Richard

Default Crap soundproofing in new house (recourse to law ?)

We have just moved into a brand new house (Bloor Homes) and I'm shocked at
the poor level of soundproofing between our lounge and the neighbours
kitchen. I can clearly hear them speaking and if there was no TV on in our
lounge I would actually be able to hear what they were saying. I did find a
6inch x 2inch hole in the plasterboard, hiding behind the fake fireplace
they put in but I'm not sure how much difference filling that up will make.

Before I phone them up to complain, does anyone here know whether house
builders have to ensure at least a reasonable level of soundproofing between
houses by law ?? After all, I could easily prove that my wife & I would be
unable to have a "private" conversation in that room and surely we can all
expect privacy in our own home. Any thoughts ??

P.S It's end-terraced in a row of 3 houses but our house is bigger than the
other coming out further at the front & the back .... it's also on Duchy of
Cornwall land so has many restrictions on it

Toby

Richard wrote:
Before I phone them up to complain, does anyone here know whether
house builders have to ensure at least a reasonable level of
soundproofing between houses by law ?? After all, I could easily
prove that my wife & I would be unable to have a "private"
conversation in that room and surely we can all expect privacy in our
own home. Any thoughts ??

The Approved Documents which form the basis for the building regulations are
your friend. Sound insulation requirements are covered in Part E of Schedule
1 from:
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...hcst?n=259&l=3

--
Toby.

Richard

Hello Toby,

Thanks for such a quick response.

Schedule 1 of the link deals with the testing of the property with regard to
sound insulation - so I know now what test results to ask for should they
say that there's nothing wrong. But really I'm looking for figures or broad
definitions as to what a purchaser of a new house can "reasonably" expect
from a house builder as so much of "noise" is subjective.

To put it another way, once the builder has completed the tests referred to
in this PDF, what does he compare his results to ?? What is the minimum
standard required ?? (be it measured in decibels or whatever else).

Thanks,
Richard.

"Toby" wrote in message
Richard wrote:
Before I phone them up to complain, does anyone here know whether
house builders have to ensure at least a reasonable level of
soundproofing between houses by law ?? After all, I could easily
prove that my wife & I would be unable to have a "private"
conversation in that room and surely we can all expect privacy in our
own home. Any thoughts ??

The Approved Documents which form the basis for the building regulations

are
your friend. Sound insulation requirements are covered in Part E of

Schedule
1 from:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...contentservert
emplate/odpm_index.hcst?n=259&l=3

--
Toby.

Angela

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

You might want to cross post your question to uk.legal who may be
familiar with this issue as well.

All I know is that I have a brand new (timber framed) house and I
can't hear a peep out of next door. Whatever the building regs are
you shouldn't be able to hear what would be considered normal every
day sounds, so if you can hear talking then there is a problem. My
neighbour plays his music much louder than I do (I have been round
there and we can't talk over it so he has to turn it down) and I have
never heard his stereo, TV or anything. I can however *feel* it if
he slams his front door. Oh, and I should say...........I am not
deaf!!! )

Angela

P.S. contact the council building inspector about it sooner rather
than later as they wont touch it after 6 months.

Richard

All I know is that I have a brand new (timber framed) house and I
can't hear a peep out of next door. Whatever the building regs are
you shouldn't be able to hear what would be considered normal every
day sounds, so if you can hear talking then there is a problem.

Yes - a pretty big problem I think. Building Regs are what I need on my
side though regardless of whether the average person agrees with you & I as
to what is reasonable or not.

From a DIY point of view, the only real solution to this problem is another
layer of plasterboard on the terraced side of every adjoining room (and all
the upheaval hassle that will cause) ... correct ??

Sneezy

"Richard" wrote in
:

All I know is that I have a brand new (timber framed) house and I
can't hear a peep out of next door. Whatever the building regs are
you shouldn't be able to hear what would be considered normal every
day sounds, so if you can hear talking then there is a problem.

Yes - a pretty big problem I think. Building Regs are what I need on
my side though regardless of whether the average person agrees with
you & I as to what is reasonable or not.

From a DIY point of view, the only real solution to this problem is
another layer of plasterboard on the terraced side of every adjoining
room (and all the upheaval hassle that will cause) ... correct ??

I seem to remember reading something about soundproofing. I think it was in
yesterday's Times. Less than a £1000 for one wall I think it said. It
naturally recommended against DIY on the basis that the "professionals" use
better materials. Informative article.

john
Angela

"Richard" wrote in message
All I know is that I have a brand new (timber framed) house and I
can't hear a peep out of next door. Whatever the building regs

are
you shouldn't be able to hear what would be considered normal

every
day sounds, so if you can hear talking then there is a problem.

Yes - a pretty big problem I think. Building Regs are what I need

on my
side though regardless of whether the average person agrees with

you & I as
to what is reasonable or not.

From a DIY point of view, the only real solution to this problem is

another
layer of plasterboard on the terraced side of every adjoining room

(and all
the upheaval hassle that will cause) ... correct ??

I don't think would be anywhere near sufficient. They have probably
just forgot to put in the sound proofing material between the walls,
particularly as it is only one room that is a problem. It should be
a matter of taking down the plasterboard, putting in what is missing,
re-doing the plasterboard and redecorating. It will be a great
inconvenience to you though!

Get in touch with the building inspector, in my experience as long as
you don't want to complain about him, he will help you.

Angela

N. Thornton

Sneezy wrote in message . 222.40...
I seem to remember reading something about soundproofing. I think it was in

Look up how the BBC do it.

Regards, NT
dg

Yes it should be built to the relevant NHBC standard and the relevant
approved document (or similar)

However sound proofing is a subjective area.

If a person has sensitive hearing (or just notices sounds more acutely) and
lives next to a family who talk loudly or in a certain way, and have rooms
with no carpets and lots of bare [sound reflective] surfaces, then that
person is more likely to hear sounds from the neighbour. But this will not
automatically mean that there is a structural fault.

But there could be design or construct issues that are allowing more sound
through than is acceptable.

You first port of call is to get the builder and local building control to
confirm that the properties were built to spec.

But you should also speak to the neighbour to see if they have the same
complaint. If not, you may be stumped

Have a look at www.inspectorhome.co.uk for advice about new home
inspections.

dg

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Dave Plowman

In article ,
derek wrote:
Look up how the BBC do it.

In my experience they don't. It's easier and more effective to stop
unwanted sound being created in the first place. Hence the
proliferation of SILENCE notices and red lights outside studios.

So you stop the traffic and the planes?

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Hugo Nebula

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:33:02 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named
"Richard" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Oopps - just found Schedule 0 which does give db figures ... any further
thoughts are welcome though.

This is a new version of the Sound Insulation requirements which only
came into force in July last year, and it's almost certain (unless the
builders worked at breakneck speed) that the old one will apply. The
old requirements only gave a number of 'deemed to satisfy' standard
details, which if the builder worked to, would comply. The only
recourse you have is to show that the construction doesn't meet the
details, which would probably involve removing the plasterboard and
some blockwork!

Even under the new Part E, the requirement for testing of new build
housing hasn't been implimented.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this
derek

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:16:03 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
derek wrote:
Look up how the BBC do it.

In my experience they don't. It's easier and more effective to stop
unwanted sound being created in the first place. Hence the
proliferation of SILENCE notices and red lights outside studios.

So you stop the traffic and the planes?

I can't recall much of a problem with either over a couple of decades
of "Last Night of the Proms", or any sound OB's for that matter. But I
suppose these factors must influence the choice of places where
studios are built. Good micophones in the right place are the essence
of good sound.

The point I wanted to make is that "The BBC" doesn't have a solution
to extraneous noise nuisance that can be readily cut/pasted into a
situation of a noise problem in a flimsy new domestic house.

DG
Dave Plowman

In article ,
derek wrote:
In my experience they don't. It's easier and more effective to stop
unwanted sound being created in the first place. Hence the
proliferation of SILENCE notices and red lights outside studios.

So you stop the traffic and the planes?

I can't recall much of a problem with either over a couple of decades
of "Last Night of the Proms", or any sound OB's for that matter. But I
suppose these factors must influence the choice of places where
studios are built. Good micophones in the right place are the essence
of good sound.

Well, those aren't studios, and a concert hall should be built with the
purpose of keeping both extraneous noise out and the noise from it in.

The point I wanted to make is that "The BBC" doesn't have a solution
to extraneous noise nuisance that can be readily cut/pasted into a
situation of a noise problem in a flimsy new domestic house.

They have/had the solution for how to build a 'quiet' studio, although
they seem to have forgotten how given the White City news complex.

But the rules of sound proofing don't change, which is what I'd guess
what NT meant. There is no magic paint or wallpaper that will help.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Mike Mitchell

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:47:51 -0000, "Richard" wrote:

We have just moved into a brand new house (Bloor Homes) and I'm shocked at
the poor level of soundproofing between our lounge and the neighbours
kitchen.

Sounds (!) like another new homes builder to steer well clear of. On
my list currently is Wilson Connolly, Persimmon, and now Bloor Homes.
Any more?

MM
Martin Angove

In message ,
"Richard" wrote:

it's also on Duchy of
Cornwall land so has many restrictions on it

Given the well-reported views on architechture and community of the
Royal in question, I'd be tempted to have a last-resort plan to bring
the problem to his attention... could be a useful tool with which to
threaten those who should sort your problem out :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/