Default Unblocking Kitchen Sink

There's a straight pipe which a glued-on 90 degree bend at the end
which attaches to a series of other u-bends which then attach to the
sink. The blockage is about half way along the straight piece.
I've tried thick cable to break up the blockage and coat hanger wire.
But haven't had much success. Not too easy to force it round the
initial bend.
I'm reluctant to push something stronger along the pipe in case I push
the blockage further down. I either want to break up the blockage or
pull it out.
I though about cutting the pipe, removing the blockage and then sealing
the pipe somehow. Not sure if it's a good idea though.
I'm really curious what the blockage could be to have settled in this
position. The thought of it being a dead rat gives me the willies!

TheScullster

wrote

I'm really curious what the blockage could be to have settled in this
position. The thought of it being a dead rat gives me the willies!

My wife once poured hot fat down the plug hole which solidified into a 6mm
thick disk within minutes.
Never seen a sink so effectively blocked so quickly!
Fortunately this had set on top of the trap liquid and just needed trap
removal to clear.

Phil

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
I'm really curious what the blockage could be to have settled in this
position. The thought of it being a dead rat gives me the willies!

Usual thing is animal fat from frying pans, etc. It flows ok with hot
water but then sets when it gets cold. And being a poor conductor of heat
doesn't respond to hot water on just one side of the blockage.

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
There's a straight pipe which a glued-on 90 degree bend at the end
which attaches to a series of other u-bends which then attach to the
sink. The blockage is about half way along the straight piece.
I've tried thick cable to break up the blockage and coat hanger wire.
But haven't had much success. Not too easy to force it round the
initial bend.
I'm reluctant to push something stronger along the pipe in case I push
the blockage further down. I either want to break up the blockage or
pull it out.
I though about cutting the pipe, removing the blockage and then sealing
the pipe somehow. Not sure if it's a good idea though.
I'm really curious what the blockage could be to have settled in this
position. The thought of it being a dead rat gives me the willies!

I wouldn't cut anything. Can't visualise your waste setup but unscrew
any joints that allow you to get closer to the blockage. They should
only be hand tight

Thanks for all the help!
I bought a springy, flexible drain unblocker and pushed it down inside
the straight pipe (after undoing the u-bends). I definatley felt some
resistance and it stank a lot. The sound of the water draining away
was like music to my ears.
I let the tap run for a moment and the water seemed to drain but then
it stopped so unfortunately the blockage was still there. I tried
caustic soda and it didn't do anything.

The problem is I have 3 drainage pipes which connect to a single outlet
leaving the flat- the kitchen sink (with the long blocked pipe), the
bath & washing machine all in different rooms.
Maybe waste from the washing machine has pushed it's way up into the
drain for the sink.
Sometimes when the washing machine rinses water floods into the bath so
I'm sure there could be fluff & stuff that's worked it's way up the
sink drain pipe.

I need to take off the bath panel and attack it from the bath end or
buy a longer flexible drain unblocker and go at it again from the
kitchen.

I've had ongoing problems with this flat in the 4 years I've lived
there. All because of make-shift quick fixes by previous owners!

Pete C

On 10 Nov 2005 00:00:58 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Hi,

This is how I usually do it:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/b771753988c02ef9/eced85fc3c7c843d?lnk=st&rnum=2#eced85fc3c7c843d

Helps to fill the sink at least half full first so when the blockage
is cleared it gets washed away.

cheers,
Pete.
Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I assume the "straight pipe" is the single outlet you refer to, and it
sounds like that is blocked rather than any of the 3 pipes leading into
it. The springy flexible things often push through the obstruction. A
length of garden hose might be more effective. Better still if you can
run water through it and get a bit of pressure going, but obviously have
a bucket handy.
Chances are it's hair from the bath, and caustic soda won't help. It's
often easier (but not very pleasant) to pull it back with coat hanger
wire. Just make a small hook on the end.
I suppose you don't have an access point outside the flat?

Pete C wrote:
[...]

The plunger worked a treat! I bought a small one for £3 and cleared
the drain in seconds. No mess, no fuss. Easy.

Thank you!