Posted to uk.d-i-y
:\)

Default re-siting gas meter

Hi
would there be there any reason that we cannot get a corgi registered gas
man to re-site our gas meter from one side of the kitchen wall to the other
(ie fom indoors to outside in the garden?) There is a path all the way round
the outside to the proposed location, and there is a manual lever to turn
the gas off just before the meter. It would make meter reading so much
easier, and give us another cupboard space in the kitchen. The gas suppliers
have quoted £495 to move it 0.2 meters, since this is the minimum charge
they make. They would not even have to drill a hole in the wall since there
is a vent-brick right beside the meter anyway, and I think we can buy the
meter boxes from Ridgeons.
Thanks in advance
Mara

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

wrote:

would there be there any reason that we cannot get a corgi registered gas
man to re-site our gas meter from one side of the kitchen wall to the other
(ie fom indoors to outside in the garden?) There is a path all the way round
the outside to the proposed location, and there is a manual lever to turn
the gas off just before the meter. It would make meter reading so much
easier, and give us another cupboard space in the kitchen. The gas suppliers
have quoted £495 to move it 0.2 meters, since this is the minimum charge
they make. They would not even have to drill a hole in the wall since there
is a vent-brick right beside the meter anyway, and I think we can buy the
meter boxes from Ridgeons.

Firstly, there are all sorts of different qualifications which gas
engineers need to have, one of them being fiddling around with meters,
so you can't assume all CORGIs will be able to do it. If you look at:
http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/section_gas_law/about_installer_find_installer.asp
you should be able to find one who's registered for this; although when
I tried, most of the guys I phoned seemed to deny it!

However, presumably you're going to have to move the main gas stop cock
too? I *suspect* that will mean you are compelled to use Transco - have
you contacted them? In the end, that's who moved mine, but they did it
FOC on the basis of it being unsafe. 495 GBP is outrageous, you could
have a whole new supply installed for that sort of dosh!

The whole area is a minefield, like all the other utility companies,
none of whom have a clue about whose jurisdiction different parts of
their systems come under. So be prepared to receive conflicting answers
from whoever you contact (and yes, that includes different employees
within the same outfit...)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archie

I payed £200 (about 5 years ago ) to have my meter moved outside. As Dave
says, they moved the stop cock outside. They also dug up my patio to replace
the connecting pipe. I guess that this type of work isn't done by your
normal Corgi gas fitter.

Archie

"" wrote in message
Hi
would there be there any reason that we cannot get a corgi registered gas
man to re-site our gas meter from one side of the kitchen wall to the
other (ie fom indoors to outside in the garden?) There is a path all the
way round the outside to the proposed location, and there is a manual
lever to turn the gas off just before the meter. It would make meter
reading so much easier, and give us another cupboard space in the kitchen.
The gas suppliers have quoted £495 to move it 0.2 meters, since this is
the minimum charge they make. They would not even have to drill a hole in
the wall since there is a vent-brick right beside the meter anyway, and I
think we can buy the meter boxes from Ridgeons.
Thanks in advance
Mara

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archie

This reminds me of the first time I moved my gas meter 20 years ago.

I had just move into the house and was installing new kitchen units. The
meter was in the way of the new units so I decided to move it. After I had
the meter move and checked the joints with soapy water I though I would call
Scottish Gas (.long before privatisation) for a safety check. The
conversation went like this.

I have moved my gas meter and..
YOU'VE WHAT
I have moved my gas meter and..
YOU CAN'T DO THAT
I've already done it and want a safety check.
You are not allowed to move your meter- its illegal.
I am fitting new kitchen units and the meter was in the way so I had to move
it over a bit.
O I don't know about this. I'll need to report it. You may not have heard
the end of this.
Ok but can you send somebody out to check it?

The gasman duly arrived, had a quick look at my soldering then got his
manometer out to check for leaks. Everything was OK and he left after a few
minutes. I got a bill for about £8.

After 15 years, SWMBO wanted a new kitchen and the meter got in the way
again. At this time I decided to have the meter moved outside. I new that
the connection into the house would requite a U shaped loop out from the
wall. I drew a line on the wall where the uprights would be and asked my
father in-law to make sure that the U joint was to the left if this line.
When I got home from work I was dismayed to find that although the elbow was
to the left of the line, it was at an angle which would interfere with the
base unit. What should I do? take a day off work and make the do it again or
just fix it myself?

After I fixed it myself, ( I really needed to get on and fit the new units)
I rigged up a "sort of" namoneter out of clear plastic tubing and checked
for leaks. I couldn't make up my mind if there was a small leak or not. It
could just have been movement in the plasic tube but I rechecked my joints
with soapy water. Everything was OK on the bits I had done so I checked the
quick release connector for the gas cooker which had be previously fitted by
a Corgi man. There was a tiny leak there so I tightened up the joint and
stopped the leak.

Paying for a Corgi man is no guarantee of getting a proper job done.

Archie

"Archie" wrote in message
k...
I payed £200 (about 5 years ago ) to have my meter moved outside. As Dave
says, they moved the stop cock outside. They also dug up my patio to
replace the connecting pipe. I guess that this type of work isn't done by
your normal Corgi gas fitter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:19:08 GMT, "Archie" wrote:

I couldn't make up my mind if there was a small leak or not.

Small changes in ambient temperature cause the gas to expand/contract
which would have caused the movement you saw.

sponix

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mogga

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:28:14 +0000, Owain

would there be there any reason that we cannot get a corgi registered gas
man to re-site our gas meter from one side of the kitchen wall to the other
(ie fom indoors to outside in the garden?)

Yes, the meter and the pipework before it belong to "the gas company"[1]
and are not yours to move.

This isn't what the gas company told a friend recently when she rang
to say water was leaking through in on the pipes. In the end they
agreed to send someone out who's organised work for summer.

Owain

[1] We can argue over who exactly is this gas company nowadays :-)

--
Get money off vouchers for everything
http://www.moneyoffvouchers.co.uk

PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver) Power Supply Chris Electronics Repair 7 January 31st 06 04:19 AM
Update ? Meter to test thermoelectric potential of unknown metal Bill Janssen Metalworking 0 October 13th 05 01:05 AM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 06:49 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 08:21 PM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 03:51 AM