Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.cleaning

Default Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver!

Hi. I am crashing at a friend's place. I said I'd keep everything nice and
clean. I don't want to let him down

I am using his 'Verksam' black leather chair. The Ikea site says you need to
use a specific type of leather cleaner - called:

' ABSORB leathercare set. '

The problem is Ikea is a bit far away for me. So, erm, what else can I use in
its place? I would love to be able to just order something online

Regards
Spencer

From London, England.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.cleaning

Ah. The old 'its for an IKEA chair' ploy huh :-)

I am using his 'Verksam' black leather chair. The Ikea site says you
need to use a specific type of leather cleaner - called:

' ABSORB leathercare set. '

I'd guess they are just promoting their own brand, prolly nothing special
about it. Have a look at
http://www.theleathercare.co.uk/home...FUsa3godsiqqDA

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.cleaning

"spencer" wrote in message
la.org...
Hi. I am crashing at a friend's place. I said I'd keep everything nice and
clean. I don't want to let him down

I am using his 'Verksam' black leather chair. The Ikea site says you need to
use a specific type of leather cleaner - called:

' ABSORB leathercare set. '

The problem is Ikea is a bit far away for me. So, erm, what else can I use
in
its place? I would love to be able to just order something online

Regards
Spencer

From London, England.

Zymol Car Leather Cleaner 225ml
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165651#dtab

It cost alot, maybe it's good?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.cleaning

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:01:58 -0000, "Tiscali News"
wrote:

"spencer" wrote in message
lla.org...
Hi. I am crashing at a friend's place. I said I'd keep everything nice and
clean. I don't want to let him down

I am using his 'Verksam' black leather chair. The Ikea site says you need to
use a specific type of leather cleaner - called:

' ABSORB leathercare set. '

The problem is Ikea is a bit far away for me. So, erm, what else can I use
in
its place? I would love to be able to just order something online

Regards
Spencer

From London, England.

Zymol Car Leather Cleaner 225ml
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165651#dtab

It cost alot, maybe it's good?

And Lakeland do leather products incl cleaner .
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/leather-ca...F/product/4505
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.cleaning

On 23 Nov, 14:30, spencer wrote:

So, erm, what else can I use in its place?

Any brand you like, so long as the main ingredient is lanolin (from
sheeps' wool). Big Tesco nearby? Try their horse tack section (yes,
really!) the leather treatment they sell in there is cheap and decent.
Otherwise try a saddlery shop (somewhere posh where they ride), which
will have a vast range of leathercare products.

If it's really filthy, use "saddle soap" to clean it (and I mean
clean, not just polish). This is a soap, solid bar or liquid, that
leaves appropriate lubricating oils in the leather afterwards.

As always with leather, minimise the amount of water you use, as it
tends to darken the leather. So black is (by far!) the easiest colour
to work with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.cleaning

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 18:25:15 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote
(in article
):

On 23 Nov, 14:30, spencer wrote:

So, erm, what else can I use in its place?

Any brand you like, so long as the main ingredient is lanolin (from
sheeps' wool). Big Tesco nearby? Try their horse tack section (yes,
really!) the leather treatment they sell in there is cheap and decent.
Otherwise try a saddlery shop (somewhere posh where they ride), which
will have a vast range of leathercare products.

If it's really filthy, use "saddle soap" to clean it (and I mean
clean, not just polish). This is a soap, solid bar or liquid, that
leaves appropriate lubricating oils in the leather afterwards.

As always with leather, minimise the amount of water you use, as it
tends to darken the leather. So black is (by far!) the easiest colour
to work with.

Oh, it doesn't even look dirty. I have only been wiping it with a damp cloth.
It's still pretty new though.

I'll lookout for lanolin stuff. Thanks for the tip