Posted to alt.home.repair
h[_11_] h[_11_] is offline

Default OT Why doesn't the credit card company put your photograph on your card?

wrote in message
news
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:17:10 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:12:51 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Maybe. If the card works without a photo or a signature on the back,
why worry. Instead of a signature on the card write:

"Check Identification"

I have that on all of my cards, they actually check about 10% of the
time.

Accepting a card without a signature is a violation of the merchant's credit
card acceptance agreement. Since I only have internet sales it's not a
problem for me, but our local post offices have large signs saying that they
will not accept an unsigned card. I've seen several people not allowed to
use any of their cards because they were all unsigned.

And...since most card fraud is through skimmed or spoofed data where they
just use the numbers to make a new card, they change the name anyway. So...a
picture or a signature is pointless. They can put whatever they want on it.
Since the numbers are valid, the card will go through, at least until the
cardholder checks the account. People who refuse to sign their card are just
stupid.