SpamTrapSeeSig

Default Unclogging soil filled drains

In article , NickW
writes
How could I unclog this drain? I thought of getting a pressure washer
and shoving it up the outflow I found in the ditch. Any other ideas
would be apprecitated.

I have a fairly beefy Kaarcher with the drain-jetting hose attachment.
I'm very glad I got the 'long' version (around 75ft.), as I've need to
use it's entire length on a couple of occasions. It's done a brilliant
job on our salt-glazed (clay pipe) drains (slowly getting replaced with
plastic).

I also had a cast-iron downpipe concreted into a gully trap. Both were
solid with grit, moss and other crud off the roof, to a depth of 2' up
the pipe (tried to rod it, which is why I know). The drain-jetting
'bullet' cleared this completely after about 20 mins of soggy poking
about.

So I'd heartily recommend them from my own experience, BUT clay land
drains are notorious for cracking and collapsing, and becoming conduits
for tree roots (in search of the water). If the drain is intact, a
pressure jetter might well clear it. but if it's collapsed, you'll have
to dig it out and repair it. It's annoying that the hose can't be
extended (it goes straight into the "gun" of the jetwash) - I have an
extension pipe for the jetwash itself, but that's no use in this
context. The 'pro' versions have much longer pipes, so hiring one might
be a better option.

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
The Natural Philosopher

NickW wrote:

I live in an area where there is no mains drainage. Last winter we had
too much surface water for my liking.

The other day I lifted a concrete slab out of curiosity and found a
pit about a meter deep with some pipes entering and exiting it. It
turns out to be an old drainage system for my plot. Someone obviously
agreed with me about the surface water some time ago but it's been
neglected and allowed to fill up with crud.

I found the other end of the downstream pipe after a bit of digging in
a ditch adjacent to my house. It's competely clogged with soil as far
as I can get a small spade up it.

How could I unclog this drain? I thought of getting a pressure washer
and shoving it up the outflow I found in the ditch. Any other ideas
would be apprecitated.

The pressure washer sounds a very good idea. I'd go with that.

Chances are there are roots in it as well tho.

Mind you, water will still drain through a soil plug, albeit a tad more
slowly...

Nick.

Andrew

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

NickW wrote:

I live in an area where there is no mains drainage. Last winter we had
too much surface water for my liking.

The other day I lifted a concrete slab out of curiosity and found a
pit about a meter deep with some pipes entering and exiting it. It
turns out to be an old drainage system for my plot. Someone obviously
agreed with me about the surface water some time ago but it's been
neglected and allowed to fill up with crud.

I found the other end of the downstream pipe after a bit of digging in
a ditch adjacent to my house. It's competely clogged with soil as far
as I can get a small spade up it.

How could I unclog this drain? I thought of getting a pressure washer
and shoving it up the outflow I found in the ditch. Any other ideas
would be apprecitated.

The pressure washer sounds a very good idea. I'd go with that.

If you don't have a pressure washer, a bit of copper pipe held onto the
hose with a jubilee clip and bent over at the end to form a jet works
reasonable well. You can hack away at the blockage without fear of
knackering anything expensive. Which is nice!
NickW

Another way might be to catch a mole and drop it in the top end of the
pipe - making sure it can't climb out. Moley might then be inclined to
dig his way out.

Andrew

Ho ho, very good

I didn't know you could get drain clearing attatchments. That's good
news, I'll give it a go.

Thanks

Nick