Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broadband Plusnet v Broadband

A year or so ago I switched my phone to Plusnet as part of a phone/Broadband
package.

Since had calls from BT trying to lure me back.

Latest was yesterday. He told me it would be faster and more reliable with
BT. I suggested that the cables are the same so how would it be faster. He
told me that their fibre cables run parallel to the old wire cables. how
can I confirm this?

I don't know enough about it to know if I'm being feed BS, that's why I'm
here.

I was given some attractive deals but I said I would need to see the deals
in writing as it was a lot to take in over the phone. He wasn't allowed.
To me that's in the same area of sales techniques as the double glazing
salesman phoning his manager to get a better price.

He's calling me next week to see what I've come up with after my 'think
about it'.

Any pointers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote:
[...]

Tell 'em to eff off.

Plusnet are basically a BT subsidiary who offer better prices (generally)
and better customer support. There's no reason that a BT line should be
faster or more reliable than a Plusnet one as they're the same lines.

It maybe that your neighbourhood has just been upgraded to FTTC (fibre to
the cabinet) and BT are trying to get their fibre offering in the door to
you before you've checked out Plusnet's pricing.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2015 13:04, Tim+ wrote:
"mark" wrote:
[...]

What they do not tell you is what happens when you get a problem. As I
Plusnet user I have found them very friendly, supportive and
knowledgeable. The only downside is they are a tad slow, certainly
compared to IDnet my previous supplier, however they a cheaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2015 12:55, mark wrote:
[...]

Both ISPs offer fibre broadband[1] at 17, 38 and 76Mb, using the same
wires and fibres, so the "faster and more reliable" claim is bullsh*t.
General experience is that PlusNet offer better support if/when there
are problems and are usually cheaper. However, check out the details of
various bundles offered to see what's best for you. Watch out for the
small print - introductory rates, connection fee, minimum contract
duration, exit fee etc.

[1] It's actually fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) then twisted pair wire to
your house.

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/15 12:55, mark wrote:
[...]

Only if he means "switch to FTTC" which is Fibre-to-the-cabinet.

And you can do that with anyone. FTTC is sold by BT as BT Infinity but
it's the same as VDSL/FTTC and is known by lots of trade names.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nemo wrote:

Both ISPs offer fibre broadband[1] at 17,

That's copper

38 and 76Mb, using the same
wires and fibres, so the "faster and more reliable" claim is bullsh*t.

There is one recently introduced difference with Plusnet, their 38Mbps
service had the upload speed cut from 10Mbps to 2Mbps - maybe they think
it will mean anyone who wants fast uploads will chose the 76/20Mbps
service - to me it's a backwards step.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
rnal-september.org, Tim+ scribeth thus
"mark" wrote:
[...]

Yes do just that why anyone would want to deal with BT when there are
alternatives is beyond me;!....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2015 14:32, Andy Burns wrote:
nemo wrote:

There is one recently introduced difference with Plusnet, their 38Mbps
service had the upload speed cut from 10Mbps to 2Mbps - maybe they think
it will mean anyone who wants fast uploads will chose the 76/20Mbps
service - to me it's a backwards step.

If your Range B / impacted downstream speed estimate at
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ is below 40mbps PlusNet will only let you
have the 40/2 package.
They will not let you pay the extra for 80/20 even if you could get much
faster upstream than 2mbps. Other ISPs still offer 40/10.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Biggles wrote:
"mark" Wrote in message:
[...]

BT include wi-fi access to their customers' routers, which means
you can get wi-fi in many places, including some where there is
no mobile coverage. They also provide an app with which you can
make voice calls over wi-fi, billed at your land line rate.
Plusnet don't provide either of these, or didn't last time I
looked. Obviously you may or may not value these
features!

You can buy your own Fon access point which gives you free access to Fon
hotspots worldwide. This doesn't include non-Fon BT access points though.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" Wrote in message:
[...]

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , mark
escribió:

Any pointers?

uk.telecom.broadband is that way ------------------

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes

FTTC is *provided* by BT Openreach. They do the physical infrastructure
from the exchange to your house. Any provider, including BT Broadband,
can use FTTC (where available) to provide a broadband service for you.

Tangent alert. The local DSLAM cabinet was installed outside our house
a year ago, and since then, there is often an Openreach van there, with
a little man doing things in the cabinet. Daft question perhaps, but
presumably an engineer is not required to make a connection within the
cabinet every time someone switches to FTTC broadband?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

The local DSLAM cabinet

MSAN they call it for VDSL/FTTC, DSLAM implies ADSL.

was installed outside our house
a year ago, and since then, there is often an Openreach van there, with
a little man doing things in the cabinet. Daft question perhaps, but
presumably an engineer is not required to make a connection within the
cabinet every time someone switches to FTTC broadband?

They shouldn't need to visit the new cabinet for each FTTC migration,
because they install a multi-pair "tie" cable between the old and new
cabinets, but they do need to visit the old cabinet to divert each line
to the new cabinet, and the voice part back from the new cabinet to the
exchange.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
News wrote:

The local DSLAM cabinet

MSAN they call it for VDSL/FTTC, DSLAM implies ADSL.

Ah, thanks.

was installed outside our house
a year ago, and since then, there is often an Openreach van there, with
a little man doing things in the cabinet. Daft question perhaps, but
presumably an engineer is not required to make a connection within the
cabinet every time someone switches to FTTC broadband?

So an Openreach engineer is required to visit a cabinet every time
someone migrates? Didn't realise that. Interestingly, the new MSAN
cabinet did not replace and old cabinet, at least not in the same place.
The new installation is actually two cabinets, the large green MSAN with
a smaller green cabinet beside it.

Interestingly, prior to the installation of the new cabinet(s) against
our garden wall, we received the usual planning application from the
local authority. Needless to say, I did not object. The planning
permission showed only one cabinet to be installed, but two appeared. I
did not object to that, either.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2015 07:15, News wrote:
In message , Tim Streater
writes

FTTC is *provided* by BT Openreach. They do the physical infrastructure
from the exchange to your house. Any provider, including BT Broadband,
can use FTTC (where available) to provide a broadband service for you.

Tangent alert. The local DSLAM cabinet was installed outside our house
a year ago, and since then, there is often an Openreach van there, with
a little man doing things in the cabinet. Daft question perhaps, but
presumably an engineer is not required to make a connection within the
cabinet every time someone switches to FTTC broadband?

It depends on what's in the cab.

On the old systems they have to jumper between the voice and the dsl
racks if the user wasn't already on dsl.

On the newer stuff there is a software switch that changes between the
adsl and the vdsl protocols so no visit is needed to move from adsl to vdsl.

On the very new stuff the voice and the dsl are in the same rack and
there is no visits to enable dsl in any flavour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm on Virgin and in the last couple of months my snail mail and my phone
have been plagued by them telling me how much better and cheaper I can get
everything through them. They seem to know also that I have an unused old bt
line in the property. I find this sort of thing a little worrying. Indeed
they obviously have access to some very detailed info about me.
However their main problem is that its obvious that their people doing the
selling are ringing over a voip connection from foreign parts, and every
time now I hear that long delay as I lift the phone i just replace it
without even bothering to find out what scam or angle is going to assault my
ears. Since I cannot see any number displays, I find this an almost
foolproof way to choke them all off.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Broadback" wrote in message
On 17/09/2015 13:04, Tim+ wrote:
"mark" wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2015 11:08, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I'm on Virgin and in the last couple of months my snail mail and my phone
have been plagued by them telling me how much better and cheaper I can get
everything through them. They seem to know also that I have an unused old bt
line in the property. I find this sort of thing a little worrying. Indeed
they obviously have access to some very detailed info about me.
However their main problem is that its obvious that their people doing the
selling are ringing over a voip connection from foreign parts, and every
time now I hear that long delay as I lift the phone i just replace it
without even bothering to find out what scam or angle is going to assault my
ears. Since I cannot see any number displays, I find this an almost
foolproof way to choke them all off.
Brian

A second or two of silence after receiving the call suggests an
autodialler is at work, where their system is waiting for the next
operator to become available. After 3 or more seconds and no one can
take the call in their call centre they will simply drop the line and
you're none the wiser.

If they were smart they would employ a noise or sound to keep you on the
phone! Thankfully they're not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
I'm on Virgin and in the last couple of months my snail mail and my
phone have been plagued by them telling me how much better and cheaper
I can get everything through them.

Yet another reason to avoid them like the plague. My street has Virgin
cable going down it and I get bombarded by pleas from them to join up.
Suppose it's natural they do this to existing customers too.

Other good reason not to use them is the mess they make of running a cable
from the street to a house. Obviously taught by Radio Rentals.

--
*Vegetarians taste great*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 12:55:11 +0100, mark wrote:

Latest was yesterday. He told me it would be faster and more reliable
with BT. I suggested that the cables are the same so how would it be
faster. He told me that their fibre cables run parallel to the old
wire cables. how can I confirm this?

Are you on ADSL (up to 8 Mbps) or VDSL (Up to 38 or 76 Mbps)?

What that sales droid said might be half correct, you could get a
considerable speed increase by switching from ADSL to VDSL. The
village has recently become "fibre enabled", people down there were
lucky to get 1 Mbps on ADSL. VDSL from the new cabinet just outside
the village provides those same people with 30 to 40 Mbps. However
the fibre only runs to the cabinet (in the same ducting as the phone
lines from the exchange), but the last hop from the cabinet to
premesis is on the existing copper.

If he insists that the fibre runs all the way to the premises and
only wants a £100 or so install fee make it a term of the contract,
record the phone call, get emails, anything. Then don't be
disappointed when they don't deliver/cancel the order or be prepared
for a BIG argument if they do.

Fibre To The Premises (FTTP) is available but install costs have four
or five figures before the decimal point. BT are also playing with
FTTP on Demand but last time I looked they hadn't really thought
about
costings. FTTPoD ought to be vastly cheaper as any "excess
construction" is only charged from the nearest fibre node (joint box
in the installed fibre network) which may well be very close rather
than a "point of precense" that could be tens of miles away. But for
anything over 200 m from the fibre node you are still looking at four
figures...

BT Openreach now have huge amounts of spare capacity to all but the
smallest places. The afforementioned village cabinet serves about 100
customers and required 40 km of new fibre to be installed, admitedly
that 40 km of fibre also serves another half dozen or so cabinets in
this exchange area (and possibly enroute as well) but there are only
1200 customers in this area total, of which a number are too far from
a cabinet
to benefit from FTTC.

Once the dust has settled from BDUK Phase 1 and proper work starts on
Phase 2, BT Openreach will be looking at how to get this spare
capacity earning money.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Once the dust has settled from BDUK Phase 1 and proper work starts on
Phase 2, BT Openreach will be looking at how to get this spare
capacity earning money. /Q

Erm... Phased price reductions?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
I'm on Virgin and in the last couple of months my snail mail and my
phone have been plagued by them telling me how much better and cheaper
I can get everything through them.

Yet another reason to avoid them like the plague. My street has Virgin
cable going down it and I get bombarded by pleas from them to join up.
Suppose it's natural they do this to existing customers too.

Well thats trying to sell not a bad thing;!.

Other good reason not to use them is the mess they make of running a cable
from the street to a house. Obviously taught by Radio Rentals.

Well we use virgin and there're very good at Broadband and phone their
TV well not known as we don't us it BUT sometimes they deliver over BT
Openreach wires and there're just like any other ISP there.

However if it's over their co-axial network then that is very good. Here
I'm on their 100 meg service I can go for the 150 or more soon.

As to their cables yep some were a bit messy, ours are fine they put in
a duct as we asked them. Someone who's using good ole BT next door is
getting around 35 meg fibre FTTC and that looks as fast as its going to
go for a long while to come as yet!.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yet another reason to avoid them like the plague. My street has Virgin
cable going down it and I get bombarded by pleas from them to join up.
Suppose it's natural they do this to existing customers too.

For the past 5+ years a large percentage of my snail junk mail is from
virgin. Around once a week I get a fat A4 envelope with a glossy
personalised pamphlet stating how much I could save on my
Freeview/Freesat or non-existent Sky costs. This is usually followed up
with less bulky snail mail giving me a better offer. Strangely they
believe everyone is deeply into sport and want premium content channels.
For my usage of TV/phone/broadband I can get a better service or
better price elsewhere.

In the days long before Virgin took over the operation, when cable was
first installed in the street where I live the only notification was a
single letter around 6 weeks before they started work saying cable would
be coming to us soon. I was woken early one morning to find that the
contractors had stated work even earlier and there was already a trench
and the spoils piled high on the pavement. No resident could get their
cars out of their driveways (front gardens). There followed an intensive
campaign by cold calling foot-in-the-door salesmen scum attempting to
sign up customers. I wonder why the initial take up of cable in my
street wasn't that high?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , alan_m
scribeth thus

[...]

I tell you what I know of quite a few people who'd PAY them to come and
dig outside their front doors now as they can only get sub 1 meg speeds
on so called broadband and thats not too far out in the county
either!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 22:59:47 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

I tell you what I know of quite a few people who'd PAY them to come and
dig outside their front doors now as they can only get sub 1 meg speeds
on so called broadband and thats not too far out in the county
either!...

B-)

They wouldn't have to do much digging here, 96 core fibre going down
to the village's FTTC passes through a chamber 10 yards from the
house, it's believed there is a fibre node 200 m away in the
direction of the exchange. Pretty sure Hexham where the other end of
the fibre is has Virgin so they just rent a bit of dark fibre from BT
Openreach, and 200 m of duct, simples. (Does Virgin FTTP kit work on
the end of 40 km of fibre?)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Biggles posted
BT include wi-fi access to their customers' routers, which means
you can get wi-fi in many places, including some where there is
no mobile coverage. They also provide an app with which you can
make voice calls over wi-fi, billed at your land line rate.
Plusnet don't provide either of these, or didn't last time I
looked. Obviously you may or may not value these
features!

Why would anyone want the second one?

--
Les
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 22:59:47 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

I tell you what I know of quite a few people who'd PAY them to come and
dig outside their front doors now as they can only get sub 1 meg speeds
on so called broadband and thats not too far out in the county
either!...

B-)

They wouldn't have to do much digging here, 96 core fibre going down
to the village's FTTC passes through a chamber 10 yards from the
house, it's believed there is a fibre node 200 m away in the
direction of the exchange. Pretty sure Hexham where the other end of
the fibre is has Virgin so they just rent a bit of dark fibre from BT
Openreach, and 200 m of duct, simples. (Does Virgin FTTP kit work on
the end of 40 km of fibre?)

I believe, tho I might be wrong, think its to do with the kit that
breaks down the fibre into more usable chunks. As to VM fibre it does
run a very long way the right type of fibre and in any case fibre
repeaters can and are used as required. However I believe that BT now
have a lot of capacity that they want to make available to more for
less than current costs so they say....

Perhaps its an issue with the cost of the plant required for accessing
it?.
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Big Les Wade wrote:
Biggles posted
BT include wi-fi access to their customers' routers, which means
you can get wi-fi in many places, including some where there is
no mobile coverage. They also provide an app with which you can
make voice calls over wi-fi, billed at your land line rate.
Plusnet don't provide either of these, or didn't last time I
looked. Obviously you may or may not value these
features!

Why would anyone want the second one?

For places where there's WiFi but no cellular signal?

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Big Les Wade wrote:
Biggles posted
BT include wi-fi access to their customers' routers, which means
you can get wi-fi in many places, including some where there is
no mobile coverage. They also provide an app with which you can
make voice calls over wi-fi, billed at your land line rate.
Plusnet don't provide either of these, or didn't last time I
looked. Obviously you may or may not value these
features!

Why would anyone want the second one?

I have a PATG mobile. Would make any outgoing calls free when my landline
is. Ie evenings and weekends.

The BT wi-fi seems pretty good in London. Although I don't use a mobile
like most do. And of course it's not going to work on the move.

--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes posted
Big Les Wade wrote:
Biggles posted
BT include wi-fi access to their customers' routers, which means
you can get wi-fi in many places, including some where there is
no mobile coverage. They also provide an app with which you can
make voice calls over wi-fi, billed at your land line rate.
Plusnet don't provide either of these, or didn't last time I
looked. Obviously you may or may not value these
features!

Why would anyone want the second one?

For places where there's WiFi but no cellular signal?

But why not use the landline .... Aaaaaaaah, I get it. This is for when
you are piggybacking on somebody else's Internet connection via the Fon
thing.

--
Les
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Big Les Wade wrote:
Mike Barnes posted
Big Les Wade wrote:
Biggles posted
BT include wi-fi access to their customers' routers, which means
you can get wi-fi in many places, including some where there is
no mobile coverage. They also provide an app with which you can
make voice calls over wi-fi, billed at your land line rate.
Plusnet don't provide either of these, or didn't last time I
looked. Obviously you may or may not value these
features!

Why would anyone want the second one?

For places where there's WiFi but no cellular signal?

But why not use the landline

I took the Biggles to mean *any* WiFi (that's how it works with the app
I have, provided by Three). So if, for instance, I'm staying at a hotel
where there's no signal, I can make calls with my mobile and avoid
paying hotel landline rates, from anywhere in the hotel.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2015 23:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:

(Does Virgin FTTP kit work on
the end of 40 km of fibre?)

Doubtful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2015 22:43, alan_m wrote:

snipped

For the past 5+ years a large percentage of my snail junk mail is from
virgin. Around once a week I get a fat A4 envelope with a glossy
personalised pamphlet stating how much I could save on my
Freeview/Freesat or non-existent Sky costs.

We get four such fat envelopes, addressed to flat 1, flat 2, flat 3 and
flat 4. This house has not been in flats for over 22 years, and only
Virgin's database seems to think it still is.

Cheers
--
Syd

Broadband. harryagain UK diy 24 August 21st 11 06:29 PM
OT - Got broadband? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 45 February 8th 08 11:47 PM
OT - best broadband ? sm_jamieson UK diy 61 June 16th 07 12:13 PM
Best ISP for Broadband Eusebius UK diy 28 May 22nd 07 11:20 AM
for those of U on ntl broadband tony sayer UK diy 31 March 11th 05 10:00 PM