Angela

Default Crap soundproofing in new house (recourse to law ?)

"Richard" wrote in message
We have just moved into a brand new house (Bloor Homes) and I'm

shocked at
the poor level of soundproofing between our lounge and the

neighbours
kitchen. I can clearly hear them speaking and if there was no TV

on in our
lounge I would actually be able to hear what they were saying. I

did find a
6inch x 2inch hole in the plasterboard, hiding behind the fake

fireplace
they put in but I'm not sure how much difference filling that up

will make.

Before I phone them up to complain, does anyone here know whether

house
builders have to ensure at least a reasonable level of

soundproofing between
houses by law ?? After all, I could easily prove that my wife & I

would be
unable to have a "private" conversation in that room and surely we

can all
expect privacy in our own home. Any thoughts ??

P.S It's end-terraced in a row of 3 houses but our house is bigger

than the
other coming out further at the front & the back .... it's also on

Duchy of
Cornwall land so has many restrictions on it

You might want to cross post your question to uk.legal who may be
familiar with this issue as well.

All I know is that I have a brand new (timber framed) house and I
can't hear a peep out of next door. Whatever the building regs are
you shouldn't be able to hear what would be considered normal every
day sounds, so if you can hear talking then there is a problem. My
neighbour plays his music much louder than I do (I have been round
there and we can't talk over it so he has to turn it down) and I have
never heard his stereo, TV or anything. I can however *feel* it if
he slams his front door. Oh, and I should say...........I am not
deaf!!! )

Angela

P.S. contact the council building inspector about it sooner rather
than later as they wont touch it after 6 months.