Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Domestic water hardener?

Okay, if soft water is widely considered to be a significant cause of heart
disease, what's the simplest way of hardening a supply of drinking water in
a domestic situation where the supply is naturally very soft?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought it was only artificially softened water that some consider
unhealthy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Huge" wrote:

And what is "naturally softened" water?

There is, I presume, no such thing. But there is naturally soft water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 22:06:10 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Okay, if soft water is widely considered to be a significant cause of heart
disease, what's the simplest way of hardening a supply of drinking water in
a domestic situation where the supply is naturally very soft?

https://www.sanpellegrino.com/uk/en
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Tim+ wrote

Okay, if soft water is widely considered to be a significant cause of
heart
disease, what's the simplest way of hardening a supply of drinking water
in
a domestic situation where the supply is naturally very soft?

https://www.sanpellegrino.com/uk/en

Stupid waste of money. There isnt a shred of evidence that there
is any medical problem with naturally very soft water, most obviously
with water that is collected from the roof of your own house etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 December 2016 07:00:20 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Tim+ wrote

Okay, if soft water is widely considered to be a significant cause of
heart
disease, what's the simplest way of hardening a supply of drinking water
in
a domestic situation where the supply is naturally very soft?

https://www.sanpellegrino.com/uk/en

Stupid waste of money. There isnt a shred of evidence that there
is any medical problem with naturally very soft water, most obviously
with water that is collected from the roof of your own house etc.

We drank this on our holidays though - cheap at the gas stations.

http://www.donatmg.eu/en
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 07:32, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 07:00:20 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Tim+ wrote

Okay, if soft water is widely considered to be a significant cause of
heart
disease, what's the simplest way of hardening a supply of drinking water
in
a domestic situation where the supply is naturally very soft?

https://www.sanpellegrino.com/uk/en

Stupid waste of money. There isnt a shred of evidence that there
is any medical problem with naturally very soft water, most obviously
with water that is collected from the roof of your own house etc.

We drank this on our holidays though - cheap at the gas stations.

http://www.donatmg.eu/en

What a waste of money. The BBC did a blind test of several well known
bottled water brands and the favourite taste was from a bottle of plain
old tap water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 07:38, Bod wrote:
[...]

"Most people are surprised to learn that theyre drinking glorified tap
water, but bottlers arent required to list the source on the label".

http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight...hat-you-drink/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 22:04:51 -0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

Okay, if soft water is widely considered to be a significant cause of heart
disease, what's the simplest way of hardening a supply of drinking water in
a domestic situation where the supply is naturally very soft?

Tim

Add minerals!

As this is DIY: There is a "mineral water calculator".

One makes mineral solutions, using (checks): Plaster of Paris, Epsom salt,
Chalk, Baking soda, Table salt, Milk of magnesia, Slaked lime.

Then enter the analysis of your tap water in a spreadsheet, available form your
water supplier in many cases. Then select, for example, a precocious mineral
water from the lower Himalayas rich in salty tones, and the spreadsheet tells
you how much of what to add (or if your tap water already contains too much of a
mineral to get there from here).

Carbonation is an extra step.

Article, link to spreadsheet near the bottom:
http://blog.khymos.org/2012/01/04/mineral-waters-a-la-carte/

Alternatively, usenet participants can scape the kettle fur from their kettles,
water heaters, and bathroom tiles, and mail it to less fortunate
participants.... (This may require some carbonic acid to dissolve the minerals.)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 December 2016 07:39:00 UTC, Bod wrote:

We drank this on our holidays though - cheap at the gas stations.

http://www.donatmg.eu/en

What a waste of money. The BBC did a blind test of several well known
bottled water brands and the favourite taste was from a bottle of plain
old tap water.

This actually tasted like weak Milk of Magnesia as it had that much Maggy in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 08:02, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 07:39:00 UTC, Bod wrote:

We drank this on our holidays though - cheap at the gas stations.

http://www.donatmg.eu/en

What a waste of money. The BBC did a blind test of several well known
bottled water brands and the favourite taste was from a bottle of plain
old tap water.

This actually tasted like weak Milk of Magnesia as it had that much Maggy in it.

Just eat some Beans and nuts.
or whole grains such as brown rice and whole wheat bread,
green leafy vegetables in your diet.

A proper balanced diet will give your body all of the vitamins/minerals
that it needs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Tim+ wrote

Okay, if soft water is widely considered to be a significant
cause of heart disease, what's the simplest way of hardening
a supply of drinking water in a domestic situation where the
supply is naturally very soft?

https://www.sanpellegrino.com/uk/en

Stupid waste of money. There isnt a shred of evidence that there
is any medical problem with naturally very soft water, most obviously
with water that is collected from the roof of your own house etc.

We drank this on our holidays though - cheap at the gas stations.

Much cheaper to use tap water.

http://www.donatmg.eu/en

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:18:10 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Tim+ wrote

Okay, if soft water is widely considered to be a significant
cause of heart disease, what's the simplest way of hardening
a supply of drinking water in a domestic situation where the
supply is naturally very soft?

https://www.sanpellegrino.com/uk/en

Stupid waste of money. There isnt a shred of evidence that there
is any medical problem with naturally very soft water, most obviously
with water that is collected from the roof of your own house etc.

We drank this on our holidays though - cheap at the gas stations.

Much cheaper to use tap water.

http://www.donatmg.eu/en

MINE IS DEVOID OF MINERALS THOUGH.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:16:56 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 01/12/2016 08:02, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 07:39:00 UTC, Bod wrote:

We drank this on our holidays though - cheap at the gas stations.

http://www.donatmg.eu/en

What a waste of money. The BBC did a blind test of several well known
bottled water brands and the favourite taste was from a bottle of plain
old tap water.

This actually tasted like weak Milk of Magnesia as it had that much Maggy in it.

Just eat some Beans and nuts.
or whole grains such as brown rice and whole wheat bread,
green leafy vegetables in your diet.

A proper balanced diet will give your body all of the vitamins/minerals
that it needs.

Already do that and much more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 07:39:00 UTC, Bod wrote:

We drank this on our holidays though - cheap at the gas stations.

http://www.donatmg.eu/en

What a waste of money. The BBC did a blind test of several well known
bottled water brands and the favourite taste was from a bottle of plain
old tap water.

This actually tasted like weak Milk of Magnesia as it had that much Maggy
in it.

More fool you for ****ing your money against the wall on that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 08:21, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:16:56 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 01/12/2016 08:02, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 07:39:00 UTC, Bod wrote:

We drank this on our holidays though - cheap at the gas stations.

http://www.donatmg.eu/en

What a waste of money. The BBC did a blind test of several well known
bottled water brands and the favourite taste was from a bottle of plain
old tap water.

This actually tasted like weak Milk of Magnesia as it had that much Maggy in it.

Just eat some Beans and nuts.
or whole grains such as brown rice and whole wheat bread,
green leafy vegetables in your diet.

A proper balanced diet will give your body all of the vitamins/minerals
that it needs.

Already do that and much more.

What do you mean "and much more"? A proper balanced diet gives you all
that you need. Dark chocolate is a tasty way to get magnesium.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 08:30, Bod wrote:
[...]

Top 10 High Magnesium Foods You Can't Miss:

https://www.healthaliciousness.com/a...-magnesium.php
Conversely, consuming too much magnesium typically causes diarrhea as
the body attempts to excrete the excess. High magnesium foods include
dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fish, beans, whole grains, avocados,
yogurt, bananas, dried fruit, dark chocolate, and more. The current
daily value (DV) for magnesium is 400mg.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:30:59 UTC, Bod wrote:

Already do that and much more.

What do you mean "and much more"? A proper balanced diet gives you all
that you need. Dark chocolate is a tasty way to get magnesium.

Black coffee from beans, black pudding, red snapper, kale, limes, coriander, turmeric, lycopene, linseed oil, avocado oil,steak, pumpkin seeds, beer, ostrich, and sweet potatoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 08:57, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:30:59 UTC, Bod wrote:

Already do that and much more.

What do you mean "and much more"? A proper balanced diet gives you all
that you need. Dark chocolate is a tasty way to get magnesium.

Black coffee from beans, black pudding, red snapper, kale, limes, coriander, turmeric, lycopene, linseed oil, avocado oil,steak, pumpkin seeds, beer, ostrich, and sweet potatoes.

Ah! that good old English favourite..... Ostrich.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:59:21 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 01/12/2016 08:57, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:30:59 UTC, Bod wrote:

Already do that and much more.

What do you mean "and much more"? A proper balanced diet gives you all
that you need. Dark chocolate is a tasty way to get magnesium.

Black coffee from beans, black pudding, red snapper, kale, limes, coriander, turmeric, lycopene, linseed oil, avocado oil,steak, pumpkin seeds, beer, ostrich, and sweet potatoes.

Ah! that good old English favourite..... Ostrich.

Oddly enough, the only place you can get it is here.

http://www.thefoodwarehouse.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:30:59 UTC, Bod wrote:

Already do that and much more.

What do you mean "and much more"? A proper balanced diet gives you all
that you need. Dark chocolate is a tasty way to get magnesium.

Black coffee from beans, black pudding, red snapper, kale,
limes, coriander, turmeric, lycopene, linseed oil, avocado oil,
steak, pumpkin seeds, beer, ostrich, and sweet potatoes.

No wonder you had a short circuit between the ears...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:59:21 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 01/12/2016 08:57, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:30:59 UTC, Bod wrote:

Already do that and much more.

What do you mean "and much more"? A proper balanced diet gives you all
that you need. Dark chocolate is a tasty way to get magnesium.

Black coffee from beans, black pudding, red snapper, kale, limes,
coriander, turmeric, lycopene, linseed oil, avocado oil,steak, pumpkin
seeds, beer, ostrich, and sweet potatoes.

Ah! that good old English favourite..... Ostrich.

Oddly enough, the only place you can get it is here.

http://www.thefoodwarehouse.com/

We've got plenty.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ostrich&tbm=isch

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 09:10, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:59:21 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 01/12/2016 08:57, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:30:59 UTC, Bod wrote:

Already do that and much more.

What do you mean "and much more"? A proper balanced diet gives you all
that you need. Dark chocolate is a tasty way to get magnesium.

Black coffee from beans, black pudding, red snapper, kale, limes, coriander, turmeric, lycopene, linseed oil, avocado oil,steak, pumpkin seeds, beer, ostrich, and sweet potatoes.

Ah! that good old English favourite..... Ostrich.

Oddly enough, the only place you can get it is here.

http://www.thefoodwarehouse.com/

Also:

Aldi to sell ostrich steaks for £4.99 - Telegraph
www.telegraph.co.uk ۼ Food and Drink ۼ Food and Drink News
26 Aug 2014 - Discount supermarket Aldi is to start selling ostrich meat
in its stores next ... ostrich steaks in their Specialbuy promotion
across their UK stores.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 09:21, Rod Speed wrote:

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:59:21 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 01/12/2016 08:57, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:30:59 UTC, Bod wrote:

Already do that and much more.

What do you mean "and much more"? A proper balanced diet gives you
all
that you need. Dark chocolate is a tasty way to get magnesium.

Black coffee from beans, black pudding, red snapper, kale, limes,
coriander, turmeric, lycopene, linseed oil, avocado oil,steak,
pumpkin seeds, beer, ostrich, and sweet potatoes.

Ah! that good old English favourite..... Ostrich.

Oddly enough, the only place you can get it is here.

http://www.thefoodwarehouse.com/

We've got plenty.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ostrich&tbm=isch

What does it taste like, apart from, er, Ostrich?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well the Thames Water people have this figured out. They store the water in
a gigantic concrete pipe that goes around |London and all the cement
dissolves into the water...:-)
I'm not too sure whether I believe that soft water is a problem in of
itself myself. We have after all had variably hard or soft water for as long
as the human has been around.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Okay, if soft water is widely considered to be a significant cause of
heart
disease, what's the simplest way of hardening a supply of drinking water
in
a domestic situation where the supply is naturally very soft?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-01, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Huge

On 2016-11-30, Bert Coules wrote:
"Huge" wrote:

And what is "naturally softened" water?

There is, I presume, no such thing. But there is naturally soft water.

Precisely.

Is the issue that water that has been softened by an ion exchanger
tends to have more sodium in it, whereas naturally soft water doesn't?

Yep.

http://www.ukwaterservices.com/drinking-softened-water

It is generally accepted that hard water is better for you and contains
magnesium and other minerals etc:

BBC NEWS | Health | Hard water 'stops heart attacks'
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3396141.stm
15 Jan 2004 - Drinking hard water may protect against heart disease,
researchers have claimed. ... Your news when you want it ... They found
for every unit increase in water hardness, there was a 1% decrease in
the risk of having a further ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 December 2016 09:13:22 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:30:59 UTC, Bod wrote:

Already do that and much more.

What do you mean "and much more"? A proper balanced diet gives you all
that you need. Dark chocolate is a tasty way to get magnesium.

Black coffee from beans, black pudding, red snapper, kale,
limes, coriander, turmeric, lycopene, linseed oil, avocado oil,
steak, pumpkin seeds, beer, ostrich, and sweet potatoes.

No wonder you had a short circuit between the ears...

I had one in my sauna last night.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cxrh0mCXgAA2cEs.jpg

Still, it's had a good innings of 10 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 December 2016 09:27:09 UTC, Bod wrote:

We've got plenty.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ostrich&tbm=isch

What does it taste like, apart from, er, Ostrich?

A bit like a goose leg meat but with less fat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 09:58, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 09:27:09 UTC, Bod wrote:

We've got plenty.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ostrich&tbm=isch

What does it taste like, apart from, er, Ostrich?

A bit like a goose leg meat but with less fat.

Hmm, I'm still none the wiser because I have never tasted Goose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 09:13:22 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:30:59 UTC, Bod wrote:

Already do that and much more.

What do you mean "and much more"? A proper balanced diet gives you all
that you need. Dark chocolate is a tasty way to get magnesium.

Black coffee from beans, black pudding, red snapper, kale,
limes, coriander, turmeric, lycopene, linseed oil, avocado oil,
steak, pumpkin seeds, beer, ostrich, and sweet potatoes.

No wonder you had a short circuit between the ears...

I had one in my sauna last night.

One what ?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cxrh0mCXgAA2cEs.jpg

Not much of a meal there...

Still, it's had a good innings of 10 years.

With you munching on it every night eh ?

I've told the RSPCDRFEWQ, you'll be soorree...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
On 01/12/2016 09:58, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 09:27:09 UTC, Bod wrote:

We've got plenty.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ostrich&tbm=isch

What does it taste like, apart from, er, Ostrich?

A bit like a goose leg meat but with less fat.

Hmm, I'm still none the wiser because I have never tasted Goose.

Shouldnt be hard to find an old boot...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 10:31, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 10:05:57 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 01/12/2016 09:58, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 09:27:09 UTC, Bod wrote:

We've got plenty.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ostrich&tbm=isch

What does it taste like, apart from, er, Ostrich?

A bit like a goose leg meat but with less fat.

Hmm, I'm still none the wiser because I have never tasted Goose.

Like Duck then.

Ah! thanks, but Rod differs and says it tastes like old boots.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 07:38, Bod wrote:
[...]

But look at all the extra bacteria you can get in bottled water, it must
do you good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 7:32:53 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 07:00:20 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Tim+ wrote

Okay, if soft water is widely considered to be a significant cause of
heart
disease, what's the simplest way of hardening a supply of drinking water
in
a domestic situation where the supply is naturally very soft?

https://www.sanpellegrino.com/uk/en

Stupid waste of money. There isnt a shred of evidence that there
is any medical problem with naturally very soft water, most obviously
with water that is collected from the roof of your own house etc.

We drank this on our holidays though - cheap at the gas stations.

http://www.donatmg.eu/en

trivial remark:
Interesting that on their advert they show the time line from right to left. That's usually only done in countries whey write from right to left (Arabic, Hebrew for example).

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/16 22:09, Bert Coules wrote:
I thought it was only artificially softened water that some consider
unhealthy.

The theory is that an excess of sodium ions (as opposed to calcium ones)
in artificially softened water is as had as eating a packet of crisps
every hour, although the amount of sodium in a pint of softened water is
about the same as in one crisp, never mind the whole packet.

i.e. there are three sorts of water:
Naturally soft = no carbonates.
Hard = calcium carbonates.
Softened = sodium carbonates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/16 09:27, Bod wrote:
On 01/12/2016 09:21, Rod Speed wrote:

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:59:21 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 01/12/2016 08:57, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 08:30:59 UTC, Bod wrote:

Already do that and much more.

What do you mean "and much more"? A proper balanced diet gives you
all
that you need. Dark chocolate is a tasty way to get magnesium.

Black coffee from beans, black pudding, red snapper, kale, limes,
coriander, turmeric, lycopene, linseed oil, avocado oil,steak,
pumpkin seeds, beer, ostrich, and sweet potatoes.

Ah! that good old English favourite..... Ostrich.

Oddly enough, the only place you can get it is here.

http://www.thefoodwarehouse.com/

We've got plenty.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ostrich&tbm=isch

What does it taste like, apart from, er, Ostrich?

Bit like dark meat from a turkey crossed with beef, or horse.

It's not bad, but somehow I never went 'gosh wow, I must buy more of that'

Same experience as eating hare. Yes, it's not bad. But I'd rather have
lamb..

OTOH venison is something I regularly buy, as are wild ducks.

Heating Domestic Water Leveled UK diy 11 July 6th 08 10:41 AM
Domestic Hot Water Temperatures? jill UK diy 15 January 10th 08 03:11 PM
Domestic water problem... None UK diy 12 June 21st 07 11:51 PM
Need source for domestic water tank for solar hot water application. carneyke Metalworking 13 March 8th 06 01:28 PM
Worcester 240 - Domestic hot water Richard UK diy 3 December 23rd 03 10:49 AM