Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Download for Windows Live Mail Email Client

For many years I have used Windows Live Mail. However, I bought a new Acer
laptop last week and have been unable to install it because MS no longer
supports it. I tried to transfer it from my old computer but not having the
..exe file in my Downloads folder I am stumped. Can anyone offer me guidance
in this regard. I am computer literate but by no means an expert. My thanks
in advance.

Alaric.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2017 10:28, Alaric wrote:
For many years I have used Windows Live Mail. However, I bought a new
Acer laptop last week and have been unable to install it because MS no
longer supports it. I tried to transfer it from my old computer but not
having the .exe file in my Downloads folder I am stumped. Can anyone
offer me guidance in this regard. I am computer literate but by no means
an expert. My thanks in advance.

This link still seems to allow a download:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...dows_live.html

(at your own risk and all that!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/07/2017 10:28, Alaric wrote:
For many years I have used Windows Live Mail. However, I bought a new
Acer laptop last week and have been unable to install it because MS no
longer supports it. I tried to transfer it from my old computer but not
having the .exe file in my Downloads folder I am stumped. Can anyone
offer me guidance in this regard. I am computer literate but by no means
an expert. My thanks in advance.

This link still seems to allow a download:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...dows_live.html

(at your own risk and all that!)

I was looking for an "outlook express" clone for windows 7 and 10 but you
have to pay for it.....can't beat outlook express ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2017 14:11, Biggles wrote:
"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/07/2017 10:28, Alaric wrote:
For many years I have used Windows Live Mail. However, I bought a new
Acer laptop last week and have been unable to install it because MS no
longer supports it. I tried to transfer it from my old computer but not
having the .exe file in my Downloads folder I am stumped. Can anyone
offer me guidance in this regard. I am computer literate but by no means
an expert. My thanks in advance.

This link still seems to allow a download:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...dows_live.html

(at your own risk and all that!)

I was looking for an "outlook express" clone for windows 7 and 10 but you
have to pay for it.....can't beat outlook express ......

I think you can.....
Mozilla Thunderbird.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

Biggles

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/07/2017 10:28, Alaric wrote:
For many years I have used Windows Live Mail. However, I bought a new
Acer laptop last week and have been unable to install it because MS no
longer supports it. I tried to transfer it from my old computer but not
having the .exe file in my Downloads folder I am stumped. Can anyone
offer me guidance in this regard. I am computer literate but by no means
an expert. My thanks in advance.

This link still seems to allow a download:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...dows_live.html

(at your own risk and all that!)

I was looking for an "outlook express" clone for windows 7 and 10 but you
have to pay for it.....can't beat outlook express ......

I think you can.....Mozilla Thunderbird.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

Biggles

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Biggles" wrote in message
news
"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/07/2017 10:28, Alaric wrote:
For many years I have used Windows Live Mail. However, I bought a new
Acer laptop last week and have been unable to install it because MS no
longer supports it. I tried to transfer it from my old computer but not
having the .exe file in my Downloads folder I am stumped. Can anyone
offer me guidance in this regard. I am computer literate but by no
means
an expert. My thanks in advance.

This link still seems to allow a download:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...dows_live.html

(at your own risk and all that!)

I was looking for an "outlook express" clone for windows 7 and 10 but you
have to pay for it.....can't beat outlook express ......

I think you can.....Mozilla Thunderbird.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

Biggles

hate it... just tried OE Classic ...not bad but not as good as OE ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/07/2017 10:28, Alaric wrote:
For many years I have used Windows Live Mail. However, I bought a new
Acer laptop last week and have been unable to install it because MS no
longer supports it. I tried to transfer it from my old computer but not
having the .exe file in my Downloads folder I am stumped. Can anyone
offer me guidance in this regard. I am computer literate but by no means
an expert. My thanks in advance.

This link still seems to allow a download:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...dows_live.html

(at your own risk and all that!)

A week or so ago I tried to install this download from majorgeeks on two
different PCs: one with Windows 7 and one with Windows 10. But it failed to
install, giving a fairly uninformative error message.

All I wanted it for was as a vehicle to read .eml files that had been made
on another PC and use its "export to MS Exchange" menu to get the email
messages into Outlook's .pst file. Outlook (incredibly) doesn't have its own
"import from eml" option, nor can you drag and drop eml files into an
Outlook mail folder because there is no converter present.

Eventually I had to download a paid-for program which can read eml files
from a folder and generate a brand new pst file containing the messages in a
mail folder. From there it is a simple matter to tell Outlook to open that
data file in addition to the one it is already using, select all the
messages and drag/drop them into the folder in the "real" pst file - then
discard the temporary pst file.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2017 14:28, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Biggles" wrote in message
news
"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

It's all down to preference.

I use Thunderbird at home and Outlook at work, I prefer Thunderbird. If
it wasn't available, I'd use Outlook happily enough.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 6:11:10 AM UTC+10, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/07/2017 14:28, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Biggles" wrote in message
news
"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

What about web based email Gmail?!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think one has to be careful as some downloads are just the stub loader and
rely on the files being on Microsofts server which they are not. Given time
I might be able to find a version with all files from before the removal.
However to be honest I use Outlook Express now hacked to work on windows 10
7 etc, which I think cost about 20 Euros to register for three machines.
Not official but the only problem I have found with it is that Microsoft
trash it on a major update to windows 10.
Other than that you can still use Thunderbird, and if not blind you can use
many other clients like Outlook Express clasic and others which are look
alikes but sadly don't work with my screenreader.

The mail app in windows is usable but I don't think it does news.

I'm using Outlook express at the moment on windows 7.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/07/2017 10:28, Alaric wrote:
For many years I have used Windows Live Mail. However, I bought a new
Acer laptop last week and have been unable to install it because MS no
longer supports it. I tried to transfer it from my old computer but not
having the .exe file in my Downloads folder I am stumped. Can anyone
offer me guidance in this regard. I am computer literate but by no means
an expert. My thanks in advance.

This link still seems to allow a download:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...dows_live.html

(at your own risk and all that!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or of course Seamonkey which integrates browser with email client.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Biggles" wrote in message
news
"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem with Thunderbird is it uses different keys and hads just one big
tree view which I find annoying just like Live mail. Why Microsoft and
others removed identities is a complete mystery. its also a mystery why they
went with ribbon menues which seem to most of us to be a cobbled together
mess of bits of toolbars and dialogues all sho horned into to tree view.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 10/07/2017 14:11, Biggles wrote:
"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Outlook is not free though its apart of office though you can buy it stand
alone. it is however a bit of a sledge hammer to crack a nut and I find it
irritating.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 10/07/2017 14:28, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Biggles" wrote in message
news
"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Web based interfaces mean that if you have several addresses with different
providers you have to keep logging in and out of different sites and of
course the format can be changed at will which is really irritating.
Brian

--
----- -

wrote in message
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 6:11:10 AM UTC+10, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/07/2017 14:28, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Biggles" wrote in message
news "J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The outlook express that will cost you for keys but works well on 7 and ten
is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zzk0ox2kv..._v2.1.exe?dl=1

Live mail I seem to have is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rc41elc990...aller.exe?dl=1

I don't know if it relies on seeing microsofts site or not.

Brian

--
----- -

wrote in message
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 6:11:10 AM UTC+10, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/07/2017 14:28, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Biggles" wrote in message
news "J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
The problem with Thunderbird is it uses different keys and hads just one
big tree view which I find annoying just like Live mail. Why Microsoft and
others removed identities is a complete mystery. its also a mystery why
they went with ribbon menues which seem to most of us to be a cobbled
together mess of bits of toolbars and dialogues all sho horned into to
tree view.
Brian

yes you can't beat outlook express MS fecked up with live mail.......try
OECLASSIC only thing is I don't see how to expand threads it just lists all
messages as they come in ......don't see any + button they talk about
........perhaps you need the paid version for that....just wish OE would work
on windows 7 and 10 .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 14:29:12 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 10/07/2017 14:11, Biggles wrote:
"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Wrong, you can beat it with a stout stick.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 14:29:12 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 10/07/2017 14:11, Biggles wrote:
"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I beat it OK ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2017 14:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 14:11:41 +0100, Biggles wrote:

"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/07/2017 10:28, Alaric wrote:
For many years I have used Windows Live Mail. However, I bought a new
Acer laptop last week and have been unable to install it because MS
no longer supports it. I tried to transfer it from my old computer
but not having the .exe file in my Downloads folder I am stumped. Can
anyone offer me guidance in this regard. I am computer literate but
by no means an expert. My thanks in advance.

This link still seems to allow a download:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...dows_live.html

(at your own risk and all that!)

I was looking for an "outlook express" clone for windows 7 and 10 but
you have to pay for it.....can't beat outlook express ......

I think you can.....Mozilla Thunderbird.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

Biggles

As a plain email client, it's just about OK.

But the Lightening Calendar add-in is pants with .hotmail accounts -
can't seem to create entries on the server side (and therefore propagate
them to a mobile client).

Not tried with hotmail accounts, but managed it ok with a google one.

Haven't the *zilla foundation just dropped Thunderbird from their suite ?
Which struck me as the most bizarre way forward, given that Outlook is -
and always has been - the centrepiece of MS Office.

ISTR they moved it from active development of new stuff to maintenance
only a while back.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2017 04:51, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 6:11:10 AM UTC+10, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/07/2017 14:28, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Biggles" wrote in message
news "J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

As I run my own mailserver, if I want to use webmail, I use Roundcube.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2017 14:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 10/07/2017 14:11, Biggles wrote:
"J1MBO" Wrote in message:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I'm using Thunderbird as a poor replacement for Outlook Express which is
also no longer available. My biggest moan is that Thunderbird keeps
freezing and has to be closed and re opened regularly.

Plus I cant work out how to just delete newsgroup threads rather than
archive them or how to block individuals.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/17 09:35, Muddymike wrote:
Plus I cant work out how to just delete newsgroup threads rather than
archive them or how to block individuals.

in a sense you cant delete a newgroup thread, just choose not to see it.
IIRC CTRL K is a good start on that

To block individiuals use message-create filter from message

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2017 09:35, Muddymike wrote:

I'm using Thunderbird as a poor replacement for Outlook Express which is
also no longer available. My biggest moan is that Thunderbird keeps
freezing and has to be closed and re opened regularly.

I would be tempted to do a clean install of it then, since that is not a
common behaviour.

Plus I cant work out how to just delete newsgroup threads rather than
archive them or how to block individuals.

Deleting - there are a few options. On more recent versions just hitting
the delete key on a posting will remove it from your machine. Hitting K
will kill a thread - next time you switch back to the group you have
killed threads in, they will not be shown. Shift + K will kill just sub
threads.

You can do much more with filters. Have a look at :

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...cess_tips#Tips

for some examples.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/17 10:42, John Rumm wrote:

I'm using Thunderbird as a poor replacement for Outlook Express which is
also no longer available. My biggest moan is that Thunderbird keeps
freezing and has to be closed and re opened regularly.

I would be tempted to do a clean install of it then, since that is not a
common behaviour.

Sadly on latest versions it is.

Worse is seems to be using a common core with firefox, so when won
freezes, so does the other.

The last three incarnations of Fierfx and thunderbird are the most
freeze/crash prone I have ever used.

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Muddymike wrote:

I'm using Thunderbird as a poor replacement for Outlook Express which is
also no longer available. My biggest moan is that Thunderbird keeps
freezing and has to be closed and re opened regularly.

I would be tempted to do a clean install of it then, since that is not a
common behaviour.

Or start by disabling all add-ons, as I've noticed some of the older
ones can cause problems with recent thunderbird releases.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/17 10:42, John Rumm wrote:

I'm using Thunderbird as a poor replacement for Outlook Express which is
also no longer available. My biggest moan is that Thunderbird keeps
freezing and has to be closed and re opened regularly.

I would be tempted to do a clean install of it then, since that is not
a common behaviour.

Sadly on latest versions it is.

Worse is seems to be using a common core with firefox, so when won
freezes, so does the other.

Perhaps this is something specific to the linux version? I have not been
getting any additional reports of problems from the 200 odd desktops I
manage running that combo under Windows...