Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off Topic: E-Mail Client Suggestions

Any suggestions for an email client that will run on Windows 7 (64-bit)?

The Live mail crap that comes with it is worthless and hard to see. I tried
to install Mozilla Thunderbird. It would send but not receive.

I need something that I can archive the messages easily and access them from
another location. Preferably without needing the email client.

Thanx guys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message

Any suggestions for an email client that will run on Windows 7 (64-bit)?

The Live mail crap that comes with it is worthless and hard to see. I
tried to install Mozilla Thunderbird. It would send but not receive.

I need something that I can archive the messages easily and access them
from another location. Preferably without needing the email client.

Thanx guys.

I was unhappy with the idea that Windows Live was all Win 7 could do for
mail until someone pointed out to me that Windows Live Mail is not the same
thing as Windows Live. Windows Live Mail is pretty much Outlook Express in
look and function. Once I had Windows Live Mail set up and my mail and news
looked like they had with OE in Windows XP I was a lot happier with Win 7.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

Any suggestions for an email client that will run on Windows 7 (64-bit)?

The Live mail crap that comes with it is worthless and hard to see. I
tried to install Mozilla Thunderbird. It would send but not receive.

I am currently running Thunderbird as an email client on Windows7
(64-bit) and I am using SeaMonkey, which is a very similar program,
as a newsgroup client and an email client. I'm not completely satisfied
with SeaMonkey as a newsgroup client, but I was in the
same position you were in a few weeks ago of having a new Windows7
system. Both of these programs are free. I suspect that you can
reconfigure Thunderbird to make it work. If you having it running on one
computer, you should be able to see what the settings (URLs and port
#'s) need to be on the new computer. Good luck!

Bill

I need something that I can archive the messages easily and access them
from another location. Preferably without needing the email client.

Thanx guys.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
:

Any suggestions for an email client that will run on Windows 7
(64-bit)?

The Live mail crap that comes with it is worthless and hard to see. I
tried to install Mozilla Thunderbird. It would send but not receive.

I need something that I can archive the messages easily and access
them from another location. Preferably without needing the email
client.

Thanx guys.

I use gmail quite a bit, but then you'd always need an internet
connection. Therefore, I also use Eudora 7.1.0.9. You could then copy
the mailbox folder to the location of your choice for whatever you mean
with
I need something that I can archive the messages easily and access
them from another location. Preferably without needing the email
client.

I'd use Karen's replicator to automagically copy things.

Eudora newsgroup: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Caveat: Eudora is not like Outhouse Express.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2010 1:26 AM, DGDevin wrote:
"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
message ...

Any suggestions for an email client that will run on Windows 7 (64-bit)?

The Live mail crap that comes with it is worthless and hard to see. I
tried to install Mozilla Thunderbird. It would send but not receive.

Windows Live Mail's more whistle than pig ... built by folks who,
instead of standing on the shoulders of the giants who came before them,
have the audacity to think they could improve upon the basically simple
requirements of an email/nntp client by the addition of whiz bang bells
and whistles ... welcome to the world of twenty something numb nuts.

I still think that trying to get TB working is your best bet. Switched
over to it, reluctantly, on my laptop after giving WLM a year of my time.

Not an elegant solution, but, and I looked hard, I don't think there is
anything in this day and age that will get you closer to what you've
been used to.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

I still think that trying to get TB working is your best bet. Switched
over to it, reluctantly, on my laptop after giving WLM a year of my time.

Not an elegant solution, but, and I looked hard, I don't think there is
anything in this day and age that will get you closer to what you've
been used to.

Karl, do try out Eudora. It's different, and doesn't do nntp of course
(that's what Xnews is for).

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2010 7:27 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

I still think that trying to get TB working is your best bet. Switched
over to it, reluctantly, on my laptop after giving WLM a year of my time.

Not an elegant solution, but, and I looked hard, I don't think there is
anything in this day and age that will get you closer to what you've
been used to.

Karl, do try out Eudora. It's different, and doesn't do nntp of course
(that's what Xnews is for).

I've tried it, Han. A number of times during the last ten years, but I
kept taking it off the hard drive because it simply did not suit me.

I got particular about my message client back in the hey day of FidoNet
(AAMOF, I co-wrote the very first Windows FidoNet message client for
echo mail back in the early 90's ... I did the GUI), and have been
ruined ever since.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Any suggestions for an email client that will run on Windows 7 (64-bit)?

The Live mail crap that comes with it is worthless and hard to see. I tried
to install Mozilla Thunderbird. It would send but not receive.

I need something that I can archive the messages easily and access them from
another location. Preferably without needing the email client.

Thanx guys.

As a computer engineer ...

I use Outlook, primarily because of work, but it makes a decent
all-in-one solution for me for email, contacts and calendar.

Microsoft offers Windows Mail Live (Free), not to be confused with MSN
Live (a.k.a. Hotmail). I have not personally used it but many of my
collegues and clients use it and are quite happy with it.

I also use GMail. It allows me to have my work mail and personal email
forwarded to one account. That makes life very easy when I'm on the
road and cannot connect directly.

There are a number of good email applications available, it just
depends on the features you want. One that is often used is Forte
Agent. Yes, it's a newreader but it is also an email application.

Good luck!
`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:

Any suggestions for an email client that will run on Windows 7
(64-bit)? The Live mail crap that comes with it is worthless and hard to
see. I
tried to install Mozilla Thunderbird. It would send but not receive.

I am currently running Thunderbird as an email client on Windows7
(64-bit) and I am using SeaMonkey, which is a very similar program,
as a newsgroup client and an email client. I'm not completely
satisfied with SeaMonkey as a newsgroup client, but I was in the
same position you were in a few weeks ago of having a new Windows7
system. Both of these programs are free. I suspect that you can
reconfigure Thunderbird to make it work. If you having it running on
one computer, you should be able to see what the settings (URLs and
port #'s) need to be on the new computer. Good luck!

Perhaps his inability to change the color scheme on Win 7 to something
suitable and his inability to get TB to work properly says more about his
capabilities than any deficiences in those - and possibly other - programs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" babbled this bull****

Perhaps his inability to change the color scheme on Win 7 to something
suitable and his inability to get TB to work properly says more about his
capabilities than any deficiences in those - and possibly other -
programs.

And perhaps you are an asshole.

For the record, I have vision and hearing problems. Also for the record, I
help out a few folks who have visual and other disabilities. The reason why
I got involved in this whole thing initially had to do with Microsoft's
proprietary format, DBX. Which is the email format used on older versions of
outlook express. I have been installing and training others to use a utility
program to recover their old emails.

I can assure you that pastel colors, shadowy fonts and transparent borders
are a nightmare of folks without visual acuity. It ain't my imagination. I
am working with several individuals with exactly the same problem. I will
find a solution and help implement I for them as well. I studied
electronics and went through an old school training program that emphasized
problem solving. I keep at it till the job is done.

I used Mozilla's installation program. And Comcast keeps changing my email
password. Once it get the password thing worked out, I will do a manual
install. The automatic one did not work. The fact that others got a TB up
and running on a 64 bit W7 is encouraging. That does seem like a viable
solution.

I am also looking at Agent. But from what I read, they are not ready for
the 64 bit just yet. Anybody hear anything about this?

The problem is very clear. Microsoft's solutions for email are not safe or
secure. And if you have to store very much volume, it impacts the computer
performance as well as corrupting the files. If you "compact' the files,
there is a good chance they will be corrupted as well.

I subscribe to several newsletters'. I will be subscribing to more soon. As
soon as I come up with an email client that allows a true archive function
and lets me access those files without having to reinstall them into the
email client.

As for visibility, I had no problem with the various color schemes under the
appearance option on the display function in control panel with Windows XP.
There were at least ten different color schemes that were easy to read.
There is nothing similar available under Windows 7. Just the video game,
cotton candy, yuppie crap.

I should also point out that my applications are very graphics oriented and
need to be sharp and clear. My regular applications on the windows 7 OS are
not looking that good. I will keep at it until I find a solution. But it
will not come from Microsoft. It will be a third party. Because, like you,
Microsoft doesn't give a ****.

The phones in my house are all thirty five years old. They have wires that
lead to phone jacks. And they have built in amplifiers that are far superior
to what you can buy now. I get all kinds of craps from various morons who re
"offended" that I have such relics in my house. If it was up to them, I
would never be able to talk on the phone because I don't have an apple
brainwashing device/toy. And it may seem hopelessly old school to use an old
color scheme. But I need something I can see. Microsoft doesn't give a damn.
And obviously neither do you.

For the most part, I enjoy your remarks Bub. But you are way off base here.
Just another insensitive asshole who makes my life difficult. I will come up
with a solution. I need to. And it is difficult to do so when surrounded by
idiots and folks who just don't care. And I am certain that it will destroy
your fantasy vision of me as an incompetent.

I asked the question here among friends because I knew there were some here
who could help. You sarcastic, moronic comments were not appreciated..

end of rant

Posted to rec.woodworking

BTW the fact that Thunderbird won't receive means you don't have the
setup correctly for receiving.
Goto server settings for receiving.
try resetting the parameters

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:
Han wrote:
Karl, do try out Eudora. It's different, and doesn't do nntp of course
(that's what Xnews is for).

I've tried it, Han. A number of times during the last ten years, but I
kept taking it off the hard drive because it simply did not suit me.

I got particular about my message client back in the hey day of FidoNet
(AAMOF, I co-wrote the very first Windows FidoNet message client for
echo mail back in the early 90's ... I did the GUI), and have been
ruined ever since.

I understand, Karl, and I feel for you. For me what counts is that all
email coming from several accounts (somewhere between 5 and 10) goes into a
central inbox first and then is filtered to many different mailboxes,
manually or automagically.

But indeed it would require some setup and real adjustment as to Eudora's
peculiarities, I think.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2010 11:02 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:
Han wrote:
Karl, do try out Eudora. It's different, and doesn't do nntp of course
(that's what Xnews is for).

I've tried it, Han. A number of times during the last ten years, but I
kept taking it off the hard drive because it simply did not suit me.

I got particular about my message client back in the hey day of FidoNet
(AAMOF, I co-wrote the very first Windows FidoNet message client for
echo mail back in the early 90's ... I did the GUI), and have been
ruined ever since.

I understand, Karl, and I feel for you. For me what counts is that all
email coming from several accounts (somewhere between 5 and 10) goes into a
central inbox first and then is filtered to many different mailboxes,
manually or automagically.

But indeed it would require some setup and real adjustment as to Eudora's
peculiarities, I think.

It's all in what you are either used to, or, somewhat like wives, what
you can learn to live with.

I disliked TB when I first started using it, but I disliked Windows Live
Mail much more ... MUCH.

Now that I've been using TB for about a year, I've gotten used to those
things I didn't initially like, and even gotten fond of some of them ...
go figure!

Familiarity generally breeds acceptance in some degree.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2010 11:24 AM, Swingman wrote:

Familiarity generally breeds acceptance in some degree.

On that same note ... finding software to replace something you've used
for years, coupled with the fact that the older you get the more
resistant to change you become, sometimes violently.

I've been using gasp Microsoft Money for my personal stuff for a
hundred years or so, and damned if it doesn't expire next month, and is
now bugging the isht out of with it's nagging every time I open it.

I know, I know ... I can get the "sunset version" offline for free ...
but screw that with no online capability, so I'm thinking about going to
Quicken, except that I am forced to use QuickBooks in one of my
businesses and have learned to loath Intuit's slick business practices,
I.e, forcing upgrade$ in order to maintain online capability.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be another option that will
interface with TurboTax while gracefully importing damn near 20 years of
..mny files.

I tried Quicken 20 years ago and it reminded me of a bad cartoon ... I
can't get over the interface to this day.

I feel your pain, Lee ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

[...]

I know, I know. I used Dollars and $ense until it collapsed. Have been
using Quicken ever since. I now upgrade generally every other year.
Won't go to 2011, since Quicken may be on its last legs since Quicken
and Mint merged. Note that Quicken and Quickbooks are 2 different
programs and may not be able to exchange files or info. I have never
been able to get TTax to import Quicken data, but that is in all
likelyhood me, not Quicken. Mint and banks' websites may be alternative

It is always really, really annoying that new versions of Quicken mainy
change the gui. alt.comp.software.financial.quicken will shortly have
the first reviews of Q2011, I think.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Still running the business and personal things on a DOS 2.0 based
program that has not had an update since 1990.

Have a text based database file with over 900 records that have about
30 fields/record and requires less than 300K.

Back then, they knew how to write tight code.

As long as XP allows me to continue to run this program, be a cold day
in hell before I update to W7.

As long as my task doesn't change, why should my software?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/10 2:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Still running the business and personal things on a DOS 2.0 based
program that has not had an update since 1990.

Have a text based database file with over 900 records that have about
30 fields/record and requires less than 300K.

Back then, they knew how to write tight code.

As long as XP allows me to continue to run this program, be a cold day
in hell before I update to W7.

As long as my task doesn't change, why should my software?

Lew

If you do take the plunge, avoid the 64 bit versions, that old software will
definitely not run under a 64 bit OS. Only way around that would be
dual booting, or running a 32 bit OS in a virtual machine.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2010 1:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Still running the business and personal things on a DOS 2.0 based
program that has not had an update since 1990.

Have a text based database file with over 900 records that have about
30 fields/record and requires less than 300K.

Back then, they knew how to write tight code.

As long as XP allows me to continue to run this program, be a cold day
in hell before I update to W7.

As long as my task doesn't change, why should my software?

Exactly ... as long as it doesn't talk back to you.

My mechanic is still using a DOS program for his business. Only time I
ever see that blue screen anymore is when having my truck serviced.
Brings back memories.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...snip...]

I am also looking at Agent. But from what I read, they are not ready for
the 64 bit just yet. Anybody hear anything about this?

http://www.forteinc.com/news/bulleti...agent60release

About halfway down, the news release from Nov 2009 says Agent 6 works
on Win 7, 32 or 64 bit.

[...snip...]
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Weisgram" wrote ..
[...snip...]

I am also looking at Agent. But from what I read, they are not ready for
the 64 bit just yet. Anybody hear anything about this?

http://www.forteinc.com/news/bulleti...agent60release

About halfway down, the news release from Nov 2009 says Agent 6 works
on Win 7, 32 or 64 bit.

Thank you sir.

I read something that said that they did not support the 64 bit version and
were working on it. Apparently they took care of it. I will definitely check
it out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"HeyBub" babbled this bull****

[...]

I apologize for giving you offense. It's just when someone irrationally and
ignorantly accuses one of my sources of income (I own a pile of Microsoft
stock) of evil, I won't let it stand unanswered.

You, of course, did not refute my hypothetical. Here's another: Your use of
profanity and invective make me think you're a liberal (cause that's what
they do when the facts are against them). Am I close?

On a more positive note, might I humbly suggest you give Linux a try? There
is a theory that Microsoft secretly funds the development of Linux so that
malcontents, cut-purses, nay-sayers, fishwives, and atheletes of the tongue
will migrate there and quit bothering normal folk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:
[...]

I don't know if it will import mny files, but if you abhor Quickbooks,
then you might want to look at Peachtree Accounting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In this march to the 64 bit world, makes you wonder how JPL ever
managed to get the Mars rover program operational with only 8 bit
technology.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
In this march to the 64 bit world, makes you wonder how JPL ever
managed to get the Mars rover program operational with only 8 bit
technology.

It helps if you can't tell the difference between inches and meters.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/18/2010 10:03 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
In this march to the 64 bit world, makes you wonder how JPL ever
managed to get the Mars rover program operational with only 8 bit
technology.

One suspects that in part they accomplished that by using supercomputers
to analyze what the thing had to do and boil it down to an algorithm
that could fit in the limited capacity of the CPU that they chose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 16, 7:51*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:
"HeyBub" babbled this bull****

[...]

{snip of usual I'm-trying-to-be-funny BS)

You apologize for giving offense...yeah. Sure. There are plenty of
worthy targets for your brand of...what is it, humor? When you have
something backfire on you, at least have the good graces to give an
honest apology and let it go at that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:

I apologize for giving you offense.

{snip of usual I'm-trying-to-be-funny BS)

You apologize for giving offense...yeah. Sure. There are plenty of
worthy targets for your brand of...what is it, humor? When you have
something backfire on you, at least have the good graces to give an
honest apology and let it go at that.

You're right, I made a mistake.

I retract the apology.

When someone, through ignorance or malice, falsely attacks an innocent
party, especially a party that I respect, I will call them on it and hold
them up to the contempt and ridicule they deserve.

Then, when they try to justify their assertions by playing the handicapped
card, and the exigent circumstances card, and claim their efforts to assist
others similarily afflicted is being thwarted by the intentional malovelence
of Microsoft, Comcast, or anyone but the only person all these institutions
have in common, I'll respond.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 19, 8:32*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

[...]

Spoken like a true schmuck. I guess I should stop expecting anything
more out of you, eh?

BTW, there was no "card playing". You were simply informed of
something you probably weren't aware of, and it was made known that it
caused offense. Your defense? Microsoft can do no wrong. Sheesh.

I could recite chapter and verse why that is a beyond stupid position
to hold, but the logic would bounce off of you like bullets off of
Superman. I guess that makes you Super HeyBoob. I'll just call you
Supes from now on - in recognition of your super power.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 16, 12:54*am, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:

Mozilla Thunderbird...would send but not receive.

Check your settings. Check with COMCAST - they should be able to point
you to a FAQ/Help Page listing the settings for Thunderbird.

I. too, was frustrated with Windows Seven and it's elimination of
Outlook / Windows Mail. But found Windows Live Mail and set it up to
read NetZero after a few miss-steps.

If it reads, it should write. If it reads, its likely NOT the client
software but the fellow setting it up.

As to the font size in Windows Live, you may be able to change that.
In other versions of Windows you could change the font size and/or
change the screen resolution to make things easier on old eyes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 16, 11:18*am, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

And then there is linux... That would solve your problem.

Maybe, maybe not. My son-in-law kept touting Linux for years. Finally
I handed him my ACER laptop and asked hime to set it up for me.

He can't get the dial-up working. Soething about the software modems
causes LINUX to hiccup. And, I've been told, if I ever do get the
laptop modem recognized and working, I won't be able to continue using
NetZero as NZ doesn't support LINUX/UNIX.

Trust me, if there was an easy way to leave Gates **** in the dust,
I'd have done so fifteen years ago.

Hell, I could like with MS-DOS 6.1
Posted to rec.woodworking

dot net wrote:

Mozilla Thunderbird...would send but not receive.

Check your settings. Check with COMCAST - they should be able to point
you to a FAQ/Help Page listing the settings for Thunderbird.

I have been through it a number of times with both Comcast and Thunderbird.
Still not receiving. Comcast was no help. And from what I can find out on
forums, etc, a certain percentage of the 64 W7 folks never get hooked up.

I. too, was frustrated with Windows Seven and it's elimination of
Outlook / Windows Mail. But found Windows Live Mail and set it up to
read NetZero after a few miss-steps.

I have Live Mail. The problem with any Microsoft email product is that the
format is easily corrupted and it is difficult to archive or store it. You
have to move the archived message back into the program to read it.

I need someway of storing large numbers of email publications outside of the
reader. And store it in a fashion that it can be easily read and sent to
other locations.

If it reads, it should write. If it reads, its likely NOT the client
software but the fellow setting it up.

That is logical. And I have tried every variation in configuring it I can.
Still no luck.

I will try out Agent today. See if that works.

As to the font size in Windows Live, you may be able to change that.
In other versions of Windows you could change the font size and/or
change the screen resolution to make things easier on old eyes.

The problem is not resolution of font size. The problem is the pastel colors
and washed out screen. The contrast available in XP just isn't there. You
have the high contrast modes that washes out certain portions of almost any
screen out there. Thereby eliminating important information and functions.
Another problem is that many websites and software will not allow you to
substitute a legible typeface. It is amazing the number of typefaces there
are that can only be ready by young eyes. Talk about age discrimination.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Aug 16, 11:18 am, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

And then there is linux... That would solve your problem.

Maybe, maybe not. My son-in-law kept touting Linux for years. Finally
I handed him my ACER laptop and asked hime to set it up for me.

He can't get the dial-up working. Soething about the software modems
causes LINUX to hiccup. And, I've been told, if I ever do get the
laptop modem recognized and working, I won't be able to continue using
NetZero as NZ doesn't support LINUX/UNIX.

Trust me, if there was an easy way to leave Gates **** in the dust,
I'd have done so fifteen years ago.

Hell, I could like with MS-DOS 6.1

Your problem may well be that there are no drivers for the unique hardware
in a laptop. You might try a USB modem.

I'd suggest a Mcintosh, but most of Apple's software is written by
Microsoft.

If it's any help, Bill Gates is no longer associated with Microsoft (aside
from being a stockholder).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
:

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
.
..
dot net wrote:

[...]

It's possible that my suggestion of using Eudora 7.1.0.9 got lost in my
discussions with Karl.

To reiterate: Eudora stores mail in textfiles caclled *.mbx files. In
this individual emails are concatenated with delimiters between, and a
separate *.toc file for each mbx file contains other info that helps
Eudora display individual emails. In other words, your email are
perfectly readable with a text editor, but it may at first be confusing.
Eudora of course displays emails just as well as any email reader. I've
never had problems with backgrounds or font colors, unless the sender did
something really weird, and even then Eudora easily helps you extract the
text.

Attachments are divorced from each email as the email comes in, and are
stored all together in a separate attachment directory. However, it is
fairly easy to copy or move the attachments from the display of each
individual email.

I am currently using this Eudora on XP Pro, Vista Home Basic and Win7
Pro, with no problems. As mentioned there is usenet support for Eudora
in nntp://comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/19/10 4:56 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Aug 16, 11:18 am, tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com wrote:

And then there is linux... That would solve your problem.

Maybe, maybe not. My son-in-law kept touting Linux for years. Finally
I handed him my ACER laptop and asked hime to set it up for me.

He can't get the dial-up working. Soething about the software modems
causes LINUX to hiccup. And, I've been told, if I ever do get the
laptop modem recognized and working, I won't be able to continue using
NetZero as NZ doesn't support LINUX/UNIX.

Trust me, if there was an easy way to leave Gates **** in the dust,
I'd have done so fifteen years ago.

Hell, I could like with MS-DOS 6.1

Your problem may well be that there are no drivers for the unique hardware
in a laptop. You might try a USB modem.

I believe all of those are software modems.

I'd suggest a Mcintosh, but most of Apple's software is written by
Microsoft.

What????

If it's any help, Bill Gates is no longer associated with Microsoft (aside
from being a stockholder).

Still Chairman of the Board.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:03:32 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

In this march to the 64 bit world, makes you wonder how JPL ever
managed to get the Mars rover program operational with only 8 bit
technology.

JPL didn't run WinBlows on the Mars Rover. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:56:52 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Aug 16, 11:18 am, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

And then there is linux... That would solve your problem.

Maybe, maybe not. My son-in-law kept touting Linux for years. Finally
I handed him my ACER laptop and asked hime to set it up for me.

He can't get the dial-up working. Soething about the software modems
causes LINUX to hiccup. And, I've been told, if I ever do get the
laptop modem recognized and working, I won't be able to continue using
NetZero as NZ doesn't support LINUX/UNIX.

Trust me, if there was an easy way to leave Gates **** in the dust,
I'd have done so fifteen years ago.

Hell, I could like with MS-DOS 6.1

Your problem may well be that there are no drivers for the unique hardware
in a laptop. You might try a USB modem.

That's always the problem with "soft" modems, the main reason I never bought
one.

I'd suggest a Mcintosh, but most of Apple's software is written by
Microsoft.

Most? Bull****. They wrote M$ Office and MediaPlayer for the MAC, of course,
but that's about it.

If it's any help, Bill Gates is no longer associated with Microsoft (aside
from being a stockholder).

Ballmer is far worse than Gates ever dreamed of being.