Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Meter put indoors?!

I just visited someone's house which was built a year or so ago on a new estate. Her meter is inside the house! My house was built in 1979, and even it has an outdoor meter box. What's more, her meter wasn't even digital?

--
What has got two legs and bleeds?
Half a dog!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote:
I just visited someone's house which was built a year or so ago on a new
estate. Her meter is inside the house! My house was built in 1979, and
even it has an outdoor meter box. What's more, her meter wasn't even digital?

I think most meters are 'inside' nowadays aren't they? It's the
exception for them to be outside.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 20:50:31 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:
I just visited someone's house which was built a year or so ago on a new
estate. Her meter is inside the house! My house was built in 1979, and
even it has an outdoor meter box. What's more, her meter wasn't even digital?

I think most meters are 'inside' nowadays aren't they? It's the
exception for them to be outside.

How stupid. Outdoor boxes were a great invention, the meter reader doesn't have to get the householder in. Also makes cutting off the power easy for the fire brigade.

I've seen outdoor GAS meters on new build houses, in very flimsy brown plastic boxes on the GROUND! Won't be long before someone stands on it, trips on it, or even drives onto it when they're on the drive.

--
There are more men than women in mental hospitals - which just goes to show who's driving who crazy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 8:31:29 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
I just visited someone's house which was built a year or so ago on a new estate. Her meter is inside the house! My house was built in 1979, and even it has an outdoor meter box. What's more, her meter wasn't even digital?

--
What has got two legs and bleeds?
Half a dog!

When smart meters are more common it won't matter where they are installed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote:
I just visited someone's house which was built a year or so ago on a
new estate. Her meter is inside the house! My house was built in
1979, and
even it has an outdoor meter box. What's more, her meter wasn't even
digital?

I think most meters are 'inside' nowadays aren't they? It's the
exception for them to be outside.

You have replied to a very well known troll: - Peter Hucker:
Aka:
James Wilkinson:
Mr Macaw:
Uncle Peter:
Phucker:
Tough Guy:
Etc, etc, etc.

This little ******, a 41 year old failure noticed this meter box whilst he
was delivering his pikey Betterware catalogues. Yup, that is what he does as
well as signing on the dole and getting money from his father. As well as
claiming tax credits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 21:50:04 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Says Pounder while trolling.

--
You have reached the CPX-2000 Voice Blackmail System. Your voice patterns are now being digitally encoded and stored for later use. Once this is done, our computers will be able to use the sound of YOUR voice for literally thousands of illegal and immoral purposes. There is no charge for this initial consultation. However our staff of professional extortionists will contact you in the near future to further explain the benefits of our service, and to arrange for your schedule of payment. Remember to speak clearly at the sound of the tone. Thank you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The property was maybe turned into flats at some time and hence meters were
put inside.

Mine is inside but the house is very old. I did ask if they might put it
outside when they put a new one in some time back, but they said come the
smart meters, it can be read remotely anyway.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
I just visited someone's house which was built a year or so ago on a new
estate. Her meter is inside the house! My house was built in 1979, and
even it has an outdoor meter box. What's more, her meter wasn't even
digital?

--
What has got two legs and bleeds?
Half a dog!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Have you used any of those names Mr Pounder mentions?

He's used all of them. I can't decide who is the biggest dickhead, him or
Wodney.
Usually, PHucker starts a stupid thread then Wodney shows him the real way
to troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message

wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Well he fooled me.

Mr Pounder seemed generally okay asking for help how to fix up his
telly and aerial.

OTOH James Wilkinson writes a bit more like a teenager offering
wisdom like "Rules are for the obedience of fools".

PHucker usually posts some unimportant garbage with a hint of a question.
When any helpful souls proffer advice he attempts to shoot them down in
flames.
All pretty pointless, as is he.
Wodney (although being a dickhead with even more nyms) has the measure of
him.
PHucker has a "degree" you know -
http://s556.photobucket.com/user/bra...egree.jpg.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2016 08:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
The property was maybe turned into flats at some time and hence meters were
put inside.

Mine is inside but the house is very old. I did ask if they might put it
outside when they put a new one in some time back, but they said come the
smart meters, it can be read remotely anyway.
Brian

I paid good money to have my electric meter moved outside. I certainly
did not want the meter reader coming into my house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"pamela" wrote in message

wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

A pity he cannot take tips off Rod Hull for that one.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Broadback" wrote in message
On 10/09/2016 08:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
The property was maybe turned into flats at some time and hence meters
were
put inside.

Mine is inside but the house is very old. I did ask if they might put it
outside when they put a new one in some time back, but they said come the
smart meters, it can be read remotely anyway.
Brian

I paid good money to have my electric meter moved outside. I certainly did
not want the meter reader coming into my house.

Most newbuild houses have the meters in an external meter cabinet.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"pamela" wrote in message

wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

That's 17 years back, blimey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

Mr Pounder seemed generally okay asking for help how to fix up his
telly and aerial.

A pity he cannot take tips off Rod Hull for that one.

That's 17 years back, blimey.

It saved Operation Yewtree a few quid on their investigations.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 14:48:33 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"bm" wrote in message
aweb.com...

Mr Pounder seemed generally okay asking for help how to fix up his
telly and aerial.

A pity he cannot take tips off Rod Hull for that one.

That's 17 years back, blimey.

It saved Operation Yewtree a few quid on their investigations.

'Cos that Harry Corbett is a dirty old creep
He's got one hand up Sooty and the other up Sweep.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 12:53:27 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
On 10/09/2016 08:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
The property was maybe turned into flats at some time and hence meters
were
put inside.

Mine is inside but the house is very old. I did ask if they might put it
outside when they put a new one in some time back, but they said come the
smart meters, it can be read remotely anyway.
Brian

I paid good money to have my electric meter moved outside. I certainly did
not want the meter reader coming into my house.

Most newbuild houses have the meters in an external meter cabinet.

I had mine moved outside when I had my cloakroom converted to a loo.
It was worth the money just to watch the guys cut and splice the PILC
"coax" live.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
On 10/09/2016 08:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
The property was maybe turned into flats at some time and hence meters
were put inside.

Mine is inside but the house is very old. I did ask if they might put
it outside when they put a new one in some time back, but they said
come the smart meters, it can be read remotely anyway. Brian

I paid good money to have my electric meter moved outside. I certainly
did not want the meter reader coming into my house.

Most newbuild houses have the meters in an external meter cabinet.

That's because the houses are so small there isn't room for meters indoors.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
On 10/09/2016 08:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
The property was maybe turned into flats at some time and hence meters
were put inside.

Mine is inside but the house is very old. I did ask if they might put
it outside when they put a new one in some time back, but they said
come the smart meters, it can be read remotely anyway. Brian

I paid good money to have my electric meter moved outside. I certainly
did not want the meter reader coming into my house.

But then you've got to go outside to read it yourself. In the cold and
rain. Before submitting it online.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 16:14:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
On 10/09/2016 08:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
The property was maybe turned into flats at some time and hence meters
were put inside.

Mine is inside but the house is very old. I did ask if they might put
it outside when they put a new one in some time back, but they said
come the smart meters, it can be read remotely anyway. Brian

I paid good money to have my electric meter moved outside. I certainly
did not want the meter reader coming into my house.

But then you've got to go outside to read it yourself. In the cold and
rain. Before submitting it online.

And presumably gas meter readers are drawn from an entirely different
socio-economic group.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

All of them, which proves nothing, I just got bored of the others.

--
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No, the house hasn't been there long and they are the only owners. It has never been modified.

Where I used to live, my neighbour had a meter (and fusebox!) fitted outside, after the originals set fire to his entire roof. If only he'd listened to me when I said the bracket holding the incoming wire was loose....

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 08:47:42 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

The property was maybe turned into flats at some time and hence meters were
put inside.

Mine is inside but the house is very old. I did ask if they might put it
outside when they put a new one in some time back, but they said come the
smart meters, it can be read remotely anyway.
Brian

--
Seen in a health food sto
Shoplifters will be beaten over the head with an organic carrot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

A pity he cannot take tips off Rod Hull for that one.

I had to climb up on the roof to fix the tv aerial a couple weeks ago.
So-called mate at ground level shouting "Remember Rod Hull!" as I
wobbled precariously on the ridge tiles. Git.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Yep, all of them, and more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

And you use random letters. I have never changed names to evade a killfile, you do it all the time.

--
Eskimoes only have 4 words for snow, but 32 words for demonstrative pronouns (we only have this/that/these/those).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 20:31:19 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

I just visited someone's house which was built a year or so ago on a new
estate. Her meter is inside the house!

Not ENW area then. Reading their requirements for the location of
cutout/meter they are supposed to be in a box on the front of the
property with access not obstructed by a gate.

Meters and tails to the cutout are the responsiblity of the company
you pay for electricity. The incomer, cutout and MET that of the DNO.
I guess on a newbuild the DNO fits a meter when they provide the
supply. If they didn't the first occupier would have to wait for
their choosen supplier to get around to fitting a meter. Of course
the DNO will fit the cheapest they can get...

Mechanical meters should be changed every ten years, the old ones
(used to?) go back, be refurbished, recertified and given a new
number. The two digits between the two letters at the start of the
number are the year of certification, we have 67, 80 and 96. So much
for the 10 year replacement cycle...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...

I guess on a newbuild the DNO fits a meter when they provide the
supply. If they didn't the first occupier would have to wait for
their choosen supplier to get around to fitting a meter. Of course
the DNO will fit the cheapest they can get...

Not IMHO. The DNO supply an electrical cut out and a double pole isolator.
The supplier connects/organizes the connection of the meter to the cutout
and the double pole isolator, the electrician then connects the CU tails to
the DP isolator.

A couple of years ago I wired up some newbuilds in a conservation area -
part of the PP requirement was that the electricity meters must NOT be in an
external meter box but be internal meters. I was told that external meter
boxes would look out of place! Well you have just built 5 houses on the
place so WTF is the complaint about having an extenal meter cabinet?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 15:04:12 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 20:31:19 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

I just visited someone's house which was built a year or so ago on a new
estate. Her meter is inside the house!

Not ENW area then. Reading their requirements for the location of
cutout/meter they are supposed to be in a box on the front of the
property with access not obstructed by a gate.

But many people have gates to their driveways. I assume you mean LOCKED gate.

Meters and tails to the cutout are the responsiblity of the company
you pay for electricity. The incomer, cutout and MET that of the DNO.
I guess on a newbuild the DNO fits a meter when they provide the
supply. If they didn't the first occupier would have to wait for
their choosen supplier to get around to fitting a meter. Of course
the DNO will fit the cheapest they can get...

Mechanical meters should be changed every ten years, the old ones
(used to?) go back, be refurbished, recertified and given a new
number. The two digits between the two letters at the start of the
number are the year of certification, we have 67, 80 and 96. So much
for the 10 year replacement cycle...

Do they over or under read with age?

--
I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -- Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Are you changing names mainly to evade kill files?

No, as I said, "I just got bored of the others".

--
Caution: Always engage brain before operating mouth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2016 15:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Mechanical meters should be changed every ten years, the old ones
(used to?) go back, be refurbished, recertified and given a new
number. The two digits between the two letters at the start of the
number are the year of certification, we have 67, 80 and 96. So much
for the 10 year replacement cycle...

Nerdy point: the "10 year rule" is that when a *new design* of meter was
approved it could not be certified *initially* for more than (for
mechanical meters) 10 years. But monitoring how they work in use can
result in that period being increased. There's a list at
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tricity-meters

--
Robin

Any finishes to use indoors Paul[_20_] Woodworking 20 November 7th 11 12:37 AM
What wrong with camping indoors? [email protected] Home Repair 5 April 15th 09 02:29 AM
Electric meter: indoors or outside? Pros & cons? Jim UK diy 12 May 18th 07 09:41 PM
Sandblasting Indoors BP Metalworking 3 January 12th 04 05:25 PM
Sanding indoors Dave Woodworking 7 September 10th 03 04:05 AM