your license, and asks you questions.

I don't know how much CC fraud involves stealing numbers to manufacture
cards. Photos wouldn't stop that.

When I tried to buy gasoline a couple of years ago, the pump computer
asked my billing zip code. That would screen most people with stolen or
counterfeit cards, but the phrasing of the question left me unsure
whether it meant the zip code where I received my bills or the one where
I sent my payments. I guessed the latter and was rejected. I went in
to the clerk, explained the problem, and offered ID. No, the computer's
rejection was final.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Citibank did that as an option years ago. They sent us something
saying that if we wanted our pictures on the cards, they would do it
for free. However, we had to have the pictures taken at our expense
(similar to a passport picture). I never got around to it and they
stopped asking a year or so later. I have a feeling very few did it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually, even simpler....

Capital One (the "What's in your wallet" people with the viking
commerical) gives you the option to personalize your card online.

http://www.capitalone.com/imagecard/

imo the best fraud prevention device would be having a PIN for credit
cards just like debit cards

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hell Toupee" wrote in message
On 12/19/2011 3:12 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Most credit card companies provide a card personalization service,
where you go to their website and choose a stock image OR upload one
of your own. Then they create a new card for you featuring your
selected image.
So - check with your card provider if you want your photo on your card.

I've had my picture on my CC for at least 10 years. The branch office has a
polaroid camera for new applicants. This weekend I got a call from the
bank's fraud unit asking if I made a $7 charge in NJ. The card is used only
at Netflix and Amazon, so I asked the agent "How is this possible? Did one
of the two of these vendors get hacked?

She assured me that "perps" (yes, she used that word) have devised equipment
that lets them "create" likely CC numbers and then they try those created
numbers at gas stations or for small purchases. If those go through, they
know they have a good card. Just like dialing random numbers. They're
sending me a new card tomorrow.

This is the same bank that returned someone else's debit card to me when I
was cashing a check at the drive-in window so I take her explanation with a
grain of salt. I suspect accidents like that (and several others) are
because they've been trained to engage in useless small talk with their
customers and they're not focused on what they are doing.

"Are you having a good day, Mr. Green. Is there anything else I can do for
you?" etc. while they're busy counting out the wrong amount (once), giving
me the wrong denominations even though I made my request clear and
depositing check that a) had no accompanying deposit ticket and b) said
"PETTY CASH" on the memo line. Ot-nay oo-tay right-bay.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:gaave7pnie2vtqj6tsgbica0pftgcbb1ud@
4ax.com:

wrote:

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Maybe. If the card works without a photo or a signature on the back,
why worry. Instead of a signature on the card write:

"Check Identification"

Here's the problem I have with that...from the retail POV.

I work in a lumber yard at counter sales. I see cards with that written
on it. I really don't care what they have there. I'm not qualified to
verify signatures. That's a profession. If people start writing their own
validation methods on cards, am I then on the hook for that. If a bad
card comes through will the CC companies say I failed to properly
validate a signature? A photo? What if the card says call a phone number
for verification. Do I make everybody wait while I call some phone? This
is not McLowes. Three contractors waiting in line is not acceptable. What
if there's no answer? Do I refuse the sale? What if some jaboni has "Take
Thumbprint" on the card?

Get what I mean? People will come up with all kinds of things without
regard for the impact it has on anyone else.

I run the card. The system verifies the sale with an automated auth
number. Thats' what the retail business pays a percentage for. Part of
that percentage is for guaranteed payment. Thats' the way I see it
anyway. Just MHO.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SG SG is offline

J Burns wrote:
On 12/19/11 4:12 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

It takes resources to put photos on drivers' licenses and resources to
check. The nice policeman shines his light in your face, radios
information from your license, and asks you questions.

I don't know how much CC fraud involves stealing numbers to manufacture
cards. Photos wouldn't stop that.

When I tried to buy gasoline a couple of years ago, the pump computer
asked my billing zip code. That would screen most people with stolen or
counterfeit cards, but the phrasing of the question left me unsure
whether it meant the zip code where I received my bills or the one where
I sent my payments. I guessed the latter and was rejected. I went in
to the clerk, explained the problem, and offered ID. No, the computer's
rejection was final.

I absopositivelutely do not know the zip code where I send CC bills.

I sign the back of my CCs with "Ask For ID". Maybe one out of hundred
transactions the clerk looks at the back of the card. shrug
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

I have had my photo on my credit card for many years-works great!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 9:12*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Or have an embedded micro-processor so that the card can't be used
without a PIN number?
Oh damn, we all have them in Europe. Primitive American credit/debt
cards are a problem over here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

It's not actually 100%.
Fraudsters over here fix cameras/in line devices/false fronts to ATMs
to find out the PIN number. But is makes it a whole lot harder for
them.
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/378268-m...t-card-factory

Losing a credit card though is no big deal.

And it doesn't prevent internet/phone fraud.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 3:09*am, wrote:
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:43:37 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

Matching two signatures takes a little more skill/effort than matching
photos. *I am sure that some clerks will take the card from anyone,
but having your photo on your card might keep some people from trying
to use it.

Putting your photo on the card would be as simple as emailing the card
company a photo.

Just saying. *

But what if you mailed them a photo of yourself in the nude! *

Well,you'd have to strip off for every CC payment you made.
(You proud of your dick size then?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chip & pin fraud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3XFq...79CF662C9EB337
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote in
:

Metspitzer wrote:

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

No, but it won't do anything to cut down credit card fraud, which is
what you are really asking.

I often get asked for photo ID when using a credit card for purchases over
some small amount. Guy at the tire store asked for TWO photo IDs,for a $78
charge.
And the gas pumps where I buy gas ask for my zip code.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news

wrote:

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Maybe. If the card works without a photo or a signature on the back,
why worry. Instead of a signature on the card write:

"Check Identification"

I have that on all of my cards, they actually check about 10% of the
time.

Accepting a card without a signature is a violation of the merchant's credit
card acceptance agreement. Since I only have internet sales it's not a
problem for me, but our local post offices have large signs saying that they
will not accept an unsigned card. I've seen several people not allowed to
use any of their cards because they were all unsigned.

And...since most card fraud is through skimmed or spoofed data where they
just use the numbers to make a new card, they change the name anyway. So...a
picture or a signature is pointless. They can put whatever they want on it.
Since the numbers are valid, the card will go through, at least until the
cardholder checks the account. People who refuse to sign their card are just
stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message
On 12/19/11 4:12 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
When I tried to buy gasoline a couple of years ago, the pump computer
asked my billing zip code. That would screen most people with stolen or
counterfeit cards, but the phrasing of the question left me unsure whether
it meant the zip code where I received my bills or the one where I sent my
payments. I guessed the latter and was rejected. I went in to the clerk,
explained the problem, and offered ID. No, the computer's rejection was
final.

Why would it be where you sent your payments? Why would you even know that
zip code? You're very odd.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

My Costco AmEx card does have a photo on the back. And it has been
compromised twice in the last three months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 4:12*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Years ago, a company (Capital One?) used to make a huge deal out of
having your photo on the card, but I haven't seen it advertised
lately.

It was in the time before literally everyone owned a digital camera,
and had email. You needed to send in an actual photo, like a passport
photo. I know I don't keep passport-size head shots of myself lying
around, so I would have had to run into the city and find a shop that
does passport photos.

It was probably too much bother for most customers so the option
wasn't popular.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 6:48*pm, J Burns wrote:

When I tried to buy gasoline a couple of years ago, the pump computer
asked my billing zip code. *That would screen most people with stolen or
counterfeit cards, but the phrasing of the question left me unsure
whether it meant the zip code where I received my bills or the one where
I sent my payments.

My confusion was " I have no idea what zip code I'm in" LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Some do.

Capital One for example. Here's how you do it:
http://www.capitalone.com/imagecard/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2011 8:25 PM, RobertPatrick wrote:
The only place I get my CC stolen is buying over the internet.

I use a prepaid credit card for over The Internet purchases. I have 2 of
them. I find out how much money the vendor wants for the item/s and
load that much or a little more on the prepaid card. The prepaid card
isn't connected to my bank account so there is no danger of a dobad
getting into my bank account via The Web. If I had a credit card that
provided me with a one time number for each online purchase, I'd use
that. I ordered some equipment from a company in Californiastan one time
and I later found out that someone tried to make their car payment to a
finance company in Texas using my card number. There wasn't enough money
loaded into the card and it was refused at no cost to me. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 02:32:36 -0500, J Burns
wrote:

I'm glad I've found somebody who is familiar with the situation. How
was the zip-code request phrased? I remember now it had the word
"institution." I stood there wishing they'd asked my own zip code.

They don't want your zip code. They wand the zip code of where the
bill is sent. It may or may not be the same as your home. When I use
my company AMEX, they often ask for the zip code.

With my company gas card, I had to call customer service. I called
from work OK but when I called from home, they asked for the zip code
since the caller ID did not match their records.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:29:51 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

I often get asked for photo ID when using a credit card for purchases
over some small amount. Guy at the tire store asked for TWO photo
IDs,for a $78 charge.
And the gas pumps where I buy gas ask for my zip code.

You maybe look like a thug? Live in a though neighborhood?

59 yr old bald guy,with white goatee. my neighborhood seems pretty non-
thug.
Although I was in Orlando for the tire store.That's gone heavily
hispanic,with the resultant crime increase.

Sometimes AMEX needs the zip code punched in, but not all the time.
Never had to for any card using gas.

Don't recall ever being asked for another ID but I may have been.
Could be because I look like Tom Sellek people get confused. Yeah,
that's it.

in my younger days,people thought I looked like Lee Greenwood.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

I rarely give my card to anyone, but it happens, and I have charged several
thousand at one time. They usually just swipe it.

I was impressed with capital one. They cancelled my card and notified me of
possible fraud. They verified with me. Photos don't work on Internet
transactions.
They sent me a new card.

I wish I knew the source of the fraud.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm glad I've found somebody who is familiar with the situation. How
was the zip-code request phrased? I remember now it had the word
"institution." I stood there wishing they'd asked my own zip code.

They don't want your zip code. They wand the zip code of where the
bill is sent. It may or may not be the same as your home. When I use
my company AMEX, they often ask for the zip code.

With my company gas card, I had to call customer service. I called
from work OK but when I called from home, they asked for the zip code
since the caller ID did not match their records.

When I order online, they ask for "billing address" and "shipping
address." I've never had trouble understanding "billing address." I
might have expected the gas pump to ask for my billing zip code, but it
used a phrase that seemed to mean something else. Somewhere there's a
programmer still laughing about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertPatrick wrote in news:4ef1439a$0$32192$c3e8da3
:

The only place I get my CC stolen is buying over the internet.

Discover has virtual account numbers. Valid only for the vendor it's first
used for. Useles to anyone else who gets it. Always use them for Internet
purchases.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2011 16:37, Red Green wrote:

Discover has virtual account numbers. Valid only for the vendor it's first
used for. Useles to anyone else who gets it. Always use them for Internet
purchases.

Citibank and Bank of America have more security features than Discover
with virtual account numbers -- you can specify a dollar and time limit
for each virtual card. Sometimes the single vendor feature can
backfire. One example is booking a vacation package with a travel
agency. They may forward your card number to the airline(s), hotel(s),
and other service providers to charge directly.