Default Way O/T but it concerns junk mail

I know this is O/T but I hope you can bear with me.

Charter Communications (a cable company) has me on their junk mail list
and tells me that they CAN NOT take me off it.

I know that there is someplace that I can write to and be removed from
all
junk mail lists but MY point is that Charter put me on their list so
THEY
should take me off, if I ask them.

They don't have my name on the junk mail, just 'current
resident'.

Have any of you good people taken issue with a company under these
circumstances?

Can I sue them for harassment in small claims court, for instance?

Thanks.

Lewis.

********

SteveB

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this is O/T but I hope you can bear with me.

Charter Communications (a cable company) has me on their junk mail list
and tells me that they CAN NOT take me off it.

I know that there is someplace that I can write to and be removed from
all
junk mail lists but MY point is that Charter put me on their list so
THEY
should take me off, if I ask them.

They don't have my name on the junk mail, just 'current
resident'.

Have any of you good people taken issue with a company under these
circumstances?

Can I sue them for harassment in small claims court, for instance?

Thanks.

Lewis.

********

Would you trade a day of your life on this issue? You're doing it by the
time you are done.

Toss the mail.

Steve

Jon Danniken

I know this is O/T but I hope you can bear with me.

Charter Communications (a cable company) has me on their junk mail list
and tells me that they CAN NOT take me off it.

Oh, yes they can. Tell them you consider it to be continued harassment, and
that if they do not 'cease and desist' immediately you will file charges.
Follow up if they do not do so.

Jon

F. George McDuffee

snip
Can I sue them for harassment in small claims court, for instance?

snip
You can sue anybody for anything -- the question is "will you
win?" Several states and the feds maintain "do not call" phone
lists [but don't enforce them]. AFAIK there are no enforcable
"do not mail lists" but contact your state attorney general's
office.

In a nutshell this describes the problems of American business --
how do you expect to make sales by p***ing people off? We have
fragmented the functions to the extent that for this manager the
sole business objective is sending out flyers( but if is what he
is rated on who can blame him?)

Good luck.

See
http://www.dmaconsumers.org/consumerassistance.html
http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/obje...4/104/284/220/
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...5/ai_107226545
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...acy/P73724.asp

Bruce L. Bergman

On 29 Sep 2005 10:54:15 -0700, "
wrote:

I know this is O/T but I hope you can bear with me.

Charter Communications (a cable company) has me on their junk
mail list and tells me that they CAN NOT take me off it.
I know that there is someplace that I can write to and be
removed from all junk mail lists but MY point is that Charter
put me on their list so THEY should take me off, if I ask them.

There are Do Not Call lists that (allegedly) have the force of law
behind them, but the US Mail isn't nearly as restrictive. The only
lists for Junk Mail I know of are from the Direct Mail Association
trade group.

They don't have my name on the junk mail, just 'current
resident'.

If it comes to 'Current Resident', chances are that they are renting
a 'complete mailing list of all valid addresses in the area' from a
mailing house. Or they assembled one on their own from Post Office
records (or cribbing from the last rental list).

Either way, they can't delete the record for just one customer, or
it ruins their "complete list". How will they know when you move out,
and someone who might want to be a customer moves in?

The only time I can see them taking an address off the list is for a
non-occupied building - maybe. They have a mailbox at the curb for
the "clubhouse" at one of the Condo HOA's I do work at, since the
building has an assigned address (and the House Power meter for the
streetlights and pool filters).

The box is regularly found stuffed full to overflowing with
"Occupant" Junk Mail that nobody will ever read, to the point where
the door won't close and it all gets moldy. (Needless to say, all
official mail for the Association goes to the Property Management
Company or a rented PO Box.

Have any of you good people taken issue with a company under these
circumstances?

No, I just warm up the ol' crosscut paper shredder, let it crunch
their expensive four-color printing into pretty confetti, remind
myself why I never want to do business with those crooks ever again,
and then get on with my life.

Can I sue them for harassment in small claims court, for instance?

You can try - What are your actual damages? (The judge might give
you a judgment for $10, but you'll waste a LOT of time to get there.)

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this is O/T but I hope you can bear with me.

Charter Communications (a cable company) has me on their junk mail list
and tells me that they CAN NOT take me off it.

I know that there is someplace that I can write to and be removed from
all
junk mail lists but MY point is that Charter put me on their list so
THEY
should take me off, if I ask them.

They don't have my name on the junk mail, just 'current
resident'.

Have any of you good people taken issue with a company under these
circumstances?

Can I sue them for harassment in small claims court, for instance?

Thanks.

Lewis.

********

Of late we've been bombarded by junk mail from Capital 1. In this case,
they include a pre-paid return envelope. My understanding is that they must
pay 37 cents for the return of each one they receive, so we've been sending
them back, individually, but all mailed at the same time, once per week,
with only our name and address---by tearing it off the application form
(credit card, which we rarely use) giving them the opportunity to remove us
from their mailing list. If they don't, we'll continue tossing the junk
into the recycling bin (we live in paper country) and watching them spend
the investor's money on mailings that are doing nothing more than alienating
potential customers. Like you, I'm totally annoyed with these folks.
The wasting of natural resources is disgusting.

You'd think that receiving a half dozen returns per week from the same two
individuals would provide a message----and maybe it has. For the past
week, we've received nothing. They've either decided it costs too much to
annoy us, or they're between cycles. Time will tell.

Harold

Tom

" wrote:

Can I sue them for harassment in small claims court, for instance?

Hell, have some fun with them.......... pack a box of all your shop swarf
and send it to their corporate offices.
Enclose a note:
"Remove me from your mailing list, I'll remove you from mine."

Next month send them a gallon of waste oil.

Tom

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:05:12 -0500, Tom wrote:
" wrote:

Can I sue them for harassment in small claims court, for instance?

Hell, have some fun with them.......... pack a box of all your shop swarf
and send it to their corporate offices.
Enclose a note:
"Remove me from your mailing list, I'll remove you from mine."

I like the idea.

Next month send them a gallon of waste oil.

I wouldn't do that, though; the post office doesn't have much of a sense
of humor. Technically, that could be called improper shipping of a hazmat.

aarcuda69062

In article
. com,
" wrote:

I know this is O/T but I hope you can bear with me.

Charter Communications (a cable company) has me on their junk mail list
and tells me that they CAN NOT take me off it.

I know that there is someplace that I can write to and be removed from
all
junk mail lists but MY point is that Charter put me on their list so
THEY
should take me off, if I ask them.

They don't have my name on the junk mail, just 'current
resident'.

Have any of you good people taken issue with a company under these
circumstances?

Can I sue them for harassment in small claims court, for instance?

Thanks.

Lewis.

********

Assuming you're talking about snail mail here...

There is a form you can fill out at your local post office that
blocks any mail _you_ deem obscene.

There is no definition as to what one might consider obscene so
any company you list will be blocked. IOWs, this doesn't just
apply to stuff with nekkid bodies.

Naturally, if you do business with them (like purchase cable
service from them) the monthly bills will be blocked also.
Tom Gardner

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this is O/T but I hope you can bear with me.

Charter Communications (a cable company) has me on their junk mail list
and tells me that they CAN NOT take me off it.

Find their fax number and send them a loop fax for a few hours.

Martin H. Eastburn

Maybe an email or letter with content - to Cisco - ask for their search engine kill
the email from Charter a major network spammer... :-)

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

I know this is O/T but I hope you can bear with me.

Charter Communications (a cable company) has me on their junk mail list
and tells me that they CAN NOT take me off it.

I know that there is someplace that I can write to and be removed from
all
junk mail lists but MY point is that Charter put me on their list so
THEY
should take me off, if I ask them.

They don't have my name on the junk mail, just 'current
resident'.

Have any of you good people taken issue with a company under these
circumstances?

Can I sue them for harassment in small claims court, for instance?

Thanks.

Lewis.

********

william_b_noble

at least one individual was sued successfully for sending a brick (or some
such thing) back by return mail to one of these places - so I wouldn't add
extra stuff, but you can do two things;

1. always mail back the post paid envelope - it raises their costs
2. put inside a note with your address saying you find their material to be
obscene and demand to be removed from the list - you must use the word
"obscene" - as I recall, there is a federal law requiring that they react if
you claim the material to be obscene (of course I'm not a lawyer and this is
not legal advise)

"Tom" wrote in message
" wrote:

Can I sue them for harassment in small claims court, for instance?

Hell, have some fun with them.......... pack a box of all your shop swarf
and send it to their corporate offices.
Enclose a note:
"Remove me from your mailing list, I'll remove you from mine."

Next month send them a gallon of waste oil.

Tom

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

PrecisionMachinisT

"SteveB" wrote in message

Would you trade a day of your life on this issue? You're doing it by the
time you are done.

Toss the mail.

Into the woodstove it goes--winter fuel.......

--

SVL

Jon Danniken

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
Of late we've been bombarded by junk mail from Capital 1. In this case,
they include a pre-paid return envelope. My understanding is that they

must
pay 37 cents for the return of each one they receive, so we've been

sending
them back, individually, but all mailed at the same time, once per week,
with only our name and address---by tearing it off the application form
(credit card, which we rarely use) giving them the opportunity to remove

us
from their mailing list.

I take those pre-paid envelopes and stuff them full of the other junk mail I
get.

Jon

Christopher Tidy

[...]

A while back I made a big mistake with Capital One. I needed a Visa card
so I could use BidPay, but I only have a MasterCard. One of the more
reputable credit card companies turned me down (I later learnt that they
were more fussy than most) so I opened a Capital One letter which
promised they'd accept me and filled out the form. A week or so later I
received their terms and conditions and decided against getting a
Capital One Visa card. Their terms and conditions were full of little
clauses which allowed them to charge extra fees. So I chucked the
agreement away, and now I get about three times the amount of Capital
One junk mail I used to get!

Chris

Christopher Tidy

Tom Gardner wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I know this is O/T but I hope you can bear with me.

Charter Communications (a cable company) has me on their junk mail list
and tells me that they CAN NOT take me off it.

Find their fax number and send them a loop fax for a few hours.

And make sure the loop is made from black paper :-).

Chris

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
[...]

I recently purchased an antenna and rotator from Radio Shack. The clerk
mentioned that I would save 10% if I applied for their credit card, which
would be granted almost instantly. Considering the saving was roughly $20,
I consented, although I still paid cash for the item. When the terms of
the card were received, along with the card, I couldn't believe my eyes.
Their charges were something like 24% per month for any unpaid balance.
I've paid cash for years, rarely, if ever, using a credit card for anything,
and am used to being paid interest, not paying it. Need I tell you I
cancelled the credit card immediately?

Harold

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:31:22 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Tony" quickly quoth:

Ship them one of your turds in a box.

That's deemed a Terrorist Act by the DHS and USPS nowadays, Tony.
You have just incited a felony. You're goin' up, too!

--
"Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not misery but
the very foundation of refinement." --William Morris
rigger

Larry Jaques tells us:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:31:22 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Tony" quickly quoth:
Ship them one of your turds in a box.

That's deemed a Terrorist Act by the DHS and USPS nowadays, Tony.

You have just incited a felony. You're goin' up, too!

I suppose you could send a "fake" plastic novelty item. Might not have
the same impact though.

dennis
in nca

Jeff Dantzler

I'll put a plug in for these guys:

http://www.stopjunk.com/

It's $10 to download a .PDF with pre-printed letters to the DMA,
credit reporting agencies, list brokers, etc. I think there are
probably 20 letters or so--all of which request that you not
receive mail, and that your name/address not be traded, sold,
rented, etc.

I did it once right after I bought my house in 2001, and once after
refinancing. I get virtually no junk mail. Mostly what I get now
are local real estate agents and mortgage loan people. These I
follow up on and get them to stop. Usually they are happy to comply.

I even got AOL to stop sending those damn coasters by telling some
guy in South Africa that my name was "Current Resident" and that
I did not want to receive their free discs.

These days I will not do business with ANY ONE until I have read
their privacy policy and am assured that my information will remain
private.

There is an unfortunate thread over on rec.guns right now about the
SAF selling your info. Beware and find out before giving out info.

All this has taken some of my valuable time, but to me it is worth
it not to get crap in the mail.

Jeff Dantzler
Carl Ijames

Check out this site:
http://www.vertical-visions.com/_tem...id/index2.html

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Tony

AWW SHUCKS!

"rigger" wrote in message
ps.com...
Larry Jaques tells us:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:31:22 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Tony" quickly quoth:
Ship them one of your turds in a box.

That's deemed a Terrorist Act by the DHS and USPS nowadays, Tony.

You have just incited a felony. You're goin' up, too!

I suppose you could send a "fake" plastic novelty item. Might not have
the same impact though.

dennis
in nca

Thanks to all you good people for the great responses.

I really appreciate it.

Kind regards.

Lewis.