zjustice

Default Unblocking a toilet - any tips ?

Thanks

Tim..

"zjustice" wrote in message

Thanks

The circular black rubber attachment and 1 draining rod.

Tim..

ben

zjustice wrote:
Thanks

You must do some ****tin?

Strong mix of Caustic soda.

Bob Eager

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 21:38:20 UTC, "zjustice"
wrote:

Thanks

Fill a bucket with water. Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

Brian G

zjustice wrote:
Thanks

Briefly,

It depends on where it is blocked and what's causing it.

The cure ranges from sticking your hand down the pan through all the solids
etc to employing somebody like Dyno-Rod to come and jet the sewers.

If its just the pan blocked on the bend with a childs toy, lots of paper etc
and it can't be cleared by sticking a gloved hand down and grabbing it, try
carefully disconnecting and releasing the pan, put the pan into a large
plastic bag (wheelie bin liner is ideal), take it outside and then upend the
pan into the bag it to remove the solids and then extract the toy etc from
the 'other end' of the pan - to get rid of the solids out of the plastic
bag, just lift the manhole cover and tip them down there.

If the blockage is in the soil pipe between the pan and the manhole cover
outside, then things can become a little more complicated and you will need
to hire or buy a set of drain rods to go poking around in the pipe - you may
have to remove the pan, possibly remove sections of waste pipe or even get
hold of a set of ladders to rod from the top of the vent pipe from the roof
down.

If the underground sewer itself is blocked, then clear it by sticking a set
of rods down it or get a firm to jet the sewer - if a collapsed sewer is
causing the problem, then that's a different 'ball game' to cure.

All the above presumes that the blockage is on your property, if not, then
you will have to either deal with your neighbours to get them to clear it or
contact the local authority to sort it out.

Warining. Don't eat just before you do this job or you may well be adding
to the mess :-)

Hope this is of help?

Brian G

BigWallop

"zjustice" wrote in message

Thanks

An old mop. The ones with the string style head are the best, but you can
use one with those cloth type heads as well. Fill the loo half way with
water then plunge it hard with the mop. This usually gives enough pressure
to clear blockages like a loo roll centre, with other things trapped behind
it, out of the pipework

What's gone down the loo to cause the blockage?

GymRatZ

zjustice wrote:
Thanks

If it's just a big ol' log I find simply putting a scoop of washing
powder (or crumbling up a washing powder cube) loosens things off enough
to flush away if left for a number of hours.
Andy Hall

wrote:

Thanks

Fill a bucket with water.

Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

It certainly would ;-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Bob Eager

wrote:

Thanks

Fill a bucket with water.

Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

It certainly would ;-)

Take courage, or work??? :-)

I've used this, with success, on numerous occasions. Does depend how bad
the blockage actually is, of course.

Nobody

On 2 Jul 2005 23:10:45 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Fill a bucket with water. Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

THis advice is, I hope, given on the assumption that the blocakage has
not caused the bowl to remain full of water from the cistern
????????????? :-))))

PhilÅ

wrote:

Thanks

Fill a bucket with water.

Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

It certainly would ;-)

Take courage, or work??? :-)

I've used this, with success, on numerous occasions. Does depend how bad
the blockage actually is, of course.

I also have, and it works, it is a good **** shifter.

PhilÅ

"BigWallop" wrote in message
k...

"zjustice" wrote in message

Thanks

An old mop. The ones with the string style head are the best, but you can
use one with those cloth type heads as well. Fill the loo half way with
water then plunge it hard with the mop. This usually gives enough
pressure
to clear blockages like a loo roll centre, with other things trapped
behind
it, out of the pipework

What's gone down the loo to cause the blockage?

Probably a large turd.. Do we really need this information this time on a
Sunday morning ??.

Andy Hall

wrote:

Thanks

Fill a bucket with water.

Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

It certainly would ;-)

Take courage, or work??? :-)

I've used this, with success, on numerous occasions. Does depend how bad
the blockage actually is, of course.

Sorry Bob. That wasn't what I meant. Separate the "Fill bucket with
water" sentence from the rest and re-read :-)

Anyway.... moving right along..... ;-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Bob Eager

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 10:02:40 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Fill a bucket with water.

Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

It certainly would ;-)

Take courage, or work??? :-)

I've used this, with success, on numerous occasions. Does depend how bad
the blockage actually is, of course.

Sorry Bob. That wasn't what I meant. Separate the "Fill bucket with
water" sentence from the rest and re-read :-)

LOL! Unfortunate choice of words, there!

I suppose an alternate method would be...

1) Consume several curries
2) Seal self to bowl with gaffer tape
3) Let go!

David Lang

Can't beat the old bent coathanger IMO.

Dave

Owain

Andy Hall wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote:
Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

It certainly would ;-)

c|nk

You bad man. I didn't think of that until you replied.

Owain

Andy Hall

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:04:27 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote:
Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

It certainly would ;-)

c|nk

You bad man. I didn't think of that until you replied.

Owain

You've got to be quick. Sharp as a razor here, you know...

Well a Stanley knife, anyway....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote:
Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.
It certainly would ;-)

c|nk

You bad man. I didn't think of that until you replied.

Owain

You've got to be quick. Sharp as a razor here, you know...

Well a Stanley knife, anyway....

Yes, they'll take a pop at you at the drop of a... er... I think I'll not go
there!

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

BigWallop

"David Lang" wrote in message
Can't beat the old bent coathanger IMO.

Dave

Or a queer plumber. :-)

Mike Hibbert

wrote:

Thanks

Fill a bucket with water. Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

"Stand on a chair and dump"

Thats probably what caused the blockage in the first place!

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

Yes, they'll take a pop at you at the drop of a... er... I think I'll not go
there!

Well you can't.... it is blocked!

--
Cheers,

John.

BigWallop

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Yes, they'll take a pop at you at the drop of a... er... I think I'll

not go
there!

Well you can't.... it is blocked!

John.

The local police station had all its toilet bowls stolen. The police still
have nothing to go on.

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Thanks

Fill a bucket with water. Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

what do you do with the bucket of water?
Bob Eager

wrote:

Fill a bucket with water. Stand on a chair and dump, as fast as
possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum height possible.
Takes courage, but often works.

what do you do with the bucket of water?

You're nearly 25 hours late...

Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Yes, they'll take a pop at you at the drop of a... er... I think I'll not
go there!

Well you can't.... it is blocked!

:-)

Mary

Tony Williams

wrote:

Fill a bucket with water. Stand on a chair and dump, as fast
as possibile, into the bowl. Try to achieve the maximum
height possible. Takes courage, but often works.

what do you do with the bucket of water?

You're nearly 25 hours late...

Give him a teaspoon of liquid paraffin then...

--
Tony Williams.

Unblocking a toilet Homer2911 UK diy 17 June 12th 05 07:08 PM
Replace toilet in CA due to mineral build-up?? dave Home Ownership 0 January 4th 05 03:51 AM
wax free toilet seal - experiences? AAB Home Repair 18 March 3rd 04 01:05 AM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 07:48 PM
Tips Comnpetition Fred Holder Woodturning 0 October 16th 03 08:17 PM