Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Meter put indoors?!

On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 20:31:19 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

I just visited someone's house which was built a year or so ago on a new
estate. Her meter is inside the house!

Not ENW area then. Reading their requirements for the location of
cutout/meter they are supposed to be in a box on the front of the
property with access not obstructed by a gate.

Meters and tails to the cutout are the responsiblity of the company
you pay for electricity. The incomer, cutout and MET that of the DNO.
I guess on a newbuild the DNO fits a meter when they provide the
supply. If they didn't the first occupier would have to wait for
their choosen supplier to get around to fitting a meter. Of course
the DNO will fit the cheapest they can get...

Mechanical meters should be changed every ten years, the old ones
(used to?) go back, be refurbished, recertified and given a new
number. The two digits between the two letters at the start of the
number are the year of certification, we have 67, 80 and 96. So much
for the 10 year replacement cycle...

--
Cheers
Dave.