Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Richard

Default Crap soundproofing in new house (recourse to law ?)

We have just moved into a brand new house (Bloor Homes) and I'm shocked at
the poor level of soundproofing between our lounge and the neighbours
kitchen. I can clearly hear them speaking and if there was no TV on in our
lounge I would actually be able to hear what they were saying. I did find a
6inch x 2inch hole in the plasterboard, hiding behind the fake fireplace
they put in but I'm not sure how much difference filling that up will make.

Before I phone them up to complain, does anyone here know whether house
builders have to ensure at least a reasonable level of soundproofing between
houses by law ?? After all, I could easily prove that my wife & I would be
unable to have a "private" conversation in that room and surely we can all
expect privacy in our own home. Any thoughts ??

P.S It's end-terraced in a row of 3 houses but our house is bigger than the
other coming out further at the front & the back .... it's also on Duchy of
Cornwall land so has many restrictions on it