Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Save me from Ikea cr*p

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news

news On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:41:46 +0100, grjw wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 20:55:49 +0100, Scott

wrote:

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 22:03:52 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 22:02:06 +0100, Scott
wrote:

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 20:40:38 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim k wrote:

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 09/04/17 14:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
Like many stores they tend to stock items made by others,
and
if
the
quality
drops often they never notice till enough tell them.
They are not alone in this Ring garden lights got taken
over
and
every
since their lights are absolute crap.
Brian

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those seem
get
poor
press on Amazon.

Yup. All made in China. Warehouse near Leeds.

But most electrical equipment is made in China, is it not? My
new
mobile is made in China. I expect if I bought an iPhone it
would
be
made in China too. Much as I would like to support UK
manufacturing,
I think the days of saying goods made in China are of poor
quality
are
long gone.

Try buying the cheap Chinese stuff on Ebay. I've got
rechargeable
batteries here which have 20% of their rated capacity. The
chargers
work though.

I'm not saying there is no tat made in China; I'm saying not all
that
is made in China is tat.

Every single Chinese Li-Ion battery is tat.

Not the ones that Apple uses.

Aren't the good ones made in Japan?

The originals certainly arent.

And have you tested the actual capacity of an Apple battery?

Not possible no capacity is listed on the originals.

You bought something without any specs?!

The battery came with the device.

It should have a capacity on it.

No point when its built in to what you buy.

Handy to know how long it lasts and takes to charge.

Sure, but there are a lot more other variables involved
in that than just the capacity of the battery.

If it doesn't, Apple are scum.

You are free to never touch anything they sell.

I made that decision when they launched the Mac Classic.

That doesn't have a battery whose capacity matters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 10:30:24 +0100, grjw wrote:

news
On 11/04/17 02:06, grjw wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 23:26:51 +0100, grjw wrote:

so you don't know.

Or that either.

If you don't killfile the idiot troll James Wilkinson (Pork) Sword, I
will kill file you.

He or she (or it) isn't worth arguing with

Your choice.

No one gives a flying red **** what ****wits like you do or do not read.

What's a RED ****?

No idea, its not my saying.

No idea why it's a flying **** either.

Or why wits are involved with ****s either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news

wrote:

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 09/04/17 14:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
Like many stores they tend to stock items made by others,
and
if
the
quality
drops often they never notice till enough tell them.
They are not alone in this Ring garden lights got taken
over
and
every
since their lights are absolute crap.
Brian

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those
seem to
[...]

Handy but not that important, but if you want to know read the specs.
iphone7
Up to 2 hours longer battery life than iPhone 6s
Talk time (wireless):
Up to 14 hours on 3G
Standby:
Up to 10 days

Internet use:
Up to 12 hours on 3G
Up to 12 hours on 4G LTE
Up to 14 hours on Wi€‘Fi

Wireless video playback:
Up to 13 hours
Wireless audio playback:
Up to 40 hours

Of course all these depend on what you're doing and I doubt most aren't
just doing one thing all day long.
Play a few high end tyope games and they really eat into the battery
life.

As for charging it might be useful to know how long it takes to charge
from 0-60% or any other figure but to me it's rather like having a 0-60
time for a car which is only of limited use.

It's not limited, I use the 0-60 time every time I pull out of a junction.

Anyway, if I want to change the battery, it's handy to see the Ah and
voltage on the back of it so I can get the right one to replace it.

Apple prefers you to pay them to replace the battery with
another the same as the original if it needs replacement.

If it doesn't, Apple are scum.

You are free to never touch anything they sell.

I made that decision when they launched the Mac Classic. Far too big to
use for a doorstop, people fall over them.

Yoiu fall over just about anything. Maybe a Mac classic would be too big
for your feet to miss it, but as you say so are door frames.

I just don't like confined spaces.

We did once have a Mac hurling competition chucking them into the skip
from as great a distance as possible.

At least they had a final use unlike the PCS that I thrown out.

I shipped those to Africa. Still working perfectly after 10 years.

You should be carful throwing out macs they have a far better resale
value that the majority of same age PCs do.

I put the coloured translucent Imacs on ebay actually. £40 each in about
2009. And you couldn't hurl those ones, the handles were too flimsy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

No customers are that stupid surely?

--
"A life without danger is a life not worth living" -- Moist von Lipwig
Posted to uk.d-i-y

****wit is from Australia apparently:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_v...****wit.ht ml

Do you guys actually say "rack off" instead of "**** off", or is that just on your TV programs? Rack off to me means to remove the sediment from a brew.

--
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Most say **** off.

or is that just on your TV programs?

Nope, some do say that.

Rack off to me means to remove the sediment from a brew.

Most phrases in most languages do have more than one meaning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

One. The current from the charger.

If it doesn't, Apple are scum.

You are free to never touch anything they sell.

I made that decision when they launched the Mac Classic.

That doesn't have a battery whose capacity matters.

We're talking about the scumness of the company. They make shiny versions of the same thing everyone else makes, double the price, then sell them to morons.

--
Saying that she is promiscuous is an understatement.
She'll go zero to sixty-nine in under fifteen seconds."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Not with how long it lasts and how long it takes to
charge depends on what you are doing with it when
its being charged.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Some of us like shiney things , sometimes they are better too, but who's stupid enough to buy a phone whos battery explodes ?

double the price, then sell them to morons.

They sell them to anyone who wants to buy them that's the key.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 09/04/17 14:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
Like many stores they tend to stock items made by others, and
if
the
quality
drops often they never notice till enough tell them..
They are not alone in this Ring garden lights got taken over
and
every
since their lights are absolute crap.
Brian

Is that the same Ring as automotive accessories? Those seem to
[...]

So did you base your choice of car on the 0-60 time then ?

That was one of the considerations.

Anyway, if I want to change the battery, it's handy to see the Ah and voltage on the back of it so I can get the right one to replace it.

In most phones and even laptops now you can't change the battery.

Bull****. You mean they don't want you to change it. Anything can be opened.

I made that decision when they launched the Mac Classic. Far too big to use for a doorstop, people fall over them.

Yoiu fall over just about anything. Maybe a Mac classic would be too big for your feet to miss it, but as you say so are door frames.

I just don't like confined spaces.

Mac classics are quite confined and a small footprint, far smaller than PCs of the time.

Yip, another reason they were useless. Tiny screen.

We did once have a Mac hurling competition chucking them into the skip from as great a distance as possible.

At least they had a final use unlike the PCS that I thrown out.

I shipped those to Africa. Still working perfectly after 10 years.

Yeah sure being used a botnets most likely.

That's not my problem.

Most of those shipped went to landfill anyway, they never got put into use.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-phones.html

That's BROKEN ones.

companies chareg us from between £300 - £1500 a tonne from what I heard to pack and ship them, that's how they made theri money NOT through genune recycling.

We were charged £20 an item. So I gave away or sold stuff, and if that failed, I just threw it in the landfill skip.

I'd like to know how you knew where they went to and whether or not they got used.

A student was off to Africa to do research, so had local contacts. They were taking a van full of equipment anyway, and had space for a load of computers.

You should be carful throwing out macs they have a far better resale value that the majority of same age PCs do.

I put the coloured translucent Imacs on ebay actually. £40 each in about 2009. And you couldn't hurl those ones, the handles were too flimsy.

Yes those handles were really meant to carry the imac without supporing it from underneath, there was a small trade in those imacs as cat baskets.

Stupid design. I often carried two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEoDuy66XM

I wonder why that video got thumbs downs?

--
I would defend the liberty of consenting adult creationists to practice whatever intellectual perversions they like in the privacy of their own homes; but it is also necessary to protect the young and innocent. -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

That could happen to any phone, or any device using a Li-Ion battery. I believe some Dell laptops did the same.

double the price, then sell them to morons.

They sell them to anyone who wants to buy them that's the key.

Morons.

--
BREAKFAST.SYS halted... Cereal port not responding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Yes but you can make a rough estimate. Without the capacity of the battery you'd have no idea.

--
A waiter brings the customer the steak he ordered with his thumb over the meat.
"Are you crazy?" yelled the customer, "with your hand on my steak?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

wrote:

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

You time it. Vastly better than trying to estimate
it using a claimed battery capacity which you can't
even see when it's a non removable battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Can't do that before purchase.

--
Abdicate (v.), to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

wrote:

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

You can see what reviewers have found for free.

Leaves having a capacity stamped on it where you can't read it for dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

When I have a product in my hand, I want to know what battery to replace it with.

Leaves having a capacity stamped on it where you can't read it for dead.

Why wouldn't I be able to read it?

--
His wife had been killed in an accident and the police were questioning Finnegan.
"Did she say anything before she died?" asked the sergeant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

wrote:

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

You don't with a device with a built in battery.

I want to know what battery to replace it with.

Another one from the same manufacturer when its built
in. What the original says is the capacity is irrelevant.

Leaves having a capacity stamped on it where you can't read it for dead.

Why wouldn't I be able to read it?

Because you have to disassemble the device to get it out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Open it and take the battery out, then look at the battery.

I want to know what battery to replace it with.

Another one from the same manufacturer when its built
in. What the original says is the capacity is irrelevant.

Only fools buy original manufacturer's parts.

Leaves having a capacity stamped on it where you can't read it for dead.

Why wouldn't I be able to read it?

Because you have to disassemble the device to get it out.

Don't you have screwdrivers in Australia?

--
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

Useless approach when replacing the battery with chinese ****.

I want to know what battery to replace it with.

Another one from the same manufacturer when its built
in. What the original says is the capacity is irrelevant.

Only fools buy original manufacturer's parts.

If you don't want to, you are free to buy the new battery
from operations like ifixit and don't need to know the
battery capacity, they have already worked that out for you.

Leaves having a capacity stamped on it where you can't read it for
dead.

Why wouldn't I be able to read it?

Because you have to disassemble the device to get it out.

Don't you have screwdrivers in Australia?

You need more than just a screwdriver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

So limited then if thats the only time you use it.

So did you base your choice of car on the 0-60 time then ?

That was one of the considerations.

So there were others then ... number of seats, top speed, number of doors, colour ?

Anyway, if I want to change the battery, it's handy to see the Ah and voltage on the back of it so I can get the right one to replace it.

In most phones and even laptops now you can't change the battery.

Bull****. You mean they don't want you to change it. Anything can be opened.

and anything can be damaged.
With yuor skills of size judgement and distance I doubt you;d get the right one anyway.

I made that decision when they launched the Mac Classic. Far too big to use for a doorstop, people fall over them.

You fall over just about anything. Maybe a Mac classic would be too big for your feet to miss it, but as you say so are door frames.

I just don't like confined spaces.

Mac classics are quite confined and a small footprint, far smaller than PCs of the time.

Yip, another reason they were useless. Tiny screen.

a 9 inch screen tiny, most phones are less than half that.

Most of those shipped went to landfill anyway, they never got put into use.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-phones.html

That's BROKEN ones.

They weren't broken before they were shipped that's the point.

companies chareg us from between £300 - £1500 a tonne from what I heard to pack and ship them, that's how they made theri money NOT through genune recycling.

We were charged £20 an item. So I gave away or sold stuff, and if that failed, I just threw it in the landfill skip.

So what happened to the £20 per item PCs how do you know they are still working ?
The 50 or so PCs we had I had to take the HDs out of so all the PC had no HD and hence no OS.

You should be carful throwing out macs they have a far better resale value that the majority of same age PCs do.

I put the coloured translucent Imacs on ebay actually. £40 each in about 2009. And you couldn't hurl those ones, the handles were too flimsy.

Yes those handles were really meant to carry the imac without supporing it from underneath, there was a small trade in those imacs as cat baskets.

Stupid design. I often carried two.

why do that ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEoDuy66XM

I wonder why that video got thumbs downs?

pretty shaky video and for doing stuff like that it wouldn't have been too much effort to have a steady camera do the filming.

--
I would defend the liberty of consenting adult creationists to practice whatever intellectual perversions they like in the privacy of their own homes; but it is also necessary to protect the young and innocent. -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

It could but it doesn't as some are better desingen or have larger safety margins.

I believe some Dell laptops did the same.

Only Dell, can't any laptop battery explode ?

double the price, then sell them to morons.

They sell them to anyone who wants to buy them that's the key.

Morons.

Why would a person chose a product with an exploding battery surely they are the morons those buying dell as yuo say.
Do you buy stuff with exploding batteries so you can change them.
I'd rather buy stuff with non-explodign battereis that I don't need to change.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who mentioned chinese ****?

I want to know what battery to replace it with.

Another one from the same manufacturer when its built
in. What the original says is the capacity is irrelevant.

Only fools buy original manufacturer's parts.

If you don't want to, you are free to buy the new battery
from operations like ifixit and don't need to know the
battery capacity, they have already worked that out for you.

I prefer to know what I'm putting where.

Leaves having a capacity stamped on it where you can't read it for
dead.

Why wouldn't I be able to read it?

Because you have to disassemble the device to get it out.

Don't you have screwdrivers in Australia?

You need more than just a screwdriver.

And other basic implements.

--
Why don't Siamese cats come in pairs?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

I didn't say only. Every time I accelerate and nobody is in front of me..

So did you base your choice of car on the 0-60 time then ?

That was one of the considerations.

So there were others then ... number of seats, top speed, number of doors, colour ?

All apart from the colour, yes.

Anyway, if I want to change the battery, it's handy to see the Ah and voltage on the back of it so I can get the right one to replace it.

In most phones and even laptops now you can't change the battery.

Bull****. You mean they don't want you to change it. Anything can be opened.

and anything can be damaged.
With yuor skills of size judgement and distance I doubt you;d get the right one anyway.

I've never failed to open a device without breaking it.

I made that decision when they launched the Mac Classic. Far too big to use for a doorstop, people fall over them.

You fall over just about anything. Maybe a Mac classic would be too big for your feet to miss it, but as you say so are door frames.

I just don't like confined spaces.

Mac classics are quite confined and a small footprint, far smaller than PCs of the time.

Yip, another reason they were useless. Tiny screen.

a 9 inch screen tiny, most phones are less than half that.

Which is why I use a phone to call and text, not use the internet or write a Word document.

Most of those shipped went to landfill anyway, they never got put into use.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-phones.html

That's BROKEN ones.

They weren't broken before they were shipped that's the point.

They were in the article. They're talking about recycling unwanted ****ed up stuff that would have gone in a landfill here before they invented recycling.

Anyway, I've seen plenty pictures of Indians dismantling circuit boards to get the capacitors, gold, etc.

companies chareg us from between £300 - £1500 a tonne from what I heard to pack and ship them, that's how they made theri money NOT through genune recycling.

We were charged £20 an item. So I gave away or sold stuff, and if that failed, I just threw it in the landfill skip.

So what happened to the £20 per item PCs how do you know they are still working ?

What? I don't care what they're doing, they're given to other people.

The 50 or so PCs we had I had to take the HDs out of so all the PC had no HD and hence no OS.

I simply removed any data, or reformatted and reinstalled the OS.

You should be carful throwing out macs they have a far better resale value that the majority of same age PCs do.

I put the coloured translucent Imacs on ebay actually. £40 each in about 2009. And you couldn't hurl those ones, the handles were too flimsy.

Yes those handles were really meant to carry the imac without supporing it from underneath, there was a small trade in those imacs as cat baskets.

Stupid design. I often carried two.

why do that ?

20 of them to take from one end of the corridor to the other. 10 trips or 20? Easy decision. Although I'd often wait till breaktime and grab a load of kids to carry them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEoDuy66XM

I wonder why that video got thumbs downs?

pretty shaky video and for doing stuff like that it wouldn't have been too much effort to have a steady camera do the filming.

Only slightly shaky. Youtube can remove that anyway.

--
If you believe in telepathy, raise my hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Parts are made by many different companies, so that's not possible. You design a laptop, buy in some batteries, and the battery company makes a ****up somewhere. Half the charging electronics care contained within the battery.

I believe some Dell laptops did the same.

Only Dell, can't any laptop battery explode ?

I only heard of Dells doing it. Either they overloaded them, charged them too quick, or the batteries were a faulty batch. Liquid lithium spraying up through the keyboard into your hands I think. Most unpleasant.

double the price, then sell them to morons.

They sell them to anyone who wants to buy them that's the key.

Morons.

Why would a person chose a product with an exploding battery surely they are the morons those buying dell as yuo say.
Do you buy stuff with exploding batteries so you can change them.
I'd rather buy stuff with non-explodign battereis that I don't need to change.

You don't know they're going to be exploding.

--
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 20:34:48 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 13:06:56 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

It's not limited, I use the 0-60 time every time I pull out of a junction.

So limited then if thats the only time you use it.

I didn't say only. Every time I accelerate and nobody is in front of me. So

what is your 0-60 time ?

So did you base your choice of car on the 0-60 time then ?

That was one of the considerations.

So there were others then ... number of seats, top speed, number of doors, colour ?

All apart from the colour, yes.

Well at least that makes some sense.

Anyway, if I want to change the battery, it's handy to see the Ah and voltage on the back of it so I can get the right one to replace it.

In most phones and even laptops now you can't change the battery.

Bull****. You mean they don't want you to change it. Anything can be opened.

and anything can be damaged.
With yuor skills of size judgement and distance I doubt you;d get the right one anyway.

I've never failed to open a device without breaking it.

Doesn't suprise me.

I made that decision when they launched the Mac Classic. Far too big to use for a doorstop, people fall over them.

You fall over just about anything. Maybe a Mac classic would be too big for your feet to miss it, but as you say so are door frames.

I just don't like confined spaces.

Mac classics are quite confined and a small footprint, far smaller than PCs of the time.

Yip, another reason they were useless. Tiny screen.

a 9 inch screen tiny, most phones are less than half that.

Which is why I use a phone to call and text, not use the internet or write a Word document.

Which the mac classic was fine for a friend did her banking degree on a classic.
She preferred it to the IBM and clones of the time.

Most of those shipped went to landfill anyway, they never got put into use.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-phones.html

That's BROKEN ones.

They weren't broken before they were shipped that's the point.

They were in the article. They're talking about recycling unwanted ****ed up stuff that would have gone in a landfill here before they invented recycling.

No this is after inventing recycling in fact some componies that charged money for their old stuff to be collected. It's still happening today and it'll happen tomorrow and next week. We sometimes call this fly tipping in that someone that has been paid to take stuff away and dispose of it properly is lying.
It happens les sin the UK with computers because there's a chance the serial number if found could be traced back.

Anyway, I've seen plenty pictures of Indians dismantling circuit boards to get the capacitors, gold, etc.

are they dismantling these working PCs you sent back?
Why don't they use them you've said they have for 10 years now.
Thing is you don't have a clue where your PCs have gone.

So what happened to the £20 per item PCs how do you know they are still working ?

What? I don't care what they're doing, they're given to other people.

SO you can't know they were used at all.
Why give £20 to someone to throw it in the recycling bin can't you do that yourself ?

The 50 or so PCs we had I had to take the HDs out of so all the PC had no HD and hence no OS.

I simply removed any data, or reformatted and reinstalled the OS.

For wqhatever reason we were more sensiative about what was on the HDs so they were taken out and NOT given away, I think some were reused in house, others were destroyed. we also didn;t want licensed software being left on the machine s and didn't want to pay the costs of installing ODS's on 50 PC that were to be scrapped.

You should be carful throwing out macs they have a far better resale value that the majority of same age PCs do.

I put the coloured translucent Imacs on ebay actually. £40 each in about 2009. And you couldn't hurl those ones, the handles were too flimsy.

Yes those handles were really meant to carry the imac without supporing it from underneath, there was a small trade in those imacs as cat baskets.

Stupid design. I often carried two.

why do that ?

20 of them to take from one end of the corridor to the other.

Oh I thought this was because smarphone screens are too small so you were using two 15" iMacs.

10 trips or 20? Easy decision. Although I'd often wait till breaktime and grab a load of kids to carry them.

That sounds a much better idea, but then again I use trollies, the largest I have could hold about 8 iMacs. I typically put -12 PCs on our largest trolly
sod walking back and forth carrying 50 PCs with monitors & kb's & mice power leads etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEoDuy66XM

I wonder why that video got thumbs downs?

pretty shaky video and for doing stuff like that it wouldn't have been too much effort to have a steady camera do the filming.

Only slightly shaky. Youtube can remove that anyway.

Then he should select that option it can be quite annoying watchb a video like that when it could so easily be fixed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

So why expect to be able to replace them ?
Why replay on company one to make and sell a batter for company 2 ?

You design a laptop, buy in some batteries,

If done properly you tell the bcompony what size and specs yuo want the battery to be.
You don;t build anyhting themn go out and find a battery which will magically fit it either electrically or mechanically.
Well unless you're a cheap knock out company copying others products.

and the battery company makes a ****up somewhere.

You don;t support such companies.

Half the charging electronics care contained within the battery.

So ....

I believe some Dell laptops did the same.

Only Dell, can't any laptop battery explode ?

I only heard of Dells doing it.

samsugn phone batteries .

Either they overloaded them, charged them too quick, or the batteries were a faulty batch. Liquid lithium spraying up through the keyboard into your hands I think. Most unpleasant.

Nasty but unlikely , more likely to happen when the laptop and battery people don;t get togther and it's done as an after thought. Far more likely to happen with replaceable batteries.

double the price, then sell them to morons.

They sell them to anyone who wants to buy them that's the key.

Morons.

Why would a person chose a product with an exploding battery surely they are the morons those buying dell as yuo say.
Do you buy stuff with exploding batteries so you can change them.
I'd rather buy stuff with non-explodign battereis that I don't need to change.

You don't know they're going to be exploding.

So why were the samsung phones withdrawn and apps written to only charge the battery to 60% ?
Does the phone in your battery only charge to 60% or do you stop charging just in case it explodes.

--
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

So I don't have to pay the manufacturer a fortune to open the cover.

You design a laptop, buy in some batteries,

If done properly you tell the bcompony what size and specs yuo want the battery to be.
You don;t build anyhting themn go out and find a battery which will magically fit it either electrically or mechanically.
Well unless you're a cheap knock out company copying others products.

That won't stop the battery manufacturer making dud ones.

and the battery company makes a ****up somewhere.

You don;t support such companies.

You don't know which company might make a dodgy batch in the future.

Half the charging electronics care contained within the battery.

So ....

So you can't blame the laptop maker.

I believe some Dell laptops did the same.

Only Dell, can't any laptop battery explode ?

I only heard of Dells doing it.

samsugn phone batteries .

They're not laptops.

Either they overloaded them, charged them too quick, or the batteries were a faulty batch. Liquid lithium spraying up through the keyboard into your hands I think. Most unpleasant.

Nasty but unlikely , more likely to happen when the laptop and battery people don;t get togther and it's done as an after thought. Far more likely to happen with replaceable batteries.

You don't need to get together. A battery simply won't explode unless it's faulty or the charger is faulty.

double the price, then sell them to morons.

They sell them to anyone who wants to buy them that's the key.

Morons.

Why would a person chose a product with an exploding battery surely they are the morons those buying dell as yuo say.
Do you buy stuff with exploding batteries so you can change them.
I'd rather buy stuff with non-explodign battereis that I don't need to change.

You don't know they're going to be exploding.

So why were the samsung phones withdrawn and apps written to only charge the battery to 60% ?

What has that to do with people choosing to buy Samsung phones? Before any exploded, nobody knew. After some exploded, the ones sold after that would be safe.

Does the phone in your battery only charge to 60% or do you stop charging just in case it explodes.

I don't worry about the unlikely.

--
Marital Status: Not Good
Wife's Name: Plaintiff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 May 2017 21:59:01 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:58:25 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 20:34:48 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 13:06:56 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

It's not limited, I use the 0-60 time every time I pull out of a junction.

So limited then if thats the only time you use it.

I didn't say only. Every time I accelerate and nobody is in front of me. So

what is your 0-60 time ?

8 seconds.

Deoos that mean you arrive 8 seconds early than expected ?
I'm just wondering how effective it is in the real world rather than in racing senerios where it's obviously important.

So did you base your choice of car on the 0-60 time then ?

That was one of the considerations.

So there were others then ... number of seats, top speed, number of doors, colour ?

All apart from the colour, yes.

Well at least that makes some sense.

Anyway, if I want to change the battery, it's handy to see the Ah and voltage on the back of it so I can get the right one to replace it.

In most phones and even laptops now you can't change the battery.

Bull****. You mean they don't want you to change it. Anything can be opened.

and anything can be damaged.
With yuor skills of size judgement and distance I doubt you;d get the right one anyway.

I've never failed to open a device without breaking it.

Doesn't suprise me.

What?

Read what you wrote.
You have NEVER opened a device WITHOUT BREAKIG it.

Which the mac classic was fine for a friend did her banking degree on a classic.
She preferred it to the IBM and clones of the time.

Way too bloody small, and not in colour.

Neither of which mattered.

It happens less in the UK with computers because there's a chance the serial number if found could be traced back.

Who cares what the foreign country does with it?

The idea of recyling is to stop waste and hopefully limit pollution.
We could have dumped it all ion regents canel rarhewr than spending £1000s having someone to come and take it way.

Anyway, I've seen plenty pictures of Indians dismantling circuit boards to get the capacitors, gold, etc.

are they dismantling these working PCs you sent back?

No, I know where they went.

How ? Did you send them back with tracking devices ?

Why don't they use them you've said they have for 10 years now.
Thing is you don't have a clue where your PCs have gone.

********, they were hand delivered.

Yeah sure.

So what happened to the £20 per item PCs how do you know they are still working ?

What? I don't care what they're doing, they're given to other people.

SO you can't know they were used at all.
Why give £20 to someone to throw it in the recycling bin can't you do that yourself ?

Because recycling isn't free for companies. Which is why I gave them away or just used the skip and didn't tell anyone.

Soem of those companies are just using the skip too, not recyling and some are fly tipping, of course yuo might have checked out the company to make sure they arent fly tipping, but hwo do you really check that.

The 50 or so PCs we had I had to take the HDs out of so all the PC had no HD and hence no OS.

I simply removed any data, or reformatted and reinstalled the OS.

For wqhatever reason we were more sensiative about what was on the HDs so they were taken out and NOT given away, I think some were reused in house, others were destroyed.

Were you incapable of simply wiping them?

Because theres the chance that someone could unerase them, while some were piut back into use, some were taken out to be wiped, otherwise I'd have to know the login details of each PC.

we also didn;t want licensed software being left on the machine s

Who gives a **** about licenses?

We doo, if they'd found our PCs being used we could be done for using pirated software.

and didn't want to pay the costs of installing ODS's on 50 PC that were to be scrapped.

What cost? You just let them sit there for an hour installing.

The cost of 50 licenses for the OS. which was windows XP at the time which isn't free.

Yes those handles were really meant to carry the imac without supporing it from underneath, there was a small trade in those imacs as cat baskets.

Stupid design. I often carried two.

why do that ?

20 of them to take from one end of the corridor to the other.

Oh I thought this was because smarphone screens are too small so you were using two 15" iMacs.

An Imac is not useful for anything.

So why did you have them and why carry them about.

10 trips or 20? Easy decision. Although I'd often wait till breaktime and grab a load of kids to carry them.

That sounds a much better idea, but then again I use trollies, the largest I have could hold about 8 iMacs. I typically put -12 PCs on our largest trolly
sod walking back and forth carrying 50 PCs with monitors & kb's & mice power leads etc..

ROFL! I used a trolley for some tower Imacs once. The stupid things were curved on the side, so they slid off.

Sounds likem teh G4 towers.

Quite a few smashed cases. Form over function, typical Apple ****.

This from someone who trips when wearing shoes, and forgets how tall they are so hit their head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEoDuy66XM

I wonder why that video got thumbs downs?

pretty shaky video and for doing stuff like that it wouldn't have been too much effort to have a steady camera do the filming.

Only slightly shaky. Youtube can remove that anyway.

Then he should select that option it can be quite annoying watchb a video like that when it could so easily be fixed.

Doesn't annoy me, not shaky enough. Doesn't your brain compensate?

No ones does that's probbaly why it got the thumbs down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

If the company put a decent size battery in there in the first place you wouldn't need to replace it.

You design a laptop, buy in some batteries,

If done properly you tell the bcompony what size and specs yuo want the battery to be.
You don;t build anyhting themn go out and find a battery which will magically fit it either electrically or mechanically.
Well unless you're a cheap knock out company copying others products.

That won't stop the battery manufacturer making dud ones.

Of course it won't with generic laptop batteries being sold.
If your battery is of a specific type maybe a knockoff supplier won't bother.

and the battery company makes a ****up somewhere.

You don;t support such companies.

You don't know which company might make a dodgy batch in the future.

You can go by reputation and that is one reason why Apple seem to do better than certain other companies.

Half the charging electronics care contained within the battery.

So ....

So you can't blame the laptop maker.

So were back to the battery manufactor don;t support those that make crap battereis by buying them, whether as an individual or a company.

I believe some Dell laptops did the same.

Only Dell, can't any laptop battery explode ?

I only heard of Dells doing it.

samsugn phone batteries .

They're not laptops.

They are batteries that explode were are apple's exploding batteries ?

Either they overloaded them, charged them too quick, or the batteries were a faulty batch. Liquid lithium spraying up through the keyboard into your hands I think. Most unpleasant.

Nasty but unlikely , more likely to happen when the laptop and battery people don;t get togther and it's done as an after thought. Far more likely to happen with replaceable batteries.

You don't need to get together. A battery simply won't explode unless it's faulty or the charger is faulty.

So what went wrong with the samsung batteries or the dell batteries ?
all evidence points to the batteries being at fault nothting else.

Why would a person chose a product with an exploding battery surely they are the morons those buying dell as yuo say.
Do you buy stuff with exploding batteries so you can change them.
I'd rather buy stuff with non-explodign battereis that I don't need to change.

You don't know they're going to be exploding.

So why were the samsung phones withdrawn and apps written to only charge the battery to 60% ?

What has that to do with people choosing to buy Samsung phones?

Why would you buy a phone and limit it's charging capacity to 60% ?
You can't even swap them out.
Whever happened to the great idea of replacable batteries like they had in laptops.

Before any exploded, nobody knew. After some exploded, the ones sold after that would be safe.

But they weren't even those were they reaplced the batteries still exploded.

Does the phone in your battery only charge to 60% or do you stop charging just in case it explodes.

I don't worry about the unlikely.

Thats' the way those that use Apple laptops feel about their batteries or rather the life of them, in the unlikely event that they'll fail before the useful life of a laptop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 May 2017 10:49:42 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 4 May 2017 21:59:01 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:58:25 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 20:34:48 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 13:06:56 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

It's not limited, I use the 0-60 time every time I pull out of a junction.

So limited then if thats the only time you use it.

I didn't say only. Every time I accelerate and nobody is in front of me. So

what is your 0-60 time ?

8 seconds.

Deoos that mean you arrive 8 seconds early than expected ?

No.

I'm just wondering how effective it is in the real world rather than in racing senerios where it's obviously important.

In the real world you are constantly changing speed due to junctions.

So did you base your choice of car on the 0-60 time then ?

That was one of the considerations.

So there were others then ... number of seats, top speed, number of doors, colour ?

All apart from the colour, yes.

Well at least that makes some sense.

Anyway, if I want to change the battery, it's handy to see the Ah and voltage on the back of it so I can get the right one to replace it.

In most phones and even laptops now you can't change the battery.

Bull****. You mean they don't want you to change it. Anything can be opened.

and anything can be damaged.
With yuor skills of size judgement and distance I doubt you;d get the right one anyway.

I've never failed to open a device without breaking it.

Doesn't suprise me.

What?

Read what you wrote.
You have NEVER opened a device WITHOUT BREAKIG it.

You missed one negative, the word "failed".

Which the mac classic was fine for a friend did her banking degree on a classic.
She preferred it to the IBM and clones of the time.

Way too bloody small, and not in colour.

Neither of which mattered.

The most important things.

It happens less in the UK with computers because there's a chance the serial number if found could be traced back.

Who cares what the foreign country does with it?

The idea of recyling is to stop waste and hopefully limit pollution.
We could have dumped it all ion regents canel rarhewr than spending £1000s having someone to come and take it way.

If it's polluting another country, I don't care.

Anyway, I've seen plenty pictures of Indians dismantling circuit boards to get the capacitors, gold, etc.

are they dismantling these working PCs you sent back?

No, I know where they went.

How ? Did you send them back with tracking devices ?

They were taken by colleagues personally to their destination and set up there.

Why don't they use them you've said they have for 10 years now.
Thing is you don't have a clue where your PCs have gone.

********, they were hand delivered.

Yeah sure.

Yes.

So what happened to the £20 per item PCs how do you know they are still working ?

What? I don't care what they're doing, they're given to other people.

SO you can't know they were used at all.
Why give £20 to someone to throw it in the recycling bin can't you do that yourself ?

Because recycling isn't free for companies. Which is why I gave them away or just used the skip and didn't tell anyone.

Soem of those companies are just using the skip too, not recyling and some are fly tipping, of course yuo might have checked out the company to make sure they arent fly tipping, but hwo do you really check that.

Who cares? I do what's cheapest.

The 50 or so PCs we had I had to take the HDs out of so all the PC had no HD and hence no OS.

I simply removed any data, or reformatted and reinstalled the OS.

For wqhatever reason we were more sensiative about what was on the HDs so they were taken out and NOT given away, I think some were reused in house, others were destroyed.

Were you incapable of simply wiping them?

Because theres the chance that someone could unerase them, while some were piut back into use, some were taken out to be wiped, otherwise I'd have to know the login details of each PC.

Then wipe then properly.

we also didn;t want licensed software being left on the machine s

Who gives a **** about licenses?

We doo, if they'd found our PCs being used we could be done for using pirated software.

If they're somewhere else, it's not you breaking the law.

and didn't want to pay the costs of installing ODS's on 50 PC that were to be scrapped.

What cost? You just let them sit there for an hour installing.

The cost of 50 licenses for the OS. which was windows XP at the time which isn't free.

It was already paid for when you bought the machine.

Yes those handles were really meant to carry the imac without supporing it from underneath, there was a small trade in those imacs as cat baskets.

Stupid design. I often carried two.

why do that ?

20 of them to take from one end of the corridor to the other.

Oh I thought this was because smarphone screens are too small so you were using two 15" iMacs.

An Imac is not useful for anything.

So why did you have them and why carry them about.

Because idiots that used to work there bought them.

10 trips or 20? Easy decision. Although I'd often wait till breaktime and grab a load of kids to carry them.

That sounds a much better idea, but then again I use trollies, the largest I have could hold about 8 iMacs. I typically put -12 PCs on our largest trolly
sod walking back and forth carrying 50 PCs with monitors & kb's & mice power leads etc..

ROFL! I used a trolley for some tower Imacs once. The stupid things were curved on the side, so they slid off.

Sounds likem teh G4 towers.

Yes.

Quite a few smashed cases. Form over function, typical Apple ****.

This from someone who trips when wearing shoes, and forgets how tall they are so hit their head.

I don't design curvy cases for things so they can't lie in their side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEoDuy66XM

I wonder why that video got thumbs downs?

pretty shaky video and for doing stuff like that it wouldn't have been too much effort to have a steady camera do the filming.

Only slightly shaky. Youtube can remove that anyway.

Then he should select that option it can be quite annoying watchb a video like that when it could so easily be fixed.

Doesn't annoy me, not shaky enough. Doesn't your brain compensate?

No ones does that's probbaly why it got the thumbs down.

Everybody's does. That's why you can see clearly when on a wobbly rollercoaster.

--
The squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 May 2017 22:38:57 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 08 May 2017 10:49:42 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 4 May 2017 21:59:01 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:58:25 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 20:34:48 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 13:06:56 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

It's not limited, I use the 0-60 time every time I pull out of a junction.

So limited then if thats the only time you use it.

I didn't say only. Every time I accelerate and nobody is in front of me. So

what is your 0-60 time ?

8 seconds.

Deoos that mean you arrive 8 seconds early than expected ?

No.

I'm just wondering how effective it is in the real world rather than in racing senerios where it's obviously important.

In the real world you are constantly changing speed due to junctions.

So do buses and cyclists, even pedestrains.

Which the mac classic was fine for a friend did her banking degree on a classic.
She preferred it to the IBM and clones of the time.

Way too bloody small, and not in colour.

Neither of which mattered.

The most important things.

you think banking, finances and the law depend on colour ;-)

It happens less in the UK with computers because there's a chance the serial number if found could be traced back.

Who cares what the foreign country does with it?

The idea of recyling is to stop waste and hopefully limit pollution.
We could have dumped it all ion regents canel rarhewr than spending £1000s having someone to come and take it way.

If it's polluting another country, I don't care.

That's your chouce but I wouldn't want to pay £1000s to pollute somewhere else.
This is also what happens with fly tipping a person pays another to safely dispose of their rubbish and you're old TV that you paid the guy £10 to recyclce ends up in the local stream, why pay a ******* like that when you could have done that yourself for free.

Anyway, I've seen plenty pictures of Indians dismantling circuit boards to get the capacitors, gold, etc.

are they dismantling these working PCs you sent back?

No, I know where they went.

How ? Did you send them back with tracking devices ?

They were taken by colleagues personally to their destination and set up there.

Did you here about the prisoners in the USA who set up their own PCs from recycled parts for illegal activities from inside the prison ?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...tes_netwo rk/

Why don't they use them you've said they have for 10 years now.
Thing is you don't have a clue where your PCs have gone.

********, they were hand delivered.

Yeah sure.

Yes.

Seems quite a waste did yuo hand delivery them if no, who did hand deliver them ?

Because recycling isn't free for companies. Which is why I gave them away or just used the skip and didn't tell anyone.

Soem of those companies are just using the skip too, not recyling and some are fly tipping, of course yuo might have checked out the company to make sure they arent fly tipping, but hwo do you really check that.

Who cares? I do what's cheapest.

So most likely your PC went to fly-tipping.

The 50 or so PCs we had I had to take the HDs out of so all the PC had no HD and hence no OS.

I simply removed any data, or reformatted and reinstalled the OS.

For wqhatever reason we were more sensiative about what was on the HDs so they were taken out and NOT given away, I think some were reused in house, others were destroyed.

Were you incapable of simply wiping them?

Because theres the chance that someone could unerase them, while some were piut back into use, some were taken out to be wiped, otherwise I'd have to know the login details of each PC.

Then wipe then properly.

I did I used a hammer, best way to reformat a drive.
Those drives were about 5-10 years old and pretty small most were under 10GB
so not a lot of use in todays world well at the time.
And it was our software license was on them, we aren't allowed to give away MS licenses for free to anyone and everyone.

we also didn;t want licensed software being left on the machine s

Who gives a **** about licenses?

We doo, if they'd found our PCs being used we could be done for using pirated software.

If they're somewhere else, it's not you breaking the law.

It's our software so it could be traced back.

and didn't want to pay the costs of installing ODS's on 50 PC that were to be scrapped.

What cost? You just let them sit there for an hour installing.

The cost of 50 licenses for the OS. which was windows XP at the time which isn't free.

It was already paid for when you bought the machine.

No it wasn't as we had a site license.

ROFL! I used a trolley for some tower Imacs once. The stupid things were curved on the side, so they slid off.

Sounds likem teh G4 towers.

Yes.

Nice machines in their day I still have one, the cases are nice just a quick release and the side hinges down, unlike crap PCs where you have to use a screw driver and end up scratching yourself on bare metal edges.

Quite a few smashed cases. Form over function, typical Apple ****.

This from someone who trips when wearing shoes, and forgets how tall they are so hit their head.

I don't design curvy cases for things so they can't lie in their side.

Why would you want them to lie on their side ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

Size is irrelevant, batteries have a limited lifespan.

You design a laptop, buy in some batteries,

If done properly you tell the bcompony what size and specs yuo want the battery to be.
You don;t build anyhting themn go out and find a battery which will magically fit it either electrically or mechanically.
Well unless you're a cheap knock out company copying others products.

That won't stop the battery manufacturer making dud ones.

Of course it won't with generic laptop batteries being sold.
If your battery is of a specific type maybe a knockoff supplier won't bother.

Duds occur no matter what.

and the battery company makes a ****up somewhere.
You don;t support such companies.

You don't know which company might make a dodgy batch in the future.

You can go by reputation and that is one reason why Apple seem to do better than certain other companies.

But you pay twice the price for their product.

I believe some Dell laptops did the same.

Only Dell, can't any laptop battery explode ?

I only heard of Dells doing it.

samsugn phone batteries .

They're not laptops.

They are batteries that explode were are apple's exploding batteries ?

Luck.

Why would a person chose a product with an exploding battery surely they are the morons those buying dell as yuo say.
Do you buy stuff with exploding batteries so you can change them.
I'd rather buy stuff with non-explodign battereis that I don't need to change.

You don't know they're going to be exploding.

So why were the samsung phones withdrawn and apps written to only charge the battery to 60% ?

What has that to do with people choosing to buy Samsung phones?

Why would you buy a phone and limit it's charging capacity to 60% ?
You can't even swap them out.
Whever happened to the great idea of replacable batteries like they had in laptops.

You can swap out anything with a screwdriver and half a clue.

How many exploded and how many didn't? It's a very small proportion and only ****wit reporters in the media make a big deal about it.

Does the phone in your battery only charge to 60% or do you stop charging just in case it explodes.

I don't worry about the unlikely.

Thats' the way those that use Apple laptops feel about their batteries or rather the life of them, in the unlikely event that they'll fail before the useful life of a laptop.

They're all unlikely to explode, Apple or not. And Apple are just as likely to have dodgy batteries in the future, in fact probably moreso, because Samsung will be being more careful.

--
It is OK to let your mind go blank, but please turn off the sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:

[...]

That utterly mangles the real story.

The lifespan of that sort of battery is determined
by how often it is recharged and that obviously
is affected by the size of the battery when a
bigger battery is recharged less often.

[...]

Nothing to do with luck.

Why would a person chose a product with an exploding battery surely
they are the morons those buying dell as yuo say.
Do you buy stuff with exploding batteries so you can change them.
I'd rather buy stuff with non-explodign battereis that I don't
need to change.

You don't know they're going to be exploding.

So why were the samsung phones withdrawn and apps written to only
charge the battery to 60% ?

What has that to do with people choosing to buy Samsung phones?

Why would you buy a phone and limit it's charging capacity to 60% ?
You can't even swap them out.
Whever happened to the great idea of replacable batteries like they had
in laptops.

You can swap out anything with a screwdriver and half a clue.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

Before any exploded, nobody knew. After some exploded, the ones sold
after that would be safe.

But they weren't even those were they reaplced the batteries still
exploded.

How many exploded and how many didn't? It's a very small proportion and
only ****wit reporters in the media make a big deal about it.

Does the phone in your battery only charge to 60% or do you stop
charging just in case it explodes.

I don't worry about the unlikely.

Thats' the way those that use Apple laptops feel about their batteries or
rather the life of them, in the unlikely event that they'll fail before
the useful life of a laptop.

They're all unlikely to explode, Apple or not.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

And Apple are just as likely to have dodgy batteries in the future,

Even sillier than you usually manage.

in fact probably moreso, because Samsung will be being more careful.

Didn't happen with the Note 7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 May 2017 20:07:17 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 08 May 2017 11:14:11 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

So I don't have to pay the manufacturer a fortune to open the cover.

If the company put a decent size battery in there in the first place you wouldn't need to replace it.

Size is irrelevant, batteries have a limited lifespan.

What use is a 1 mAh battery even if it lasts you a decade.

You design a laptop, buy in some batteries,

If done properly you tell the bcompony what size and specs yuo want the battery to be.
You don;t build anyhting themn go out and find a battery which will magically fit it either electrically or mechanically.
Well unless you're a cheap knock out company copying others products.

That won't stop the battery manufacturer making dud ones.

Of course it won't with generic laptop batteries being sold.
If your battery is of a specific type maybe a knockoff supplier won't bother.

Duds occur no matter what.

when you find a dub reject it don't try hiding it inside a phone or laptop.

and the battery company makes a ****up somewhere.
You don;t support such companies.

You don't know which company might make a dodgy batch in the future.

You can go by reputation and that is one reason why Apple seem to do better than certain other companies.

But you pay twice the price for their product.

That depends on the product but so what if you do, I'd rather pay twice the price for something that will last twice or 3 times longer.
Some prefer to pay more for quality.

I believe some Dell laptops did the same.

Only Dell, can't any laptop battery explode ?

I only heard of Dells doing it.

samsugn phone batteries .

They're not laptops.

They are batteries that explode were are apple's exploding batteries ?

Luck.

yeah sure maybe better designed is luck in your world.

So why were the samsung phones withdrawn and apps written to only charge the battery to 60% ?

What has that to do with people choosing to buy Samsung phones?

Why would you buy a phone and limit it's charging capacity to 60% ?
You can't even swap them out.
Whever happened to the great idea of replacable batteries like they had in laptops.

You can swap out anything with a screwdriver and half a clue.

as you can with Apple.

Before any exploded, nobody knew. After some exploded, the ones sold after that would be safe.

But they weren't even those were they reaplced the batteries still exploded.

How many exploded and how many didn't? It's a very small proportion and only ****wit reporters in the media make a big deal about it.

That's down to luck that so few have actually blown up as you said previously.
The more sold the more likely someones luck will run out.

Does the phone in your battery only charge to 60% or do you stop charging just in case it explodes.

I don't worry about the unlikely.

Thats' the way those that use Apple laptops feel about their batteries or rather the life of them, in the unlikely event that they'll fail before the useful life of a laptop.

They're all unlikely to explode, Apple or not. And Apple are just as likely to have dodgy batteries in the future, in fact probably moreso, because Samsung will be being more careful.

But samsung were;nt because theri replacement batteries blew up not only that but

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...lso-exploding/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0..._catches_fire/

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...y-note-7-fires

Maybe it's the 'power' design team every device needs power.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 June 2017 21:35:53 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2017 11:06:20 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

I'm just wondering how effective it is in the real world rather than in racing senerios where it's obviously important.

In the real world you are constantly changing speed due to junctions.

So do buses and cyclists, even pedestrains.

How does that make the 0-60 time of a car unimportant?

I never said it was unimportant I was just wondering how important for the average drive to and from work or whatever people do in their cars is that so difficult to understand ?

Which the mac classic was fine for a friend did her banking degree on a classic.
She preferred it to the IBM and clones of the time.

Way too bloody small, and not in colour.

Neither of which mattered.

The most important things.

you think banking, finances and the law depend on colour ;-)

They make anything more cheerful. why do you think piecharts have colours?

Because they can, why do you tbhink signatures are normally written in black or blue pens wants wrong with other colours ?

That's your chouce but I wouldn't want to pay £1000s to pollute somewhere else.

Better than paying nothing and having your own backyard polluted.

I;d rathe rpay someone to dispose of the things properly.

This is also what happens with fly tipping a person pays another to safely dispose of their rubbish and you're old TV that you paid the guy £10 to recyclce ends up in the local stream, why pay a ******* like that when you could have done that yourself for free.

Fly tipping happens because councils are too stupid to take stuff for free.

They won't take the colleges computer stuff for free either.

They were taken by colleagues personally to their destination and set up there.

Starange their employer could let them go to Africa to set up a few PC's

Did you here about the prisoners in the USA who set up their own PCs from recycled parts for illegal activities from inside the prison ?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...tes_netwo rk/

****ing brilliant. It shows those prisoners have intelligence. They should be let out early.

Shows you want can happen if such things aren't disposed of properly.

Why don't they use them you've said they have for 10 years now.
Thing is you don't have a clue where your PCs have gone.

********, they were hand delivered.

Yeah sure.

Yes.

Seems quite a waste did yuo hand delivery them if no, who did hand deliver them ?

I told you already, my colleagues. They were going to Africa anyway for research. There was space in the van.

I'd have thought space on the boat or plane was more critical and of course losing a memmeber of staff to go to Africa to set up the PC's.

Some of those companies are just using the skip too, not recyling and some are fly tipping, of course yuo might have checked out the company to make sure they arent fly tipping, but hwo do you really check that.

Who cares? I do what's cheapest.

So most likely your PC went to fly-tipping.

What company are you referring to? I just said above I put them in a skip (council landfill) or gave them away on the likes of freecycle.

I thought your colleagues took them to Africa in a van, well that's what you said above.

Were you incapable of simply wiping them?
Because theres the chance that someone could unerase them, while some were piut back into use, some were taken out to be wiped, otherwise I'd have to know the login details of each PC.

Then wipe then properly.

I did I used a hammer, best way to reformat a drive.

I just use a freeware utility to do a triple wipe.

Didn't seem worth the effort spending all that time wiping 50 or so PC's in such a way, it wasn't like most worked anyway.

Those drives were about 5-10 years old and pretty small most were under 10GB
so not a lot of use in todays world well at the time.

Not to you maybe, but some folk seem to manage to find a use for them.

I;m not running around trying to find those folks.

I've actually got three machines running here with 80GB drives.

Our biggest was 40GB I found most were 10GB they were also IED so wouldn;t be usuable in our newer PC's even as backup drives.

They're only using 35GB, and that's running Windows 10.

The speed of those drives were pretty slow in compariion to todays or even of those a few years ago.
You relly don;t want to put such an old drive on a high speed bus as it can slow it down.

It was already paid for when you bought the machine.

No it wasn't as we had a site license.

And when you change that PC to a new machine, you have a newer Windows on it. Who cares about an old XP one which you can't even buy anymore?

The same way I;d care about dumping toxic waste into the river, is similar to allowing XP and other OS,s that can be havested as bot servers.
The less XP and old systems out in the real world the less likely they'll cause problems.

ROFL! I used a trolley for some tower Imacs once. The stupid things were curved on the side, so they slid off.

Sounds likem teh G4 towers.

Yes.

Nice machines in their day I still have one, the cases are nice just a quick release and the side hinges down, unlike crap PCs where you have to use a screw driver and end up scratching yourself on bare metal edges.

They're rounded. They look ugly and as I found out you can't lie them on their side.

Quite a few smashed cases. Form over function, typical Apple ****.

This from someone who trips when wearing shoes, and forgets how tall they are so hit their head.

I don't design curvy cases for things so they can't lie in their side.

Why would you want them to lie on their side ?

Transport on a trolley.

I managed to get them standing upright side by side on a trolley in the same way teh=y were meant to stand upright when in use either of desktops or on the floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:26:18 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 23 May 2017 20:07:17 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 08 May 2017 11:14:11 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

So I don't have to pay the manufacturer a fortune to open the cover.

If the company put a decent size battery in there in the first place you wouldn't need to replace it.

Size is irrelevant, batteries have a limited lifespan.

What use is a 1 mAh battery even if it lasts you a decade.

My point is it doesn't matter if the battery lasts long enough between charges, it will still chemically die after 4 years.

You design a laptop, buy in some batteries,

If done properly you tell the bcompony what size and specs yuo want the battery to be.
You don;t build anyhting themn go out and find a battery which will magically fit it either electrically or mechanically.
Well unless you're a cheap knock out company copying others products.

That won't stop the battery manufacturer making dud ones.

Of course it won't with generic laptop batteries being sold.
If your battery is of a specific type maybe a knockoff supplier won't bother.

Duds occur no matter what.

when you find a dub reject it don't try hiding it inside a phone or laptop.

Probably not possible to detect all forms of dudness.

and the battery company makes a ****up somewhere.
You don;t support such companies.

You don't know which company might make a dodgy batch in the future.

You can go by reputation and that is one reason why Apple seem to do better than certain other companies.

But you pay twice the price for their product.

That depends on the product but so what if you do, I'd rather pay twice the price for something that will last twice or 3 times longer.
Some prefer to pay more for quality.

Phones and laptops don't wear out, they become obsolete, at the same rate.

I believe some Dell laptops did the same.

Only Dell, can't any laptop battery explode ?

I only heard of Dells doing it.

samsugn phone batteries .

They're not laptops.

They are batteries that explode were are apple's exploding batteries ?

Luck.

yeah sure maybe better designed is luck in your world.

I hardly think major manufacturers are using badly designed batteries.

Mind you, the ONLY manufacturer that makes Li-Ion batteries and doesn't LIE about their capacity is Panasonic. Unbranded I've measured at as little as 20% rated capacity. Samsung etc about 80%. Panasonic are precisely 100%.

So why were the samsung phones withdrawn and apps written to only charge the battery to 60% ?

What has that to do with people choosing to buy Samsung phones?

Why would you buy a phone and limit it's charging capacity to 60% ?
You can't even swap them out.
Whever happened to the great idea of replacable batteries like they had in laptops.

You can swap out anything with a screwdriver and half a clue.

as you can with Apple.

Apple brick them, didn't you hear about that?

Before any exploded, nobody knew. After some exploded, the ones sold after that would be safe.

But they weren't even those were they reaplced the batteries still exploded.

How many exploded and how many didn't? It's a very small proportion and only ****wit reporters in the media make a big deal about it.

That's down to luck that so few have actually blown up as you said previously.
The more sold the more likely someones luck will run out.

No, the majority won't explode or it would have been picked up in testing.

Does the phone in your battery only charge to 60% or do you stop charging just in case it explodes.

I don't worry about the unlikely.

Thats' the way those that use Apple laptops feel about their batteries or rather the life of them, in the unlikely event that they'll fail before the useful life of a laptop.

They're all unlikely to explode, Apple or not. And Apple are just as likely to have dodgy batteries in the future, in fact probably moreso, because Samsung will be being more careful.

But samsung were;nt because theri replacement batteries blew up not only that but

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...lso-exploding/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0..._catches_fire/

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...y-note-7-fires

Maybe it's the 'power' design team every device needs power.

Pretty sure you can find as many links for most manufacturers.

--
Condoms aren't completely safe. A friend of mine was wearing one and got hit by a bus.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 June 2017 18:19:02 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:26:18 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 23 May 2017 20:07:17 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 08 May 2017 11:14:11 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

So I don't have to pay the manufacturer a fortune to open the cover..

If the company put a decent size battery in there in the first place you wouldn't need to replace it.

Size is irrelevant, batteries have a limited lifespan.

What use is a 1 mAh battery even if it lasts you a decade.

My point is it doesn't matter if the battery lasts long enough between charges, it will still chemically die after 4 years.

Battery life is mostly determined by charge cycles or in extreme cases how it is treated. Most don't keep their computers 4 years anyway.

Duds occur no matter what.

when you find a dub reject it don't try hiding it inside a phone or laptop.

Probably not possible to detect all forms of dudness.

The more you test for .....

You can go by reputation and that is one reason why Apple seem to do better than certain other companies.

But you pay twice the price for their product.

That depends on the product but so what if you do, I'd rather pay twice the price for something that will last twice or 3 times longer.
Some prefer to pay more for quality.

Phones and laptops don't wear out, they become obsolete, at the same rate..

What do you mean by the same rate ?

I believe some Dell laptops did the same.

Only Dell, can't any laptop battery explode ?

I only heard of Dells doing it.

samsugn phone batteries .

They're not laptops.

They are batteries that explode were are apple's exploding batteries ?

Luck.

yeah sure maybe better designed is luck in your world.

I hardly think major manufacturers are using badly designed batteries.

Almost right. "I hardly think"

Perhaps you could explain why samsung had such problems then.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/galax...-what-happened

Batteries made by Samsung's SDI group were too small at one corner, causing negative electrodes to be bent and increase the likelihood of short circuiting. Separately, batteries from third party provider Amperex Technology Ltd were incorrectly welded. Points left on the batteries were able to penetrate protective insulation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 11:03:29 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Saturday, 10 June 2017 18:19:02 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:26:18 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 23 May 2017 20:07:17 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 08 May 2017 11:14:11 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

So I don't have to pay the manufacturer a fortune to open the cover.

If the company put a decent size battery in there in the first place you wouldn't need to replace it.

Size is irrelevant, batteries have a limited lifespan.
What use is a 1 mAh battery even if it lasts you a decade.

My point is it doesn't matter if the battery lasts long enough between charges, it will still chemically die after 4 years.

Battery life is mostly determined by charge cycles or in extreme cases how it is treated. Most don't keep their computers 4 years anyway.

And the time limit of 4 years. You can't buy a rechargeable, hardly ever use it, then expect it to work 10 years later.

Duds occur no matter what.

when you find a dub reject it don't try hiding it inside a phone or laptop.

Probably not possible to detect all forms of dudness.

The more you test for .....

The more it costs.

You can go by reputation and that is one reason why Apple seem to do better than certain other companies.

But you pay twice the price for their product.

That depends on the product but so what if you do, I'd rather pay twice the price for something that will last twice or 3 times longer.
Some prefer to pay more for quality.

Phones and laptops don't wear out, they become obsolete, at the same rate.

What do you mean by the same rate ?

"the same rate" is a common enough English phrase.

[...]

Why do you expect a 100% success rate in everything?

--
Why don't Siamese cats come in pairs?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 June 2017 14:24:43 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

So no point in buying it then if it only last 4 years is that what your saying ?

Duds occur no matter what.

when you find a dub reject it don't try hiding it inside a phone or laptop.

Probably not possible to detect all forms of dudness.

The more you test for .....

The more it costs.

yes, it's cost samsung quite a bit.
Maybe the saving on testing or spending money on a betteryh battery didnlt pay off this time, better luck next time perhaps.

Phones and laptops don't wear out, they become obsolete, at the same rate.

What do you mean by the same rate ?

"the same rate" is a common enough English phrase.

But it doesnt apply equally to all computers.
Look at a 4 year old apple laptop and a 4 year old lenvenoe and check the prices.

yeah sure maybe better designed is luck in your world.

I hardly think major manufacturers are using badly designed batteries.

Almost right. "I hardly think"

Perhaps you could explain why samsung had such problems then.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/galax...-what-happened

Batteries made by Samsung's SDI group were too small at one corner, causing negative electrodes to be bent and increase the likelihood of short circuiting. Separately, batteries from third party provider Amperex Technology Ltd were incorrectly welded. Points left on the batteries were able to penetrate protective insulation.

Why do you expect a 100% success rate in everything?

I don't.

How many of apples iphone7s have exploded or have had bad batteries ?

ikea bob UK diy 1 February 5th 10 04:10 PM
Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver! spencer[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 10:25 PM
IKEA UK Search UK diy 3 February 14th 08 12:52 PM
Johnny America is Challenging "The Corporate Bush Whores" to a Presidential Debate - Save Our Souls "The most important recording YOU'LL ever hear." Save Our Souls - Bushite troops asked if they would MURDER Americans for the Phil L UK diy 0 February 13th 08 12:46 AM
F****** Ikea [email protected] UK diy 12 February 2nd 08 09:46 AM