Angela

Default Crap soundproofing in new house (recourse to law ?)

"Richard" wrote in message
All I know is that I have a brand new (timber framed) house and I
can't hear a peep out of next door. Whatever the building regs

are
you shouldn't be able to hear what would be considered normal

every
day sounds, so if you can hear talking then there is a problem.

Yes - a pretty big problem I think. Building Regs are what I need

on my
side though regardless of whether the average person agrees with

you & I as
to what is reasonable or not.

From a DIY point of view, the only real solution to this problem is

another
layer of plasterboard on the terraced side of every adjoining room

(and all
the upheaval hassle that will cause) ... correct ??

I don't think would be anywhere near sufficient. They have probably
just forgot to put in the sound proofing material between the walls,
particularly as it is only one room that is a problem. It should be
a matter of taking down the plasterboard, putting in what is missing,
re-doing the plasterboard and redecorating. It will be a great
inconvenience to you though!

Get in touch with the building inspector, in my experience as long as
you don't want to complain about him, he will help you.

Angela