mike

Default The Good Old Days of UK.D-I-Y

Been reading UK.D-I-Y at Google Groups for the last couple of years.

Thanks to the antics of the idiot cross-posters who appeared just
before Christmas, it's now virtually unuseable.

While we wait for the EU to realise the wisdom of euthanasing these
morons for the good of the species, can anyone recommened a decent
newsgroup reader for Mac OS X that will filter out the chaff and get
back to the real business of Andy/IMM ding-dongs about cheap power
tools and land reform?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
BigWallop

"mike" wrote in message
om...
Been reading UK.D-I-Y at Google Groups for the last couple of years.

Thanks to the antics of the idiot cross-posters who appeared just
before Christmas, it's now virtually unuseable.

While we wait for the EU to realise the wisdom of euthanasing these
morons for the good of the species, can anyone recommened a decent
newsgroup reader for Mac OS X that will filter out the chaff and get
back to the real business of Andy/IMM ding-dongs about cheap power
tools and land reform?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

The Apple UK website has a free e-mail and news reader software package on
it I think, so it might be worth a look.

The Natural Philosopher

mike wrote:

Been reading UK.D-I-Y at Google Groups for the last couple of years.

Thanks to the antics of the idiot cross-posters who appeared just
before Christmas, it's now virtually unuseable.

While we wait for the EU to realise the wisdom of euthanasing these
morons for the good of the species, can anyone recommened a decent
newsgroup reader for Mac OS X that will filter out the chaff and get
back to the real business of Andy/IMM ding-dongs about cheap power
tools and land reform?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

If you use netscape, ou can hit 'K' to 'ignore thread' which is mostly
what I do.

RichardS

"mike" wrote in message
om...
Been reading UK.D-I-Y at Google Groups for the last couple of years.

Thanks to the antics of the idiot cross-posters who appeared just
before Christmas, it's now virtually unuseable.

While we wait for the EU to realise the wisdom of euthanasing these
morons for the good of the species, can anyone recommened a decent
newsgroup reader for Mac OS X that will filter out the chaff and get
back to the real business of Andy/IMM ding-dongs about cheap power
tools and land reform?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

'fraid I can't point to anything for Macs or the UNIX OSs, but for windoze
users the following info might be useful.

I don't see any of these threads. At all. Well, unless some kind soul
decides to continue the thread dropping the cross-posts.

Why? Well, a while ago rec.woodworking was unfortunate to attract the
attentions of these cross-posting spammers/purveyors of crap. Someone
suggested using something called NewsProxy. It's a proxy filter that sits
running on your PC and whichever newsreader you care to use points at that
instead of your news server. It accepts regular expressions for filtering
content, so your newsreader doesn't even get to see these filtered articles.

This site has info about it...

http://www.r-bonomi.com/rec.woodworking/index.html

and I would suggest anyone interested also has a read through the various
FAQs that are posted in rec.woodworking by David F Eisan, the one
particularly of interest is posted regularly and is called "how to filter
out the crap" or something like that.

I would highly recommend this utility.

Of course, I'm feeling a little guilty here 'cos I cross-posted a genuine
question to uk.rec.gardening a while ago, and watched in amazement at the
various twisty paths that the ensuing ridiculous flame war went down....
I'll know better next time.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Stuart Millington

On 19 Jan 2004 16:12:21 -0800, (mike) wrote:

While we wait for the EU to realise the wisdom of euthanasing these
morons for the good of the species, can anyone recommened a decent
newsgroup reader for Mac OS X that will filter out the chaff and get
back to the real business of Andy/IMM ding-dongs about cheap power
tools and land reform?

SLRN is available for Mac OS X (and is excellent IMO):

http://ebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu/~aiyar/slrn.html
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
begin OE is broken read MS knowledgebase Q265230

Elessar

A really useful newsreader feature would be "ignore any item crossposted to
n or more newsgroups". n=3 or 4 would be about right.

--
Laurie R

RichardS

"Elessar" wrote in message
A really useful newsreader feature would be "ignore any item crossposted

n or more newsgroups". n=3 or 4 would be about right.

--
Laurie R

see my post on newsproxy.

filter rule of

* drop xref:*:*:*:*

does the trick. ie drop if xposted to = 4 groups.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
(John Byre) writes:
(mike) wrote in message . com...
Been reading UK.D-I-Y at Google Groups for the last couple of years.

Thanks to the antics of the idiot cross-posters who appeared just
before Christmas, it's now virtually unuseable.

While we wait for the EU to realise the wisdom of euthanasing these
morons for the good of the species, can anyone recommened a decent
newsgroup reader for Mac OS X that will filter out the chaff and get
back to the real business of Andy/IMM ding-dongs about cheap power
tools and land reform?

MT-Newswatcher then create two filters:
Filters Create Filter for..(uk.d-i-y) Matching & Action

and select "kill" if "Path" contains "news.alt.net"

A few weeks ago, I noticed one of my transit peers had started
refusing to relay such articles. Examination of articles in my
newsspool from "news.alt.net" showed excessively long path which
made me wonder if there are a lot of transit servers blocking
"news.alt.net", forcing articles to take long paths around the
blockages. Path lengths for "news.alt.net" seem to be shorter
now, but the block I'm aware of is still in place.

then do it again but with

"kill" if "Path" contains "news.ambyte.co.uk"

Hadn't noticed that one, but "peernews.infracons.co.uk" looked
like another noise source.

I haven't seen any official discussion, but it would appear that
some of the transit servers have decided to stop relaying articles
from leaf nodes which are mostly just noise sources.

--
Andrew Gabriel
David Micklem

In article ,
(Steve Firth) wrote:

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote:

see my post on newsproxy.

filter rule of

* drop xref:*:*:*:*

does the trick. ie drop if xposted to = 4 groups.

Only if your local server takes those groups already. It would be better
to kill on Newsgroups: rather than Xref:

In MacSOUP it is:

Kill on regexp "Newsgroups:.*,.*,.*," for example.

To kill anything posted to = 4 groups.

Another useful feature in MacSOUP is Autokill, hence:

Autokill if Newsgroups contains "alt"
Autokill if From contains "

are useful entries since they kill not only the original post (anything
cross-posted to alt.* and anything posted by IMM) but also any followup
posts. This is extremely effective at rescuing uk.d-i-y from being the
wasteland that it was to being a useful newsgroup.

Wasteland? Still 100's of on topic posts a day... but I have been
filtering out the carp so I guess I don't know what I've been missing!

I'd put in a vote for the Newswatcher family of readers (eg
YA-Newswatcher or MT-Newswatcher). I'm still using OS9 (and
YA-Newswatcher) but I know that at least the MT version is OS X now,
and YA may be too. Any proper Newsreader should be infinitely
preferable to using Google Groups IMO.

Not used MacSOUP, so I can't do a comparison.

DAvid

--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee

Andrew Gabriel

In article 0,
mike ring writes:
This post made me curious - during the troubles I wanted to do something
about crossposts, but I couldn't work out how in Xnews, and anyhow it has
an excellent one-press killfiler.

So I never did filter cross-posting, but I haven't seen any more than the
usual rough trade for weeks, and I kind of like to watch that.

So is btinternet missing half the posts, I know the server is somewhat
flaky by all the references to posts I never saw, though sometimes they
turn up a few weeks later, my guess is that that BT retrained posties for
IT.

The rubbish is certainly being carried by BT's transit peers
(I have two peering connections with them). It might be that
BT clean it off their normal customer facing servers -- I've
never used those.

Theo other thing is what are you lot on?

I've been getting over 300 posts a day for ages?

uk.d-i-y with 30 day expirey currently has 10923 in my newspool
after cancels. That's 364 articles/day plus whatever is cancelled
(which I can't easily work out by newgroup, and would vary widely
from one newsserver to another in any case).

--
Andrew Gabriel
David Micklem

In article 0, mike
ring wrote:

David Micklem wrote in news:200120041315541503%
:

Wasteland? Still 100's of on topic posts a day... but I have been
filtering out the carp so I guess I don't know what I've been missing!

This post made me curious - during the troubles I wanted to do something
about crossposts, but I couldn't work out how in Xnews, and anyhow it has
an excellent one-press killfiler.

So I never did filter cross-posting, but I haven't seen any more than the
usual rough trade for weeks, and I kind of like to watch that.

No idea how bad it is now - but it was annoying enough around Xmas for
me to bother setting up a filter. Dumping multiply (=5) cross-posted
messages made them all instantly disappear.

So is btinternet missing half the posts, I know the server is somewhat
flaky by all the references to posts I never saw, though sometimes they
turn up a few weeks later, my guess is that that BT retrained posties for
IT.

Theo other thing is what are you lot on?

ntl

I've been getting over 300 posts a day for ages?

Yes, that sounds about right

mike r

On the earlier question of what newsreader to use on a Mac, the
following page seems to have a fairly comprehensive list, with download
links and reviews...

http://www.macorchard.com/usenet.html

Both MacSoup and YA/MT-NewsWatcher are highly praised - MacSOUP
especially if you want/need to read offline.

David

--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee
Kas

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:34:42 +0000 (UTC), Woodspoiler
blinded us with this immortal piece of ..er
not sure really..:

In article ,
says...
A really useful newsreader feature would be "ignore any item crossposted to
n or more newsgroups". n=3 or 4 would be about right.

I've just started trialling a free newsreader called Gravity (it's for
Windows). It does that very easily and thereby kills the troublesome
messages. There are so many configuration options that I'll be fiddling
for while yet before deciding whether to stick with it, but haven't run
up against any serious problems so far. Got mine from
http://www.k7v.com/nonags/newsr.html
W.

Hi there
use Free Agent or Agent and you can filter out either persons or
groups or both. Works a treat.
Andrew

In article , Woodspoiler
writes
In article ,
says...
A really useful newsreader feature would be "ignore any item crossposted to
n or more newsgroups". n=3 or 4 would be about right.

I've just started trialling a free newsreader called Gravity (it's for
Windows). It does that very easily and thereby kills the troublesome
messages. There are so many configuration options that I'll be fiddling
for while yet before deciding whether to stick with it, but haven't run
up against any serious problems so far. Got mine from
http://www.k7v.com/nonags/newsr.html
W.

Turnpike 5.01 suits me fine
--
Andrew
Harvey Van Sickle

On 20 Jan 2004, Elessar wrote

Xnews has precisely this feature -- http://Xnews.newsguy.com.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
Harvey Van Sickle

On 26 Jan 2004, John Stumbles wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

On 20 Jan 2004, Elessar wrote

A really useful newsreader feature would be "ignore any item
crossposted to n or more newsgroups". n=3 or 4 would be about
right.

Xnews has precisely this feature -- http://Xnews.newsguy.com.

Can it be set to ignore the rest of a thread where more than say
60% of the articles are by Andy Hall and IMM? ;-)

Actually, it probably can -- but I wouldn't know how to score it,
myself.

(A couple of years and a couple of re-installs ago, someone came up
with a scoring entry for me that killed things if poster "A" was being
responded to by poster "B", or vice versa. Both posters were worth
reading -- as long as they weren't in the same thread.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
PoP

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:22:31 -0800, John Stumbles
wrote:

Can it be set to ignore the rest of a thread where more than say 60% of
the articles are by Andy Hall and IMM? ;-)

Now what's the point of taking a newsfeed when you know that over 50%
of the posts on that newsfeed are going to be marked as "ignore"?

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:22:31 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

On 20 Jan 2004, Elessar wrote

A really useful newsreader feature would be "ignore any item
crossposted to n or more newsgroups". n=3 or 4 would be about
right.

Xnews has precisely this feature -- http://Xnews.newsguy.com.

Can it be set to ignore the rest of a thread where more than say 60% of
the articles are by Andy Hall and IMM? ;-)

I've switched on filtering of all cross-posted articles with 5 or more groups this is
currently removing 14% of the newgroup traffic.

I find that with ABABABA ding-dong threads I just read the non-AB posts
which will tell me where thread has got to (if anywhere).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

PoP

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:38:31 +0000, "Ed Sirett"
wrote:

I've switched on filtering of all cross-posted articles with 5 or more groups this is
currently removing 14% of the newgroup traffic.

Sorry to ask a really dumb question - but does this imply that this
newsgroup is under control of a moderator?

I'm real happy if it is! It's just that I thought it was like all the
other newsgroups, and a free-for-all.

In uk.d-i-y, PoP wrote:

I've switched on filtering of all cross-posted articles with 5 or more groups this is
currently removing 14% of the newgroup traffic.

Sorry to ask a really dumb question - but does this imply that this
newsgroup is under control of a moderator?

No, not a bit. Remember the Internet's 'edge principle'? Dumn packet-shifting
in the middle, intelligence at the edges. The idea extends to Usenet: *you*,
with *your* *own* news client, are in ultimate charge of filtering. All the
filtering rules to create a more pleasant reading experience for themselves.

HTH - Stefek

Ed Sirett

wrote:

I've switched on filtering of all cross-posted articles with 5 or more groups this is
currently removing 14% of the newgroup traffic.

I meant that I have reduced the traffic of news group articles on my
computer by 14%.

Sorry to ask a really dumb question - but does this imply that this
newsgroup is under control of a moderator?

I'm real happy if it is! It's just that I thought it was like all the
other newsgroups, and a free-for-all.

No. I'd also run and dissappear if it had especially if I were the
moderator!

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk