Posted to uk.d-i-y
pinnerite pinnerite is offline

Default DIY ear-unblocking

alan_m wrote:

On 04/09/2016 13:47, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had
attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with
fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably
reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a
swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference
is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I
first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

It may be blocked sinuses - try steam - breathing in from a bowl of hot
water with a towel over your head. Perhaps add spearmint or peppermint.

At the beginning of last year, I had mild flu' but serious sinus blocking.
My daughter in Australia suggested the traditional steaming bowl of boiled
water and the towel over the head. I remember my parents doing the same with
Beecham's powders.

I gave it a try, not realizing that this would open the capillaries in my
nose leading to an unstoppable nose-bleed and NHS Direct's urge to 'get him
to as hospital within the hour'.

I was lucky. The designated hospital was Watford General. Apparently it was
our nearest yet I had never been there before. They were magnificent. From
reception, through triage to examination and treatment, just Rolls Royce.
The lovely east European junior doctor took a swab and within an hour was
able to say 'well its not man-flu'!

Take care. You may not be as lucky as me.

Alan s

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5