Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Meter cupboard ventilation

Does anyone know the requirements for ventilation of a cupboard containing a
gas meter, and would it differ if there were 2 , or more meters?
In particular, trying to find out the size of vent required.
tia
Hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugh" wrote in message
Does anyone know the requirements for ventilation of a cupboard containing

gas meter, and would it differ if there were 2 , or more meters?
In particular, trying to find out the size of vent required.
tia
Hugh

I can't think why there should be any need to ventilate a cupboard
containing a gas meter specifically. All restricted volumes are going to be
better if vented to fresh air as eventually without ventilation it will
started to smell stale or worse.

Regards

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

"Hugh" wrote in message
Does anyone know the requirements for ventilation of a cupboard
containing

gas meter, and would it differ if there were 2 , or more meters?
In particular, trying to find out the size of vent required.
tia
Hugh

I can't think why there should be any need to ventilate a cupboard
containing a gas meter specifically. All restricted volumes are going to
be
better if vented to fresh air as eventually without ventilation it will
started to smell stale or worse.

Regards

Bob

Thanks Bob,
but I believe there is an requirement and probably a specification. The
logic being, of course, that if there is a leak however tiny, it can't build
up into anything serious with continual ventilation.
It's just that someone asked me, and I remember about 2 years doing a
conversion and we had to install a vent in a meter cupboard, but can't
remember any other details!
It's old age creeping on!

Hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugh" wrote in message
[...]

Ah! I see the logic. Given the probability of a leak is pretty low then the
probability of a second leak on the other meter is incredibly low so
rational argument should sayt that the ventilation need be no greater for
multiple meters. However those who make the regulation do not always follow
logic.

My gas meter is in our larder with no explicit ventilation other than if we
want to eat, we need to open the larder door at least daily. Our meter was
swapped for a digital (cyclometer type) type a few years back and the
fitters made no comment. The house is about 80 years old and has been on gas
since pre natural gas days.

You might find the answer on 2jags website (search odpm?) if it is covered
by building regs.

regards

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugh" wrote in message
Does anyone know the requirements for ventilation of a cupboard containing
a gas meter, and would it differ if there were 2 , or more meters?
In particular, trying to find out the size of vent required.

There is no particular provision for ventilation on the external meter
cupboard at my factory.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh wrote:

but I believe there is an requirement and probably a specification. The
logic being, of course, that if there is a leak however tiny, it can't build
up into anything serious with continual ventilation.

AIUI that rule applies for sealed, ie boxed-in spaces, not one with a
door on the front.

David

re-siting gas meter :\) UK diy 5 February 22nd 06 11:07 AM
Gas meter stopper [email protected] UK diy 4 February 21st 06 11:50 PM
PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver) Power Supply Chris Electronics Repair 7 January 31st 06 03:19 AM
New gas meter comes, old boiler fired. Adrian C UK diy 63 August 16th 05 10:37 AM
Gas meter location - any laws/regulation on this?? [email protected] UK diy 89 July 25th 05 11:09 AM