Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Save me from Ikea cr*p

My daughter bought a ceiling light from Ikea,so I went up to fit it.
what absolute rubbish, naff plastic, a patent device to hold the wires,
hardly grips them. No way to fix the light securely to the ceiling. Why
ever did she buy from there, the cheapest pendant ceiling light from
elsewhere would be far better and easier to install, for the first time
in over 40 years of D-I-Y I gave ups. :-((
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/17 12:56, Broadback wrote:
My daughter bought a ceiling light from Ikea,so I went up to fit it.
what absolute rubbish, naff plastic, a patent device to hold the wires,
hardly grips them. No way to fix the light securely to the ceiling. Why
ever did she buy from there, the cheapest pendant ceiling light from
elsewhere would be far better and easier to install, for the first time
in over 40 years of D-I-Y I gave ups. :-((

A squirt of 'No Nails' and some gaffer tape?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 12:56:30 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

My daughter bought a ceiling light from Ikea,so I went up to fit it.
what absolute rubbish, naff plastic, a patent device to hold the wires,
hardly grips them. No way to fix the light securely to the ceiling. Why
ever did she buy from there, the cheapest pendant ceiling light from
elsewhere would be far better and easier to install, for the first time
in over 40 years of D-I-Y I gave ups. :-((

As a friend of mine likes to say, the best thing about Ikea is the
Swedish delicatessen at the entrance.

Curried herring highly recommended :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 April 2017 12:56:33 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
My daughter bought a ceiling light from Ikea,so I went up to fit it.
what absolute rubbish, naff plastic, a patent device to hold the wires,
hardly grips them. No way to fix the light securely to the ceiling. Why
ever did she buy from there, the cheapest pendant ceiling light from
elsewhere would be far better and easier to install, for the first time
in over 40 years of D-I-Y I gave ups. :-((

Show us a pic, it might be sortable. Otherwise it's refund time.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My daughter bought a ceiling light from Ikea,so I went up to fit it.
what absolute rubbish, naff plastic, a patent device to hold the wires,
hardly grips them. No way to fix the light securely to the ceiling. Why
ever did she buy from there, the cheapest pendant ceiling light from
elsewhere would be far better and easier to install, for the first time
in over 40 years of D-I-Y I gave ups. :-((

As a friend of mine likes to say, the best thing about Ikea is the
Swedish delicatessen at the entrance.

Curried herring highly recommended :-)

But not the cutlery! One Ikea - London one I think, but not Croydon, had
the most dreadful cutlery - filthy, sitting in wet trays. I complained
about that and made them bring me a freshly washed set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/17 14:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
Like many stores they tend to stock items made by others, and if the quality
drops often they never notice till enough tell them.
They are not alone in this Ring garden lights got taken over and every
since their lights are absolute crap.
Brian

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those seem to get poor
press on Amazon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My daughter bought a ceiling light from Ikea,so I went up to fit it.
what absolute rubbish, naff plastic, a patent device to hold the wires,
hardly grips them. No way to fix the light securely to the ceiling. Why
ever did she buy from there, the cheapest pendant ceiling light from
elsewhere would be far better and easier to install, for the first time
in over 40 years of D-I-Y I gave ups. :-((

As a friend of mine likes to say, the best thing about Ikea is the
Swedish delicatessen at the entrance.

Curried herring highly recommended :-)

But not the cutlery! One Ikea - London one I think, but not Croydon, had
the most dreadful cutlery - filthy, sitting in wet trays. I complained
about that and made them bring me a freshly washed set.

No, I mean the delicatessen ('Swedish shop'), not the cafe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 09/04/17 12:56, Broadback wrote:
My daughter bought a ceiling light from Ikea,so I went up to fit it.
what absolute rubbish, naff plastic, a patent device to hold the wires,
hardly grips them. No way to fix the light securely to the ceiling. Why
ever did she buy from there, the cheapest pendant ceiling light from
elsewhere would be far better and easier to install, for the first time
in over 40 years of D-I-Y I gave ups. :-((

A squirt of 'No Nails' and some gaffer tape?

--
Adrian C

Ikea are definitely poor for plastic. Two desk lamps failed one; due to a
plastic pivot which supported the arm breaking, (which should never have been
plastic in the first place) ;another due to an adapter falling to bits (possibly owing
to heat maybe a safety issue which should have been reported), plus a stainless
steel kettle rendered useless due to a plastic handle breaking in half.

Their all stainless steel, all chipboard, and textile items seem o.k;
or at least not conspicuously worse than anyone else's.
Certainly not at that price.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 09/04/17 14:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
Like many stores they tend to stock items made by others, and if the quality
drops often they never notice till enough tell them.
They are not alone in this Ring garden lights got taken over and every
since their lights are absolute crap.
Brian

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those seem to get poor
press on Amazon.

Yup. All made in China. Warehouse near Leeds.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 April 2017 17:23:09 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/04/17 14:20, Brian Gaff wrote:

They are not alone in this Ring garden lights got taken over and every
since their lights are absolute crap.

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those seem to get poor
press on Amazon.

I fitted a bunch of Ring lights once. Won't buy those again.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 19:39:33 +0100, michael adams wrote:

[...]

Oh no, not unsafe things! End of the world! What are you a 6 year old girl?

plus a stainless
steel kettle rendered useless due to a plastic handle breaking in half.

Their all stainless steel, all chipboard, and textile items seem o.k;
or at least not conspicuously worse than anyone else's.
Certainly not at that price.

michael adams

--
If you wipe your ass with your bare hand but consider bacon to be unclean, you may be a Muslim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 16:24:11 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 09/04/17 14:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
Like many stores they tend to stock items made by others, and if the quality
drops often they never notice till enough tell them.
They are not alone in this Ring garden lights got taken over and every
since their lights are absolute crap.
Brian

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those seem to get poor
press on Amazon.

I vaguely remember a household electrical device (I think a light) made by Ring.

--
My memory foam pillow has got Alzheimer's! -- Steve Pounder circa 2014
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 20:40:38 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim k wrote:

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 09/04/17 14:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
Like many stores they tend to stock items made by others, and if the quality
drops often they never notice till enough tell them.
They are not alone in this Ring garden lights got taken over and every
since their lights are absolute crap.
Brian

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those seem to get poor
press on Amazon.

Yup. All made in China. Warehouse near Leeds.

But most electrical equipment is made in China, is it not? My new
mobile is made in China. I expect if I bought an iPhone it would be
made in China too. Much as I would like to support UK manufacturing,
I think the days of saying goods made in China are of poor quality are
long gone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://youtu.be/mi2sUcVkm9E?t=32s

--
A Muslim told me he had the Koran on DVD.
He got really upset when I asked him to burn me a copy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 09/04/17 14:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
Like many stores they tend to stock items made by others, and if the quality
drops often they never notice till enough tell them.
They are not alone in this Ring garden lights got taken over and every
since their lights are absolute crap.
Brian

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those seem to get poor
press on Amazon.

Yup. All made in China. Warehouse near Leeds.

But most electrical equipment is made in China, is it not? My new
mobile is made in China. I expect if I bought an iPhone it would be
made in China too. Much as I would like to support UK manufacturing,
I think the days of saying goods made in China are of poor quality are
long gone.

Try buying the cheap Chinese stuff on Ebay. I've got rechargeable batteries here which have 20% of their rated capacity. The chargers work though.

--
I used to not get along with my mother-in-law, but over the last few
months, I've developed quite an attachment for her. It goes over her
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the SociopathicAttention Whore

The Peeler wrote:
On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 22:00:38 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those seem to get poor
press on Amazon.

I vaguely remember a household electrical device (I think a light) made by Ring.

Shut up and **** off from decent people's threads, you disgusting filthy
attention whore!

How come we do not get your brilliant repartee to JWS on .legal.
moderated (I wonder at the significance)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

I'm not saying there is no tat made in China; I'm saying not all that
is made in China is tat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Every single Chinese Li-Ion battery is tat. Even Samsung are only 80% of rated capacity. Only Panasonic don't LIE about what's inside them.

--
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's fun and games that you can't see anymore.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Not the ones that Apple uses.

Even Samsung are only 80% of rated capacity. Only Panasonic don't LIE
about what's inside them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Aren't the good ones made in Japan?

And have you tested the actual capacity of an Apple battery? As below, I've found only Panasonic to tell the truth. Everyone else is a scam artist.

Even Samsung are only 80% of rated capacity. Only Panasonic don't LIE
about what's inside them.

--
America remains the international benchmark for institutionalised stupidity. -- Neil Allen, circa 2014
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

The originals certainly arent.

And have you tested the actual capacity of an Apple battery?

Not possible no capacity is listed on the originals.

As below, I've found only Panasonic to tell the truth. Everyone else is a
scam artist.

Not with the original Apple batteries.

Even Samsung are only 80% of rated capacity. Only Panasonic don't LIE
about what's inside them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 23:26:51 +0100, grjw wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:41:46 +0100, grjw wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 20:55:49 +0100, Scott

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

You bought something without any specs?!
"How fast does this car go that you're selling me?"
"Er.... quite fast sir"
"I'll take it. I'm an apple user, I have no brain."

As below, I've found only Panasonic to tell the truth. Everyone else is a
scam artist.

Not with the original Apple batteries.

You said they have no specs, so you don't know.

--
The remarkable thing about my mother is that for 30 years she served us nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found. -- Calvin Trillin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

The battery came with the device.

"How fast does this car go that you're selling me?"
"Er.... quite fast sir"
"I'll take it. I'm an apple user, I have no brain."

As below, I've found only Panasonic to tell the truth. Everyone else is
scam artist.

Not with the original Apple batteries.

You said they have no specs,

Didn't say that.

so you don't know.

Or that either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/17 02:06, grjw wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 23:26:51 +0100, grjw wrote:

so you don't know.

Or that either.

If you don't killfile the idiot troll James Wilkinson (Pork) Sword, I
will kill file you.

He or she (or it) isn't worth arguing with

Your choice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

On Sunday, 9 April 2017 17:23:09 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/04/17 14:20, Brian Gaff wrote:

They are not alone in this Ring garden lights got taken over and every
since their lights are absolute crap.

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those seem to get poor
press on Amazon.

I fitted a bunch of Ring lights once. Won't buy those again.

Attracted a plague of fairies with theirs?

I'll get my coat...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 05:59:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 11/04/17 02:06, grjw wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 23:26:51 +0100, grjw wrote:

so you don't know.

Or that either.

If you don't killfile the idiot troll James Wilkinson (Pork) Sword, I
will kill file you.

He or she (or it) isn't worth arguing with

Your choice.

You're asking Rod Speed to killfile someone! Hahahah!!! Oh the irony.

--
Why does the law society prohibit sex between lawyers and their clients?
To prevent clients from being billed twice for essentially the same service.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

It should have a capacity on it. If it doesn't, Apple are scum.

"How fast does this car go that you're selling me?"
"Er.... quite fast sir"
"I'll take it. I'm an apple user, I have no brain."

As below, I've found only Panasonic to tell the truth. Everyone else is
scam artist.

Not with the original Apple batteries.

You said they have no specs,

Didn't say that.

You said no capacity listed. That's a missing spec.

--
DNA tests confirm that Richard III is the last Englishman to be found in Leicester!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/17 02:06, grjw wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 23:26:51 +0100, grjw wrote:

so you don't know.

Or that either.

If you don't killfile the idiot troll James Wilkinson (Pork) Sword, I
will kill file you.

He or she (or it) isn't worth arguing with

Your choice.

Why don't YOU killfile me if you don't want to see me? Don't tell me your killfile actually lets through replies by other people....

--
I have the world's oldest typewriter - it prints in pencil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 11/04/17 02:06, grjw wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 23:26:51 +0100, grjw wrote:

so you don't know.

Or that either.

If you don't killfile the idiot troll James Wilkinson (Pork) Sword, I
will kill file you.

He or she (or it) isn't worth arguing with

Your choice.

No one gives a flying red **** what ****wits like you do or do not read.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/17 10:30, grjw wrote:

news

news On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 23:26:51 +0100, grjw wrote:

so you don't know.

Or that either.

If you don't killfile the idiot troll James Wilkinson (Pork) Sword, I
will kill file you.

He or she (or it) isn't worth arguing with

Your choice.

No one gives a flying red **** what ****wits like you do or do not read.

Then why are you posting here at all?

Thank you for making the decisions a no-brainer
*plonk*

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 10:30:37 UTC+1, grjw wrote:
news
On 11/04/17 02:06, grjw wrote:

If you don't killfile the idiot troll James Wilkinson (Pork) Sword, I
will kill file you.

He or she (or it) isn't worth arguing with

Your choice.

No one gives a flying red **** what ****wits like you do or do not read.

that's why you go to weird extremes to get people to read your junk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

No point when its built in to what you buy.

If it doesn't, Apple are scum.

You are free to never touch anything they sell.

"How fast does this car go that you're selling me?"
"Er.... quite fast sir"
"I'll take it. I'm an apple user, I have no brain."

As below, I've found only Panasonic to tell the truth. Everyone else
is
scam artist.

Not with the original Apple batteries.

You said they have no specs,

Didn't say that.

You said no capacity listed. That's a missing spec.

Wrong when its built in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Handy to know how long it lasts and takes to charge.

If it doesn't, Apple are scum.

You are free to never touch anything they sell.

I made that decision when they launched the Mac Classic. Far too big to use for a doorstop, people fall over them. We did once have a Mac hurling competition chucking them into the skip from as great a distance as possible.

--
Take some good advice: Never try to baptize your cat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 10:56:51 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 11/04/17 10:30, grjw wrote:

news
On 11/04/17 02:06, grjw wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 23:26:51 +0100, grjw wrote:

so you don't know.

Or that either.

If you don't killfile the idiot troll James Wilkinson (Pork) Sword, I
will kill file you.

He or she (or it) isn't worth arguing with

Your choice.

No one gives a flying red **** what ****wits like you do or do not read.

Then why are you posting here at all?

Thank you for making the decisions a no-brainer
*plonk*

Oh dear Rod, you'll have to make another alias. He'll no doubt fall for it again and again. He's not very bright really, he can actually see your replies to my posts, after he's killfiled me.

--
1 in 10,000 people have their internal organs the other way round (left to right)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/17 02:06, grjw wrote:

If you don't killfile the idiot troll James Wilkinson (Pork) Sword, I
will kill file you.

He or she (or it) isn't worth arguing with

Your choice.

No one gives a flying red **** what ****wits like you do or do not read.

that's why you go to weird extremes to get people to read your junk

At least he managed a capital letter and a fullstop.

--
What's the fastest thing in Wales?
A virgin sheep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 10:30:24 +0100, grjw wrote:

news

What's a RED ****?

--
What's the fastest thing in Wales?
A virgin sheep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Handy but not that important, but if you want to know read the specs.
iphone7
Up to 2 hours longer battery life than iPhone 6s
Talk time (wireless):
Up to 14 hours on 3G
Standby:
Up to 10 days

Internet use:
Up to 12 hours on 3G
Up to 12 hours on 4G LTE
Up to 14 hours on Wi€‘Fi

Wireless video playback:
Up to 13 hours
Wireless audio playback:
Up to 40 hours

Of course all these depend on what you're doing and I doubt most aren't just doing one thing all day long.
Play a few high end tyope games and they really eat into the battery life.

As for charging it might be useful to know how long it takes to charge from 0-60% or any other figure but to me it's rather like having a 0-60 time for a car which is only of limited use.

If it doesn't, Apple are scum.

You are free to never touch anything they sell.

I made that decision when they launched the Mac Classic. Far too big to use for a doorstop, people fall over them.

Yoiu fall over just about anything. Maybe a Mac classic would be too big for your feet to miss it, but as you say so are door frames.

We did once have a Mac hurling competition chucking them into the skip from as great a distance as possible.

At least they had a final use unlike the PCS that I thrown out.
You should be carful throwing out macs they have a far better resale value that the majority of same age PCs do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

It's not limited, I use the 0-60 time every time I pull out of a junction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

So did you base your choice of car on the 0-60 time then ?

Anyway, if I want to change the battery, it's handy to see the Ah and voltage on the back of it so I can get the right one to replace it.

In most phones and even laptops now you can't change the battery.

I made that decision when they launched the Mac Classic. Far too big to use for a doorstop, people fall over them.

Yoiu fall over just about anything. Maybe a Mac classic would be too big for your feet to miss it, but as you say so are door frames.

I just don't like confined spaces.

Mac classics are quite confined and a small footprint, far smaller than PCs of the time.

We did once have a Mac hurling competition chucking them into the skip from as great a distance as possible.

At least they had a final use unlike the PCS that I thrown out.

I shipped those to Africa. Still working perfectly after 10 years.

Yeah sure being used a botnets most likely. Most of those shipped went to landfill anyway, they never got put into use.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-phones.html

companies chareg us from between £300 - £1500 a tonne from what I heard to pack and ship them, that's how they made theri money NOT through genune recycling.

I'd like to know how you knew where they went to and whether or not they got used.

You should be carful throwing out macs they have a far better resale value that the majority of same age PCs do.

I put the coloured translucent Imacs on ebay actually. £40 each in about 2009. And you couldn't hurl those ones, the handles were too flimsy.

Yes those handles were really meant to carry the imac without supporing it from underneath, there was a small trade in those imacs as cat baskets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEoDuy66XM

ikea bob UK diy 1 February 5th 10 04:10 PM
Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver! spencer[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 10:25 PM
IKEA UK Search UK diy 3 February 14th 08 12:52 PM
Johnny America is Challenging "The Corporate Bush Whores" to a Presidential Debate - Save Our Souls "The most important recording YOU'LL ever hear." Save Our Souls - Bushite troops asked if they would MURDER Americans for the Phil L UK diy 0 February 13th 08 12:46 AM
F****** Ikea [email protected] UK diy 12 February 2nd 08 09:46 AM