Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kind of off topic Junk mail

metspitzer wrote:
My sister and her two kids lived with me at one time. I still get her
mail.

I save a mound of it and take it with me when I visit her. Most of
the mail is from catalogs, but since she is a junk gift addict, she
wants me to save it for her.

Well yesterday I said.....forget this. I took a pile of the stuff and
marked "return to sender" and put it in the mail box.

Won't do any good. Postal regulations require the immediate disposal of
undeliverable "Standard Mail" (nee "bulk"). It doesn't get returned to the
sender. The only way to stop it is to call the sender and ask,
pretty-please, to be removed from their list.

Oh, another way is to submit a Change of Address to the post office in your
sister's name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My sister and her two kids lived with me at one time. I still get her
mail.

I save a mound of it and take it with me when I visit her. Most of
the mail is from catalogs, but since she is a junk gift addict, she
wants me to save it for her.

Well yesterday I said.....forget this. I took a pile of the stuff and
marked "return to sender" and put it in the mail box.

I also went online and found this:
http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

In the next month, I am going to try to stop everything I get,
unwanted, in the mail too.

I already called 1-888-5 OPT OUT

It was actually one of the few times I have been able to call, and be
helped, without having to talk to someone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
My sister and her two kids lived with me at one time. I still get her
mail.

I save a mound of it and take it with me when I visit her. Most of
the mail is from catalogs, but since she is a junk gift addict, she
wants me to save it for her.

Well yesterday I said.....forget this. I took a pile of the stuff and
marked "return to sender" and put it in the mail box.

Won't do any good. Postal regulations require the immediate disposal of
undeliverable "Standard Mail" (nee "bulk"). It doesn't get returned to the
sender. The only way to stop it is to call the sender and ask,
pretty-please, to be removed from their list.

You don't have to ask. You can tell.

United States Postal Service Form 1500.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 2:39*pm, metspitzer wrote:
My sister and her two kids lived with me at one time. *I still get her
mail.

I save a mound of it and take it with me when I visit her. *Most of
the mail is from catalogs, but since she is a junk gift addict, she
wants me to save it for her.

Well yesterday I said.....forget this. *I took a pile of the stuff and
marked "return to sender" and put it in the mail box.

I also went online and found this:http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

In the next month, I am going to try to stop everything I get,
unwanted, in the mail too.

I already called 1-888-5 OPT OUT

It was actually one of the few times I have been able to call, and be
helped, without having to talk to someone. *

Now that I read Mike's post his is definitely the way to go.

What I have done in the past is take the time to open the envelope
find the reply envelope and stuff everything in that envelope and mail
it back to them. The recepient (of the reply) has to pay the post
office for every envelope they get back. Since most of them get
returned first class it will cost them more to pay for getting their
own junk back than it did for them to print and mail it to you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Paulsen wrote in
:

HeyBub wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
My sister and her two kids lived with me at one time. I still get
her mail.

I save a mound of it and take it with me when I visit her. Most of
the mail is from catalogs, but since she is a junk gift addict, she
wants me to save it for her.

Well yesterday I said.....forget this. I took a pile of the stuff
and marked "return to sender" and put it in the mail box.

Won't do any good. Postal regulations require the immediate disposal
of undeliverable "Standard Mail" (nee "bulk"). It doesn't get
returned to the sender. The only way to stop it is to call the sender
and ask, pretty-please, to be removed from their list.

You don't have to ask. You can tell.

United States Postal Service Form 1500.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

I didn't read the whole 5 page thing but that appears to be for sexually
oriented advertisements only.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Mike Paulsen wrote:

(snip)
You don't have to ask. You can tell.

United States Postal Service Form 1500.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

I didn't read the whole 5 page thing but that appears to be for sexually
oriented advertisements only.

"...case law to allow the recipient to declare any mailpiece obscene,
for any reason whatsoever, with no requirement to state the reason(s)
for taking offense."

"Rulings have upheld the Supreme Court decision that the postal
customer's discretion is not subject to review."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

Urban legend has it that people would tape the envelope to a brick and
mail it and they would have to pay return postage on that....

Some companies now print the recipients name and other info, sometimes
even in barcode format, on the return envelope. Not sure what they are
going to do with the info, but it makes me nervous. Cutting out the info
is a lot of work.
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FlavorFlav" wrote in message
"HeyBub" wrote in
:

metspitzer wrote:
My sister and her two kids lived with me at one time. I still get
her mail.

I save a mound of it and take it with me when I visit her. Most of
the mail is from catalogs, but since she is a junk gift addict, she
wants me to save it for her.

Well yesterday I said.....forget this. I took a pile of the stuff
and marked "return to sender" and put it in the mail box.

Won't do any good. Postal regulations require the immediate disposal
of undeliverable "Standard Mail" (nee "bulk"). It doesn't get returned
to the sender. The only way to stop it is to call the sender and ask,
pretty-please, to be removed from their list.

Oh, another way is to submit a Change of Address to the post office in
your sister's name.

I Return to sender all the time. Let the post office go thru the hassle.
I get rid of it w/o having to drag the recycle box to the street with so
much junk mail. I can fit more glass and plastic in there now.

But what do you use to heat your house now?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kevin Ricks" wrote in message
Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

Wow! If they can figure out who returned their own junk they might do something
drastic? Like take you off their mailing list maybe. Why hide?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Paulsen wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Mike Paulsen wrote:

(snip)
You don't have to ask. You can tell.

United States Postal Service Form 1500.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

I didn't read the whole 5 page thing but that appears to be for
sexually oriented advertisements only.

"...case law to allow the recipient to declare any mailpiece obscene,
for any reason whatsoever, with no requirement to state the reason(s)
for taking offense."

"Rulings have upheld the Supreme Court decision that the postal
customer's discretion is not subject to review."

Oh yea, Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart's phrase "I know it when I
see it".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

the point is to put everything in the return envelope includung your
name & address.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:39:21 -0500, metspitzer
wrote:

My sister and her two kids lived with me at one time. I still get her
mail.

I save a mound of it and take it with me when I visit her. Most of
the mail is from catalogs, but since she is a junk gift addict, she
wants me to save it for her.

Well yesterday I said.....forget this. I took a pile of the stuff and
marked "return to sender" and put it in the mail box.

I also went online and found this:
http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

In the next month, I am going to try to stop everything I get,
unwanted, in the mail too.

I already called 1-888-5 OPT OUT

It was actually one of the few times I have been able to call, and be
helped, without having to talk to someone.

One comment about junk mail. Sometimes it's the only mail I get, and
it provides a valuable service. It lets you know the mail carrier has
gone, and there's no need to continue checking.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 21:08:15 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Mike Paulsen wrote in
:

HeyBub wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
[...]

I'm getting a lot of political junk mail addressed to my father.
That's strange considering he died 16 years ago and NEVER got mail at
this address (it's a house I bought 10 years ago. I didn't live here
before than, and my father didn't either).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 19:52:12 -0700, Kevin Ricks
wrote:

[snip]

Some companies now print the recipients name and other info, sometimes
even in barcode format, on the return envelope. Not sure what they are
going to do with the info, but it makes me nervous. Cutting out the info
is a lot of work.
Kevin

It makes it harder to donate anonymously. I usually try to do this, so
as not to "invite" more junk mail and junk phone calls (that actually
make me LESS likely to give them any more).

BTW, I'm on that national "do not call" list, but there's plenty of
exceptions (like all laws have).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Mark Lloyd wrote:

I'm getting a lot of political junk mail addressed to my father.
That's strange considering he died 16 years ago ...

Don't tell me that you are in one of those few jurisdictions
where dead people don't vote?

Seriously, when you do one of those postal change of address
forms indicating that all mail should be forwarded, junk mailers
get that information and update everyone's mailing address,
whether living there currently, living there ever, or living at all.
I receive credit card solicitations for a sibling that has
never lived at this home, my last one, or the one before that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote in
:

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 21:08:15 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Mike Paulsen wrote in
:

HeyBub wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Maybe you should contact the sender/organization and ask where they got
the name from to send info to. If it's a voter registration list, I'd
look into it. Someone may have picked up his identity for themself.
SSN's used to become public record after X number of years after death.
People who want a clean ID at one time would search death records and
take it from there.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

My sister and her two kids lived with me at one time. I still get her
mail.

I save a mound of it and take it with me when I visit her. Most of
the mail is from catalogs, but since she is a junk gift addict, she
wants me to save it for her.

Well yesterday I said.....forget this. I took a pile of the stuff and
marked "return to sender" and put it in the mail box.

I don't know much about this, but I ddon't think they return bulk mail
to sender.

Try http://catalogchoice.org . That's all it does is, somehow, cancel
catalogs. I don't know how well it works but WAMU radio or maybe it's
WYPR has frequent ads for it. It's free, but iirc they appreciate
contributions. But since it's free, you can wait and see how well it
works.