Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Any finishes to use indoors

As I live in a mobile home, no garage, I need a finish I can apply indoors.
The weather is getting to the point that it's not going to be possible to go
outside and spray lacquer or anything simliar. I don't want to fill the
house with noxious and dangerous fumes. It would be possible to close the
door to a spare room, open a window, and run a fan. Is there anything decent
that can be used in these circumstances? Normaly, I have just shut down
woodworking for the winter, but now I have customers for the small items I
make, and I need to keep going if possible.

--
Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

Water based products will be your best bet....

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...tive-finishes/

On 11/4/2011 10:12 AM, Paul wrote:
As I live in a mobile home, no garage, I need a finish I can apply
indoors. The weather is getting to the point that it's not going to be
possible to go outside and spray lacquer or anything simliar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 9:38*am, Pat Barber wrote:
Water based products will be your best bet....

*http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...tive-finishes/

Pat is right. But to amplify a bit, don't forget to use your fan
ventilation system. There is little safe about the water borne
finishes except that they are just **less** noxious than their solvent
based counterparts.

They off gas a lot of things that are really bad for you including
ammonia(s) and formaldehyde.

Put the fan in the window, crack the door behind you for a more
positive air flow, and finish away. Leave the fan on and the door
cracked for a couple of hours until the bulk of the gases are gone.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul
wrote in message
On Nov 4, 9:38 am, Pat Barber wrote:
Water based products will be your best bet....

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...tive-finishes/

Pat is right. But to amplify a bit, don't forget to use your fan
ventilation system. There is little safe about the water borne
finishes except that they are just **less** noxious than their solvent
based counterparts.

They off gas a lot of things that are really bad for you including
ammonia(s) and formaldehyde.

Put the fan in the window, crack the door behind you for a more
positive air flow, and finish away. Leave the fan on and the door
cracked for a couple of hours until the bulk of the gases are gone.

Robert

Thanks, these look good. Some time back I made a blanket chest, nite stands,
bookcase, and a cabinet for the living room, and used Rocklers Wundercoat. I
don't think they sell it anymore, and may have been just a rebranded Minwax
Poly anyway.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 10:12*am, "Paul" wrote:
As I live in a mobile home, no garage, I need a finish I can apply indoors.
The weather is getting to the point that it's not going to be possible to go
outside and spray lacquer or anything simliar. I don't want to fill the
house with noxious and dangerous fumes. It would be possible to close the
door to a spare room, open a window, and run a fan. Is there anything decent
that can be used in these circumstances? Normaly, I have just shut down
woodworking for the winter, but now I have customers for the small items I
make, and I need to keep going if possible.

A chairmaker who presented at the college I attended stated that his
finish (if I remember correctly) was simply lemon oil furniture polish
rubbed on, then wiped w/ a wet cloth, then repeated (not sure how many
times or even if he gave a number). Obviously done after raising the
grain and sanding that off. Never tried it, but have always meant to
--- has anyone else used this, or tried it or am I obviously mis-
remembering something?

William

Posted to rec.woodworking

.. Is there anything decent
that can be used in these circumstances? Normaly, I have just shut down
woodworking for the winter, but now I have customers for the small items I
make, and I need to keep going if possible.

--
Paul

If you don't have any open flame and can get a little ventilation you
can use Shellac. It uses alcohol so very flammable but it gases out in
5-10 minutes or less dry to the touch. Alcohol is a bit noxious but
you could just buy a good 3M respirator (they have them at home depot
now) with a gas filter and the room will clean in 10 minutes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 07:12:30 -0700, Paul wrote:

As I live in a mobile home, no garage, I need a finish I can apply
indoors. The weather is getting to the point that it's not going to be
possible to go outside and spray lacquer or anything simliar.

I'm in the same situation and have applied shellac indoors on many
occasions. Ventilation is always good, but I confess to not using it all
the time. The alcohol smell from the shellac goes away quickly.

But if you foolishly do a large project with no ventilation just
remember: Do not operate power tools while intoxicated :-).

Someone else suggested water based finishes. To me they smell worse than
shellac and I don't know what's in those fumes. Others will have other
opinions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 9:33*am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
. Is there anything decent

that can be used in these circumstances? Normaly, I have just shut down
woodworking for the winter, but now I have customers for the small items I
make, and I need to keep going if possible.

--
Paul

If you don't have any open flame and can get a little ventilation you
can use Shellac. It uses alcohol so very flammable but it gases out in
5-10 minutes or less dry to the touch. Alcohol is a bit noxious but
you could just buy a good 3M respirator (they *have them at home depot
now) with a gas filter and the room will clean in 10 minutes.

P.S. I haven't learned to use waterbased products myself but my early
experience with them was one of the nastiest smells ever and I decided
I didn't want to do finishing if I had to smell that crap. Maybe the
new stufff is better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 08:20:26 -0700 (PDT), "William F. Adams
)" wrote:

On Nov 4, 10:12*am, "Paul" wrote:
[...]

I'm positive that if you thought about it, you actually heard
"linseed", not "lemon". Lemon oil (scented mineral oil) doesn't build
at all, but it collects dust. Linseed oil, especially boiled, does.

I believe that the ancient formula for applying boiled linseed oil
was: once a day for a week, once a week for a month, and once a month
for a year. Quick finish, eh?

--
The unexamined life is not worth living.
--Socrates
Posted to rec.woodworking

Is there anything decent
that can be used in these circumstances? Normaly, I have just shut
down
woodworking for the winter, but now I have customers for the small
items I
make, and I need to keep going if possible.

Paul

--------------------------------------
Try to find a one car garage that you can heat when needed.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

)" wrote:
On Nov 4, 10:12 am, "Paul" wrote:
[...]

You're most certainly correct --- drat that uncertain organic memory.
Really appreciate your taking the time to set me straight.

William
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 12:33*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
. Is there anything decent

that can be used in these circumstances? Normaly, I have just shut down
woodworking for the winter, but now I have customers for the small items I
make, and I need to keep going if possible.

--
Paul

If you don't have any open flame and can get a little ventilation you
can use Shellac. It uses alcohol so very flammable but it gases out in
5-10 minutes or less dry to the touch. Alcohol is a bit noxious but
you could just buy a good 3M respirator (they *have them at home depot
now) with a gas filter and the room will clean in 10 minutes.

Also check the label on the denatured alcohol used to thin it. Some
include ketones which really, really stink. I stick with alcohol
that
is denatured only with methanol.

I did a small amount of shellacing indoors in the wintertime and when
the oil-burning furnace came on, the carbon monoxide detector in an
upstairs bedroom went off. It is designed to trip on either a high
value
or a high rate of rise -- so my guess is that it was the latter effect
that
did it. I suppose the surfaces in the heat exchanger were hot
enough
to decompose the alcohol as it passed through.

This problem persisted for about a day!

Just don't use the shellac anywhere near a pilot light.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

I'm in the same situation and have applied shellac indoors on many
occasions. Ventilation is always good, but I confess to not using it
all the time. The alcohol smell from the shellac goes away quickly.

But if you foolishly do a large project with no ventilation just
remember: Do not operate power tools while intoxicated :-).

Someone else suggested water based finishes. To me they smell worse
than shellac and I don't know what's in those fumes. Others will have
other opinions.

I've found I adjust to the smell of the alcohols in the shellac really
quickly, but if I go away for a few hours and come back again I can smell
it.

Lowes has an activated charcoal furnace filter for around $10. It helps
a little bit with finishing odors, but the best thing is to exhaust
outside.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul" wrote in message ...
As I live in a mobile home, no garage, I need a finish I can apply indoors.
The weather is getting to the point that it's not going to be possible to go
outside and spray lacquer or anything simliar. I don't want to fill the
house with noxious and dangerous fumes. It would be possible to close the
door to a spare room, open a window, and run a fan. Is there anything decent
that can be used in these circumstances? Normaly, I have just shut down
woodworking for the winter, but now I have customers for the small items I
make, and I need to keep going if possible.

--
Paul

Not mentioned yet is plain wax. It's not very durable but fits your environmental
needs to a T.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 13:31:12 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message ...
As I live in a mobile home, no garage, I need a finish I can apply indoors.
The weather is getting to the point that it's not going to be possible to go
outside and spray lacquer or anything simliar. I don't want to fill the
house with noxious and dangerous fumes. It would be possible to close the
door to a spare room, open a window, and run a fan. Is there anything decent
that can be used in these circumstances? Normaly, I have just shut down
woodworking for the winter, but now I have customers for the small items I
make, and I need to keep going if possible.

Not mentioned yet is plain wax. It's not very durable but fits your environmental
needs to a T.

Yeah, except it doesn't protect wood from moisture (no eating or
drinking on them) or alcohol (no drinks or beers on them), so in most
houses, they're unprotected. Nix the wax.

--
The unexamined life is not worth living.
--Socrates

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message ...
[...]

Unlike you I don't have a crystal ball telling me the OP needs protection
from alcohol or water for his projects. Wax will do just fine for xmas
ornaments, picture frames, toys, and many other *small items* the OP
could be making making.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

I like shellac.

As I live in a mobile home, no garage, I need a finish I can apply
indoors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul
"notImpressed" wrote in message
.250...
I like shellac.

As I live in a mobile home, no garage, I need a finish I can apply
indoors.

I bought some Rocklers shellac a while back, but haven't been able to use it
as it dries too darn fast, making it hard to apply.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul" wrote:
I bought some Rocklers shellac a while back, but haven't been able
to use it as it dries too darn fast, making it hard to apply.

---------------------------
Cut it with more denatured alcohol.

Try a 1# cut.

Directions are on can.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-11-04 16:39:06 +0000, SonomaProducts.com said:

I haven't learned to use waterbased products myself but my early
experience with them was one of the nastiest smells ever and I decided
I didn't want to do finishing if I had to smell that crap. Maybe the
new stufff is better.

General Finishes' water-based stains and finishes are damn-near odour
free. Lovely stuff.

Hight Gloss Finishes for on top of oil based finishes? That are easy to use redice Woodworking 18 June 8th 06 04:39 PM
venting dryer indoors Jackie Home Repair 28 February 15th 06 07:09 PM
insulating sheathing indoors? Home Repair 5 November 25th 05 07:18 PM
Sandblasting Indoors BP Metalworking 3 January 12th 04 05:25 PM
Sanding indoors Dave Woodworking 7 September 10th 03 04:05 AM