Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY ear-unblocking

On 04/09/16 13:47, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

As someone who gets this often when I get a cold (but without full on
ear ache):

Don't force it by holding your nose and blowing - if it's reluctant, all
you'll do is blow air in which probably won't come out until it's ready
- leading to some discomfort.

Try dry swallowing with head at various angles and walk about a bit. It
will often encourage the tubes to open a little. You'll know because
you'll notice odd crackling/popping sounds.

If it's not clearing soon, I'd pop along to the doctor.