Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default OT Why doesn't the credit card company put your photograph on your card?

Oren wrote in news:gaave7pnie2vtqj6tsgbica0pftgcbb1ud@
4ax.com:

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:12:51 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

Anyone think having your photo on your card is a bad idea?

Maybe. If the card works without a photo or a signature on the back,
why worry. Instead of a signature on the card write:

"Check Identification"

Here's the problem I have with that...from the retail POV.

I work in a lumber yard at counter sales. I see cards with that written
on it. I really don't care what they have there. I'm not qualified to
verify signatures. That's a profession. If people start writing their own
validation methods on cards, am I then on the hook for that. If a bad
card comes through will the CC companies say I failed to properly
validate a signature? A photo? What if the card says call a phone number
for verification. Do I make everybody wait while I call some phone? This
is not McLowes. Three contractors waiting in line is not acceptable. What
if there's no answer? Do I refuse the sale? What if some jaboni has "Take
Thumbprint" on the card?

Get what I mean? People will come up with all kinds of things without
regard for the impact it has on anyone else.

I run the card. The system verifies the sale with an automated auth
number. Thats' what the retail business pays a percentage for. Part of
that percentage is for guaranteed payment. Thats' the way I see it
anyway. Just MHO.