dg

Default Crap soundproofing in new house (recourse to law ?)

Yes it should be built to the relevant NHBC standard and the relevant
approved document (or similar)

However sound proofing is a subjective area.

If a person has sensitive hearing (or just notices sounds more acutely) and
lives next to a family who talk loudly or in a certain way, and have rooms
with no carpets and lots of bare [sound reflective] surfaces, then that
person is more likely to hear sounds from the neighbour. But this will not
automatically mean that there is a structural fault.

But there could be design or construct issues that are allowing more sound
through than is acceptable.

You first port of call is to get the builder and local building control to
confirm that the properties were built to spec.

But you should also speak to the neighbour to see if they have the same
complaint. If not, you may be stumped

Have a look at www.inspectorhome.co.uk for advice about new home
inspections.

dg

"Richard" wrote in message
We have just moved into a brand new house (Bloor Homes) and I'm shocked at
the poor level of soundproofing between our lounge and the neighbours
kitchen. I can clearly hear them speaking and if there was no TV on in

our
lounge I would actually be able to hear what they were saying. I did find

6inch x 2inch hole in the plasterboard, hiding behind the fake fireplace
they put in but I'm not sure how much difference filling that up will

make.

Before I phone them up to complain, does anyone here know whether house
builders have to ensure at least a reasonable level of soundproofing

between
houses by law ?? After all, I could easily prove that my wife & I would

be
unable to have a "private" conversation in that room and surely we can all
expect privacy in our own home. Any thoughts ??

P.S It's end-terraced in a row of 3 houses but our house is bigger than

the
other coming out further at the front & the back .... it's also on Duchy

of
Cornwall land so has many restrictions on it