Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY ear-unblocking

Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 13:48:01 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

After 8 days I'd be back at the Dr's.

Chewing chewing-gum may help to open up the passages.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

left me with fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is
proving remarkably reluctant to drain away. Any suggestions as to how
to get rid?

Puff out your cheeks hard to get as much air into your ears as possible,
then hold your nose and crank your jaw wide-open to open your eustachian
tube and hope the air forces the liquid out?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris writes:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

It happens to me after a cold is gone, occasionally.

With lips closed and nose pinched, use lungs to raise air pressure
in nose/mouth, until you hear your ears pop, which forces air into
the middle ear. It will escape with the fluid when you release the
pressure (and maybe swallow a few times). May need to repeat a few
times a day.

Note this also raises your blood pressure momentarily, so may not
be a good idea if you've had a stroke or very poor blood clotting.

BTW, unlikely to be pus unless you have raging ear-ache too. Most
likely to be nasal mucus, which gets up there when there's an excess
of it around.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You need to see a doctor

You might need a grommet inserting in the eardrum which will allow it to drain out.

I have some spare grommets which I used with metal back boxes when rewiring my house, but unless you have ears the size of an elephant I don't think they'd be suitable and so this is not a DIY job!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 12:47:59 +0000, Chris wrote:

Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

Try a nasal de-decongestant such as Beconase.

I know cos I had one prescribed a few weeks ago by Dr for a similar
problem - it will help clear a blocked Eustachian tube (leading from
inner ear to throat) and allow inner ear to drain.

Its highly unkiely to be pus as otehrwise you would have a raging earache.

Of course, you could always pop along to a pharmacist or a Dr if you
don't fancy the DIY approach ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Chris Wrote in message:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

The middle ear is filled with air, pressure within is equalised
with atmospheric via the eustachian tube.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 12:47:59 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:

Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

Jeye's Fluid or see your Doctor - take your pick.
I would not use WD40.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/16 13:47, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

See a doctor, practise nurse or pharmacist.

Don't be tempted to poke around. The general advice is you should only
go inside your ear as far as you can reach with your elbow.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Judith wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 12:47:59 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:

Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

Jeye's Fluid or see your Doctor - take your pick.
I would not use WD40.

Angle grinder?

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/16 17:07, Tim+ wrote:
Judith wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 12:47:59 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:

Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

Jeye's Fluid or see your Doctor - take your pick.
I would not use WD40.

Angle grinder?

Vitamin D tablets

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 16:07:02 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Judith wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 12:47:59 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:

Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

Jeye's Fluid or see your Doctor - take your pick.
I would not use WD40.

Angle grinder?

I was going to suggest an angle grinder but in this case I think a
simple trepanning with an electric drill ought to be sufficient.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 13:48:01 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otitis..._with_effusion
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2016 13:47, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

It may be blocked sinuses - try steam - breathing in from a bowl of hot
water with a towel over your head. Perhaps add spearmint or peppermint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/16 13:47, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

As someone who gets this often when I get a cold (but without full on
ear ache):

Don't force it by holding your nose and blowing - if it's reluctant, all
you'll do is blow air in which probably won't come out until it's ready
- leading to some discomfort.

Try dry swallowing with head at various angles and walk about a bit. It
will often encourage the tubes to open a little. You'll know because
you'll notice odd crackling/popping sounds.

If it's not clearing soon, I'd pop along to the doctor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 18:05:49 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Perhaps add spearmint or peppermint.

To taste? ;-)

Seriously, this is where small calibre handguns come into their own.
Procure a .22" live shot pistol and one round of ammunition. Remove the
lead bullet from the cartridge casing, discard, and pack *soft* tissue
paper into the cartridge casing so as to keep the propellant explosive in
place. Insert the modified round into the pistol, position the muzzle
tightly against the outer ear so as to form a gas-tight seal, and
discharge the weapon. That should instantly clear the obstruction.
*NOTE:* only use *soft* tissue paper as anything else (like that awful
Izal stuff) may risk damaging the eardrum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2016 17:20, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 04/09/16 17:07, Tim+ wrote:
Judith wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 12:47:59 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:

Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

Jeye's Fluid or see your Doctor - take your pick.
I would not use WD40.

Angle grinder?

Vitamin D tablets

Many people prefer vitamin D taken in capsules. Though not usually for
ear issues specifically...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 19:03:52 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Many people prefer vitamin D taken in capsules. Though not usually for
ear issues specifically...

Capsule - that might work. Try pushing it through the ear canal with the
end of a pencil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

On 04/09/2016 13:47, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

It may be blocked sinuses - try steam - breathing in from a bowl of hot
water with a towel over your head. Perhaps add spearmint or peppermint.

At the beginning of last year, I had mild flu' but serious sinus blocking.
My daughter in Australia suggested the traditional steaming bowl of boiled
water and the towel over the head. I remember my parents doing the same with
Beecham's powders.

I gave it a try, not realizing that this would open the capillaries in my
nose leading to an unstoppable nose-bleed and NHS Direct's urge to 'get him
to as hospital within the hour'.

I was lucky. The designated hospital was Watford General. Apparently it was
our nearest yet I had never been there before. They were magnificent. From
reception, through triage to examination and treatment, just Rolls Royce.
The lovely east European junior doctor took a swab and within an hour was
able to say 'well its not man-flu'!

Take care. You may not be as lucky as me.

Alan s

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2016 17:07, Tim+ wrote:
Angle grinder?

I thought this year the standard was a pressure washer?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 20:57:48 +0100, pinnerite wrote:

At the beginning of last year, I had mild flu' but serious sinus
blocking. My daughter in Australia suggested the traditional steaming
bowl of boiled water and the towel over the head. I remember my parents
doing the same with Beecham's powders.

Beecham's Powders? Vicks surely. That IIRC was the usual addition.
Camphor supposedly opens up your airways.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 14:34:49 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 4 September 2016 13:48:01 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

After 8 days I'd be back at the Dr's.

Chewing chewing-gum may help to open up the passages.

Quite.
It sounds like Otitis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 18:38:16 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

As someone who gets this often when I get a cold (but without full on
ear ache)

You might have a wheat allergy or be suffering too much carbohydrate ingestion AKA eating too much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default get it while you can

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 23:22:51 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 4 September 2016 18:38:16 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

As someone who gets this often when I get a cold (but without full on
ear ache)

You might have a wheat allergy or be suffering too much carbohydrate ingestion AKA eating too much.

Junior doctors could be struck off over industrial action, warns GMC

A shortage of doctors is prompting them to go on strike so what is the answer?
Sack the *******s there won't be anything for them to treat once all the foreigners follow japan out of the UK, May pledges.

Junior doctors say "Aaaaah!"!, prompting a change to the thread into one of accidental grammar. Situational prose is no place for idealised punctuation. But placing!"!, without brackets in a sentence is only a fault if the explanation is given without brackets. Highlighting my point?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2016 18:05, alan_m wrote:
On 04/09/2016 13:47, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

It may be blocked sinuses - try steam - breathing in from a bowl of hot
water with a towel over your head. Perhaps add spearmint or peppermint.

I've found codeine & paracetamol helped with blocked sinuses. The
codeine dries you up a bit which allows the pressure to b relieved (a
bit). But don't overdo it and stop them as soon as you can.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 13:48:01 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

Take a warm bath and lay back with your ears under water.
I've found this to help.

Unblocking a drain Clive UK diy 10 October 10th 07 06:15 PM
Unblocking Kitchen Sink [email protected] UK diy 10 November 10th 05 10:14 PM
Unblocking a toilet - any tips ? zjustice UK diy 25 July 4th 05 11:44 AM
Unblocking a toilet Homer2911 UK diy 17 June 12th 05 07:08 PM
Unblocking drains norm UK diy 7 November 30th 04 05:24 PM