Richard

Default Crap soundproofing in new house (recourse to law ?)

Hello Toby,

Thanks for such a quick response.

Schedule 1 of the link deals with the testing of the property with regard to
sound insulation - so I know now what test results to ask for should they
say that there's nothing wrong. But really I'm looking for figures or broad
definitions as to what a purchaser of a new house can "reasonably" expect
from a house builder as so much of "noise" is subjective.

To put it another way, once the builder has completed the tests referred to
in this PDF, what does he compare his results to ?? What is the minimum
standard required ?? (be it measured in decibels or whatever else).

Thanks,
Richard.

"Toby" wrote in message
Richard wrote:
Before I phone them up to complain, does anyone here know whether
house builders have to ensure at least a reasonable level of
soundproofing between houses by law ?? After all, I could easily
prove that my wife & I would be unable to have a "private"
conversation in that room and surely we can all expect privacy in our
own home. Any thoughts ??

The Approved Documents which form the basis for the building regulations

are
your friend. Sound insulation requirements are covered in Part E of

Schedule
1 from:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...contentservert
emplate/odpm_index.hcst?n=259&l=3