Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heating Domestic Water

So would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water ??
thanks E

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 15:20:20 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

So would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water ??
thanks E

From the last time someone in here did the calculations, not yet. by a
long way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 15:20:20 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

So would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water ??
thanks E

From the last time someone in here did the calculations, not yet. by a
long way.

FRom te last time I did that calculatins, yes, if on E7..divide oil
price by 10 and compare with electyricity unit price.

off peak currently 4.85, oil as of this morning, around 6p/unit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 15:20:20 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

So would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water ??
thanks E

From the last time someone in here did the calculations, not yet. by a
long way.

FRom te last time I did that calculatins, yes, if on E7..divide oil price
by 10 and compare with electyricity unit price.

off peak currently 4.85, oil as of this morning, around 6p/unit.

Some say yes and some no ! My electricity cost is 12 pence a unit (overall)
and oil over 60 pence so for me with no off peak the oil would be half the
price of electricity, If I divide by 10 is that right ??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jul, 20:54, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
EricP wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 15:20:20 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

So *would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water ??
thanks *E

From the last time someone in here did the calculations, not yet. by a
long way.

FRom te last time I did that calculatins, yes, if on E7..divide oil
price by 10 and compare with electyricity unit price.

off peak currently 4.85, oil as of this morning, around 6p/unit.

I had a customer who swore it was cheaper to use his immersion heater
during the summer. However every autumn he had to call me to get the
system going again as it had been idle for months and a variety of
faults presented from the usual stuck circulating pump to the oil
draining back to the tank and leaving the fuel pump running dry on his
wall mounted boiler. If only he had run it for a few minutes each day
it wouldn't have happened but he was one of those dogmatic types (good
payer though)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leveled wrote:
EricP wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 15:20:20 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

So would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water ??
thanks E
From the last time someone in here did the calculations, not yet. by a
long way.

FRom te last time I did that calculatins, yes, if on E7..divide oil price
by 10 and compare with electyricity unit price.

off peak currently 4.85, oil as of this morning, around 6p/unit.

Some say yes and some no ! My electricity cost is 12 pence a unit (overall)

How much is the cost of each ADDITIONAL unit though.

Since you are probably execeeding a base level at high price, you should
compare the incremental cost, not the absolute overall cost.

and oil over 60 pence so for me with no off peak the oil would be half the
price of electricity, If I divide by 10 is that right ??

The maths is right on the oil, but check again n the electricity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leveled wrote:
EricP wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 15:20:20 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

So would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water
??
thanks E
From the last time someone in here did the calculations, not yet. by a
long way.
FRom te last time I did that calculatins, yes, if on E7..divide oil
price by 10 and compare with electyricity unit price.

off peak currently 4.85, oil as of this morning, around 6p/unit.

Some say yes and some no ! My electricity cost is 12 pence a unit
(overall)

How much is the cost of each ADDITIONAL unit though.

Since you are probably execeeding a base level at high price, you should
compare the incremental cost, not the absolute overall cost.

and oil over 60 pence so for me with no off peak the oil would be half
the price of electricity, If I divide by 10 is that right ??

The maths is right on the oil, but check again n the electricity.

Ebico Electricity (not off peak) price for South West 12.13pence per unit,
you do the maths for me please

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 15:20:20 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

So would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water
??
thanks E

From the last time someone in here did the calculations, not yet. by a
long way.

FRom te last time I did that calculatins, yes, if on E7..divide oil
price by 10 and compare with electyricity unit price.

off peak currently 4.85, oil as of this morning, around 6p/unit.

I had a customer who swore it was cheaper to use his immersion heater
during the summer. However every autumn he had to call me to get the
system going again as it had been idle for months and a variety of
faults presented from the usual stuck circulating pump to the oil
draining back to the tank and leaving the fuel pump running dry on his
wall mounted boiler. If only he had run it for a few minutes each day
it wouldn't have happened but he was one of those dogmatic types (good
payer though)

I can do that by running the oil boiler for 10minutes or so a week but what
I am trying to find out is, would it be cheaper to heat the water with non
off peak electricity at
12.to 13 pence a unit than with oil at 60pence + a litre anyone have a
straight answer ??

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 15:20:20 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

So would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water ??
thanks E

I haven't turned on the oil boiler since April. I switch on the
immersion heater (3kw) for 30 minutes each morning and that is plenty
for washing (me) and the washing-up. Twice a week I leave it on for
another 30 minutes and have enough piping hot water for a generous
bath (I don't care for showers much). So one hour at 3 units = about
32 pence.

To worry geoff even more, I have been recording my electricity meter
readings for some while and am using on average 9 units per day at the
moment. This will inevitably rise towards the autumn. That is total
consumption - PCs, TV, electric drill when I do DIY etc. I have just
completed building a solar water heater and am now testing it, if we
ever get any actual summer weather, that is!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 16:58:31 +0100, EricP
wrote:

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 15:20:20 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

So would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water ??
thanks E

From the last time someone in here did the calculations, not yet. by a
long way.

Since the "last time" oil will have increased by orders of magnitude.
See my other post. 50% increase since January. Even the leccky
companies haven't had the gall to increase their prices by that much.
Yet.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

EricP wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 15:20:20 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

So *would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water ??
thanks *E

From the last time someone in here did the calculations, not yet. by a
long way.

FRom te last time I did that calculatins, yes, if on E7..divide oil
price by 10 and compare with electyricity unit price.

off peak currently 4.85, oil as of this morning, around 6p/unit.

I had a customer who swore it was cheaper to use his immersion heater
during the summer. However every autumn he had to call me to get the
system going again as it had been idle for months and a variety of
faults presented from the usual stuck circulating pump to the oil
draining back to the tank and leaving the fuel pump running dry on his
wall mounted boiler. If only he had run it for a few minutes each day
it wouldn't have happened but he was one of those dogmatic types (good
payer though)

I run mine for five minutes every few days. The price of heating oil
will soon top a £1 a litre. It's risen by 50% in six months. Another
50% from today would put the price by January at around 93p per litre,
so this time next year we'll probably be well past the £1 mark. I bet
electricity will be cheaper then! I'd like to see the back of domestic
oil heating. It's messy, there's the ugly great tank in the garden, a
magnet now for oil theft; the boiler is an expensive bit of kit. The
whole oil heating malarkey looks like its days are numbered and about
time. So much easier just to flick a switch.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

EricP wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 15:20:20 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

So would I find it cheaper to switch off my oil boiler and use the
immersion heater which is on full price electricity to heat the water
??
thanks E

From the last time someone in here did the calculations, not yet. by a
[...]

The only way to measure would be to start with a cold tank of water in
the airing cupboard, then heat for an hour with oil. Repeat the
exercise with the immersion heater. Take the temperature of the water
at the start of running the hot tap (say into the bath), allow 10
gallons to flow from the tap (mark the side of the bath with a strip
of masking tape), and take the temperature of the flow at the tap
again. If the temperatures are the same for oil versus electricity,
then it's a straightforward calculation between the unit cost and the
amount of oil consumed. Most boiler manufacturers will have figures on
how much oil is ACTUALLY consumed in one hour and even if the amount
fluctuates slightly due to ambient temperature and other factors, a
ballpark calculation should be enough to work out the difference.

The thing is with oil, first the boiler has to get hot, then the pipes
have to get hot, then the heat in the water is transferred to the tank
in the airing cupboard. My oil boiler (new house) is in the garage,
i.e. quite a long way away from the airing cupboard! That's a lot of
cold pipe that first has to be heated. On the other hand, the
immersion heater is, er, immersed directly in the water so every joule
goes straight into the water, not the pipes or the brickwork
surrounding the pipes.

Anyway, 30 minutes on the immersion heater gives me all the hot water
I need for ablutions and washing up. That's about 16p's worth. And
since the oil price is rising almost daily, whereas electricity isn't,
the latter is becoming cheaper with every week that passes. Until the
lecky companies get wise to it and whack on another 40%!

Whatever we do, by the way, we cannot win against capitalism. The
buggers WILL have all our money, one way or t'other. The ONLY solution
is to become self-sufficient, e.g. wood-burning stove, turbine, solar
panels, solar water heating, ground heat pumps, flywheels, water
wheels. Even having a good, old-fashioned bullock in the kitchen will
provide plenty of warmth in the winter. Snuggle up, kids!

MM