norm

Default Unblocking drains

Hi,

I've had a few occasions in the last year where my outside drain has
blocked, leading to a build up of sewage under the manhole cover and
eventually a toilet where the doings don't disapear, if you get my
drift.

I am very reluctant to pay anyone to do anything I can do myself and
until recently I've been able to sort out the problem with a thirty
foot spring thing from B+Q. However, the last blockage could be
shifted by no amount of springing. The whole 30 ft was swallowed up
but didn't appear to reach the blockage.

I decided enough was enough and got Dynarod round. Dyna-man
did the job in a few minutes with a six foot pole with a 4 inch piece
of rubber on the end. I couldn't believe it. How annoyed was I ? !!

The theory behind his success as opposed to my failure is that
puttiing the spring down just punches a small hole through the
blockage.

Thought I'd pass this handy hint on.

norm
Scott

"norm" wrote in message
[...]

OR for about 40quid you can get a 15-20m extension pipe for your pressure
washer. I bought one of these... amazing.

They have a speacial outlet nozzell which means it pulls its self along the
drain until it starts cutting crap.

Malc

"Scott" wrote in message

OR for about 40quid you can get a 15-20m extension pipe for your pressure
washer. I bought one of these... amazing.

They have a speacial outlet nozzell which means it pulls its self along

the
drain until it starts cutting crap.

Post it through the door of Number 10 will you.

--
Malc

Scott

"Malc" wrote in message
.uk...

"Scott" wrote in message

OR for about 40quid you can get a 15-20m extension pipe for your

pressure
washer. I bought one of these... amazing.

They have a speacial outlet nozzell which means it pulls its self along

the
drain until it starts cutting crap.

Post it through the door of Number 10 will you.

Give it chance mate. It's not that good at wading through ****

norm

OR for about 40quid you can get a 15-20m extension pipe for your pressure
washer. I bought one of these... amazing.

They have a speacial outlet nozzell which means it pulls its self along the
drain until it starts cutting crap.

It's gotta be worth it. There seems to be something inherently
inadequate about modern drains.

norm

Mike

"Scott" wrote in message

"norm" wrote in message
[...]

Or get ten metres of two inch flexible pipe from Machine Mart. Moves
anything.

Dave Baker

Subject: Unblocking drains
From: norm
Date: 29/11/04 20:47 GMT Standard Time
[...]

The theory of drain unblocking is very simple. You use the kinetic energy of a
large mass of moving water to blast the blockage out of the pipe. Technique is
as follows. The 4" rubber plate is designed to be a fairly close fit in a std
sewer pipe. Fix this to sufficient length of extension bars to reach the
blockage. Pull back about 3 to 6 feet and leave in place for a while until the
water has run round the plate and filled the sewer pipe. Pull back the 4" plate
sharply and as far as possible to create a void space and abruptly release. The
mass of water/debris upstream of the plate will now rush back downstream,
carrying the plate with it until it hits the 6' of water upstream of the
blockage. A massive hydraulic shock will take place which blows the blockage
away. Repeat until the blockage is cleared. Once or twice is usually enough.

Firkling about with corkscrew attachments and other springy things is a girlies
excercise which achieves three fifths of **** all and like the man says only
punches a small hole through the blockage which then immediately blocks up
again.

This is not rocket science. Anyone with even a tiny teeny brain and a
rudimentary knowledge of hydraulics could work it all out from first
principles.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
John Stumbles

Dave Baker wrote:
Firkling about with corkscrew attachments and other springy things is a girlies

I'm not sure about using 'girlies' as a derogatory term in this context:
the very impressive blockage I was dealing with today was caused by half
a dozen girlies and they weren't even trying 3 weeks out of 4 ;-)