Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY ear-unblocking

In article ,
Chris writes:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

It happens to me after a cold is gone, occasionally.

With lips closed and nose pinched, use lungs to raise air pressure
in nose/mouth, until you hear your ears pop, which forces air into
the middle ear. It will escape with the fluid when you release the
pressure (and maybe swallow a few times). May need to repeat a few
times a day.

Note this also raises your blood pressure momentarily, so may not
be a good idea if you've had a stroke or very poor blood clotting.

BTW, unlikely to be pus unless you have raging ear-ache too. Most
likely to be nasal mucus, which gets up there when there's an excess
of it around.

--
Andrew Gabriel