Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nemo Nemo is offline

Default Broadband Plusnet v Broadband

On 17/09/2015 12:55, mark wrote:
A year or so ago I switched my phone to Plusnet as part of a phone/Broadband
package.

Since had calls from BT trying to lure me back.

Latest was yesterday. He told me it would be faster and more reliable with
BT. I suggested that the cables are the same so how would it be faster. He
told me that their fibre cables run parallel to the old wire cables. how
can I confirm this?

I don't know enough about it to know if I'm being feed BS, that's why I'm
here.

I was given some attractive deals but I said I would need to see the deals
in writing as it was a lot to take in over the phone. He wasn't allowed.
To me that's in the same area of sales techniques as the double glazing
salesman phoning his manager to get a better price.

He's calling me next week to see what I've come up with after my 'think
about it'.

Any pointers?

Both ISPs offer fibre broadband[1] at 17, 38 and 76Mb, using the same
wires and fibres, so the "faster and more reliable" claim is bullsh*t.
General experience is that PlusNet offer better support if/when there
are problems and are usually cheaper. However, check out the details of
various bundles offered to see what's best for you. Watch out for the
small print - introductory rates, connection fee, minimum contract
duration, exit fee etc.

[1] It's actually fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) then twisted pair wire to
your house.

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages