Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas meter ventilation requirement

OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There
is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of cold
air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and
more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There
is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of cold
air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and
more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

Our gas meter is also in the pantry and there is no airbrick or
ventilation whatsoever. We have recently had the meter changed (routine
scheduled change) and the fitters did not say anything about needing
ventilation.

AFAIK is only gas burning appliances that ate not room sealed need
ventilation to the outside world.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/16 19:10, Bob Minchin wrote:
AnthonyL wrote:
OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There
is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of cold
air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and
more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

Our gas meter is also in the pantry and there is no airbrick or
ventilation whatsoever. We have recently had the meter changed (routine
scheduled change) and the fitters did not say anything about needing
ventilation.

AFAIK is only gas burning appliances that ate not room sealed need
ventilation to the outside world.

Lots of gas meters are under the stairs with no ventilation. I cannot
say what the current regs are, but it has no more reason to leak than
the rest of the gas pipework (which shouldn't leak at all).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There
is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of cold
air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and
more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

You can take the airbrick out and plaster over it, unless you want
ventilation in this area for some other reason.
Gas meters have no need of ventilation, food used to before proper
refrigeration, and this is what the pantry was originally built for, along
with it's airbrick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 February 2016 17:47:21 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There
is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of cold
air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and
more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

--
AnthonyL

All closed spaces where there are gas pipe have to be ventilated.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/19/made

Paragraph 6

This is to dissipate accumulations of gas if there should be a leak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There
is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of cold
air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and
more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

Our gas meter is also in the pantry and there is no airbrick or
ventilation whatsoever. We have recently had the meter changed (routine
scheduled change) and the fitters did not say anything about needing
ventilation.

AFAIK is only gas burning appliances that ate not room sealed need
ventilation to the outside world.

Lots of gas meters are under the stairs with no ventilation. I cannot
say what the current regs are, but it has no more reason to leak than
the rest of the gas pipework (which shouldn't leak at all).

Don't guess if you don't know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"harry" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 9 February 2016 17:47:21 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There
is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of cold
air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and
more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

--
AnthonyL

All closed spaces where there are gas pipe have to be ventilated.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/19/made

Paragraph 6

About as relevant as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdBT9VBTvMw

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 February 2016 17:47:21 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There
is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of
cold air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and
more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

--
AnthonyL

All closed spaces where there are gas pipe have to be ventilated.

Completely false.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/19/made

Paragraph 6

This is to dissipate accumulations of gas if there should be a leak.

Where any installation pipework is not itself contained in a ventilated
duct, no person shall install any installation pipework in any shaft, duct
or void which is not adequately ventilated.

A pantry, like a kitchen, living room or cupboard under the stairs, isn't a
shaft, duct or void.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 21:04:32 -0000, "Phil L"
wrote:

harry wrote:
[...]

SWIMBO shall have her draught free dust free pantry - thanks (most of
you) for your help.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2016 17:47, AnthonyL wrote:
OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There
is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of cold
air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and
more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

The air brick may be because the space is a pantry, and perhaps needs to
be kept cool, rather than because of the presence of the gas meter.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes indeed, when we had gas it was under the stairs with no ventilation.
The only thing I'd say is to be sure there are no leaks and that blocking
it does not cause condensation issues, then get out the eve stik and stick
something over it!
Brian

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
AnthonyL wrote:
OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There
is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of cold
air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and
more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

Our gas meter is also in the pantry and there is no airbrick or
ventilation whatsoever. We have recently had the meter changed (routine
scheduled change) and the fitters did not say anything about needing
ventilation.

AFAIK is only gas burning appliances that ate not room sealed need
ventilation to the outside world.

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 February 2016 21:01:44 UTC, Phil L wrote:
harry wrote:
[...]

It's a void ****-fer-brains.
Why do you think the air brick is there in the first place?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 February 2016 01:14:13 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
On 09/02/2016 17:47, AnthonyL wrote:
OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There
is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of cold
air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and
more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

The air brick may be because the space is a pantry, and perhaps needs to
be kept cool, rather than because of the presence of the gas meter.

--
Michael Chare

You are full of crap.
http://www.fulcrum.co.uk/expertise/f...16-or-greater/

The ventilation has to be 2% of the ground area of the place the meter is enclosed in.

It took me two minute to find the above.
It's half wits like you causes gas explosions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

Because it's a pantry, idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2016 09:56, harry wrote:
[...]

You have clearly demonstrated that you lack the wits to determine
whether the link you posted is likely to be relevant.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

Nope, it's a pantry.

Why do you think the air brick is there in the first place?

Because it's a pantry.

Even you should have notice that there is no
air brick when the meter is under the stairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 01:56:32 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

[...]

Could you clarify how the above url applies to my situation?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 February 2016 21:01:44 UTC, Phil L wrote:
A pantry, like a kitchen, living room or cupboard under the stairs,
isn't a shaft, duct or void.

It's a void ****-fer-brains.
Why do you think the air brick is there in the first place?

Voids don't have a six foot six inch door in them you thick ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It is very possible that your meter is not large enough to need a vent
See https://www.bes.co.uk/products/030.asp for example.

FWIW our small larder does have an airbrick. There is no gas supply
where I live.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It has no effect on your situation, Harry hasn't got a clue.

Almost everyone here lives in a 2 storey house, of those, the majority of
them have at least 1 gas pipe running through the ceiling void, underneath
their upstairs floorboards so to speak. Of that high number of properties,
the gas pipe will go across the joists, from one 'void' to another and onto
the next and so on until it reaches the boiler / kitchen / whatever.
All of these voids would have to be ventilated by Harry's logic - there
would be rows of exterior vent bricks at joist height on almost every two
storey house in the country. I've never seen one yet, but he insists all gas
pipes in a void need their own ventilation, he's got the wrong end of the
stick, in fact, it's the wrong stick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well, in my early days the gas meter was under the stairs, no air brick.
In my later days, the gas meter was also under the stairs, no air brick.
In my a bit later days the gas meter was in the porch thigee, no air brick.
Ditto for a few more years in other houses.
In my present and probably my last home the gas meter is in a dead posh
cupboard in the hall, no air brick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Well, in my early days the gas meter was under the stairs, no air
brick. In my later days, the gas meter was also under the stairs, no
air brick. In my a bit later days the gas meter was in the porch
thigee, no air brick. Ditto for a few more years in other houses.
In my present and probably my last home the gas meter is in a dead
posh cupboard in the hall, no air brick.

Pretty much the same as 90% of the population then

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 February 2016 20:02:51 UTC, Phil L wrote:
harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 February 2016 21:01:44 UTC, Phil L wrote:
A pantry, like a kitchen, living room or cupboard under the stairs,
isn't a shaft, duct or void.

It's a void ****-fer-brains.
Why do you think the air brick is there in the first place?

Voids don't have a six foot six inch door in them you thick ****.

A void is any enclosed space.
It's enclosed because there is a door ****-fer-brains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If you look at a modern gas meter, it with be outside in a an enclosure that is ventilated.
The electricity meter is in an identical box but unventilated.

Gas meters/pipes in unventilated spaces are one reason we have gas explosions. And idiots blocking vents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 February 2016 20:49:54 UTC, Phil L wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Well, in my early days the gas meter was under the stairs, no air
brick. In my later days, the gas meter was also under the stairs, no
air brick. In my a bit later days the gas meter was in the porch
thigee, no air brick. Ditto for a few more years in other houses.
In my present and probably my last home the gas meter is in a dead
posh cupboard in the hall, no air brick.

Pretty much the same as 90% of the population then

That type of installation no longer complies. And no it isn't.

For the brain dead.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/13/made

A "compound" BTW is the room the meter is in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well **** fer brains, you have hit on the reason we get gas explosions blowing buildings up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 February 2016 12:55:00 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Why don't you just ****ing read it?
And yes, it applies to us all.

And, these rules are legally enforceable.
And if you had an explosion, it would be the ideal excuse for the insurance not to pay out.
And yes, there would be an investigation to determine the cause.

I can't abide idiots.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

You have hit on the reason we get gas explosions in peoples houses.
See my other post.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 February 2016 21:01:44 UTC, Phil L wrote:
A pantry, like a kitchen, living room or cupboard under the stairs,
isn't a shaft, duct or void.

It's a void ****-fer-brains.
Why do you think the air brick is there in the first place?

Voids don't have a six foot six inch door in them you thick ****.

A void is any enclosed space.
It's enclosed because there is a door

Plenty of voids don't have any door.

****-fer-brains.

Your sig is sposed to have a line with just -- on it in front of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

Nope.

See my other post.

Completely useless, as always with your mindless silly ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My gas supply was very recently replaced, and checked to the latest
standards by National Grid. The meter is in the sealed unventilated
garage, which is part of the house. You're talking crap again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:11:13 -0000, "Phil L"
wrote:

It has no effect on your situation, Harry hasn't got a clue.

I sort of was hoping for Harry to respond. He surely must know about
all this have made such clear pronouncement following his two minute
gas expert googling course?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

Get a grip you ****ing clown.
There's thousands of building sites all over the country building houses
without underfloor vents, are you trying to suggest that they are all
breaking the law?
How are they all able to remain in buisness?

You've misunderstood your own (incorrect) link and are now making yourself
look an even bigger moron than most realised

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 February 2016 17:46:18 UTC, Phil L wrote:
harry wrote:
[...]

Modern houses do not have suspended timber floors and the VENTILATED meter box is outside ****-fer-brains.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It has no effect on your situation, Harry hasn't got a clue.

I sort of was hoping for Harry to respond. He surely must know about
all this have made such clear pronouncement following his two minute
gas expert googling course?

Look at the meter boxes ****-fer-brains.
The door has top and bottom ventilation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2016 19:59, harry wrote:

Modern houses do not have suspended timber floors and the VENTILATED meter box is outside ****-fer-brains.

No, most of them around here have beam and block floors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It has no effect on your situation, Harry hasn't got a clue.

I sort of was hoping for Harry to respond. He surely must know about
all this have made such clear pronouncement following his two minute
gas expert googling course?

Look at the meter boxes ****-fer-brains.
The door has top and bottom ventilation.

That is avoiding my question with regard to the U16 or greater
specification that you cited.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

Plenty of them do you pig ignorant clown.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 12 February 2016 01:24:02 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"harry" wrote in message
Modern houses do not have suspended timber floors

Plenty of them do

Not, I think you will find, in the UK. At least, not on the ground
floor (where the gas pipes are most likely to be). Suspended timber makes
it hard to meet the insulation requirements. (Obviously, it's *possible*,
but there are cheaper and easier ways to do it.)

GFCI Requirement? Larry[_21_] Home Repair 33 April 28th 12 11:38 AM
Urgent Requirement:-- [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 July 10th 07 11:05 AM
Meter cupboard ventilation Hugh UK diy 5 August 7th 06 08:35 AM
UPDATE: 11 Meter to 10 Meter Yagi Antenna Conversion Brad Electronics Repair 1 June 18th 06 08:49 PM
Odd rivetting requirement ? [email protected] UK diy 9 February 20th 05 11:05 PM