The Natural Philosopher

Default Unclogging soil filled drains

NickW wrote:

I live in an area where there is no mains drainage. Last winter we had
too much surface water for my liking.

The other day I lifted a concrete slab out of curiosity and found a
pit about a meter deep with some pipes entering and exiting it. It
turns out to be an old drainage system for my plot. Someone obviously
agreed with me about the surface water some time ago but it's been
neglected and allowed to fill up with crud.

I found the other end of the downstream pipe after a bit of digging in
a ditch adjacent to my house. It's competely clogged with soil as far
as I can get a small spade up it.

How could I unclog this drain? I thought of getting a pressure washer
and shoving it up the outflow I found in the ditch. Any other ideas
would be apprecitated.

The pressure washer sounds a very good idea. I'd go with that.

Chances are there are roots in it as well tho.

Mind you, water will still drain through a soil plug, albeit a tad more
slowly...

Nick.