Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Credit card receipt

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 00:23:50 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

On 13/11/2017 23:31, Bill wrote:

I'm asking here because people here know everything, and an online
search hasn't produced a clear answer.

My wife paid by credit card in a small local shop.

It isn't that long ago that credit card (and debit card) transactions
were done by an 'imprint' machine and the shop kept a 'carbon copy' of
your receipt which had all the embossed bits of your card on it.

I've not seen one in some time but then nor have I signed a credit card
bill in the UK for years, yet I was asked to in the US a year or so back
(ie no PIN) so there could still be imprint machines out there.

I think it was about 18 months to two years ago that I last used
that method , first time for years .
Was at a show of some kind and the merchant could no get a cellular
signal for his electronic terminal so brought the old machine out.
I didn't realise they could still do this and judging by in similar
circumstances the number of traders who put up a "Sorry Cash" only
notice a lot of traders either don't either or there are hoops and
risks to go through to retain it which many don't want to be involved
with.

G.Harman