Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Credit card receipt

On 13/11/2017 23:31, Bill wrote:

I'm asking here because people here know everything, and an online
search hasn't produced a clear answer.

My wife paid by credit card in a small local shop.

She looked at the receipt when she got home and noticed that it said
Merchant Copy and had the full credit card number, plus start and end
date. I don't believe it had the security number from the back or, of
course, her Pin number.
She became alarmed (nothing new) and expected me to know whether the
business could be trusted not to spend all her money using phone
payments. She says the owner is a nice man.

It looks as though this may be fairly normal to allow businesses to make
refunds, provided the receipts are held securely under lock and key and
destroyed securely after a certain, unspecified, time.

Does anyone know whether the law in the UK is specific about holding the
unencrypted, printed data locally, and whether there is any financial
danger.

It isn't that long ago that credit card (and debit card) transactions
were done by an 'imprint' machine and the shop kept a 'carbon copy' of
your receipt which had all the embossed bits of your card on it.

I've not seen one in some time but then nor have I signed a credit card
bill in the UK for years, yet I was asked to in the US a year or so back
(ie no PIN) so there could still be imprint machines out there.

Also, you give the same details - plus the three digits from the back-
when you do a phone transaction or online transaction.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud