David Micklem

Default The Good Old Days of UK.D-I-Y

In article ,
(Steve Firth) wrote:

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote:

see my post on newsproxy.

filter rule of

* drop xref:*:*:*:*

does the trick. ie drop if xposted to = 4 groups.

Only if your local server takes those groups already. It would be better
to kill on Newsgroups: rather than Xref:

In MacSOUP it is:

Kill on regexp "Newsgroups:.*,.*,.*," for example.

To kill anything posted to = 4 groups.

Another useful feature in MacSOUP is Autokill, hence:

Autokill if Newsgroups contains "alt"
Autokill if From contains "

are useful entries since they kill not only the original post (anything
cross-posted to alt.* and anything posted by IMM) but also any followup
posts. This is extremely effective at rescuing uk.d-i-y from being the
wasteland that it was to being a useful newsgroup.

Wasteland? Still 100's of on topic posts a day... but I have been
filtering out the carp so I guess I don't know what I've been missing!

I'd put in a vote for the Newswatcher family of readers (eg
YA-Newswatcher or MT-Newswatcher). I'm still using OS9 (and
YA-Newswatcher) but I know that at least the MT version is OS X now,
and YA may be too. Any proper Newsreader should be infinitely
preferable to using Google Groups IMO.

Not used MacSOUP, so I can't do a comparison.

DAvid

--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee