Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Kind of off topic Junk mail

Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jul 2, 2:39 pm, metspitzer wrote:
My sister and her two kids lived with me at one time. I still get her
mail.

I save a mound of it and take it with me when I visit her. Most of
the mail is from catalogs, but since she is a junk gift addict, she
wants me to save it for her.

Well yesterday I said.....forget this. I took a pile of the stuff and
marked "return to sender" and put it in the mail box.

I also went online and found this:http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

In the next month, I am going to try to stop everything I get,
unwanted, in the mail too.

I already called 1-888-5 OPT OUT

It was actually one of the few times I have been able to call, and be
helped, without having to talk to someone.

Now that I read Mike's post his is definitely the way to go.

What I have done in the past is take the time to open the envelope
find the reply envelope and stuff everything in that envelope and mail
it back to them. The recepient (of the reply) has to pay the post
office for every envelope they get back. Since most of them get
returned first class it will cost them more to pay for getting their
own junk back than it did for them to print and mail it to you.

Urban legend has it that people would tape the envelope to a brick and
mail it and they would have to pay return postage on that....

Some companies now print the recipients name and other info, sometimes
even in barcode format, on the return envelope. Not sure what they are
going to do with the info, but it makes me nervous. Cutting out the info
is a lot of work.
Kevin