Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Broadband Plusnet v Broadband

In article , alan_m
scribeth thus

Yet another reason to avoid them like the plague. My street has Virgin
cable going down it and I get bombarded by pleas from them to join up.
Suppose it's natural they do this to existing customers too.

For the past 5+ years a large percentage of my snail junk mail is from
virgin. Around once a week I get a fat A4 envelope with a glossy
personalised pamphlet stating how much I could save on my
Freeview/Freesat or non-existent Sky costs. This is usually followed up
with less bulky snail mail giving me a better offer. Strangely they
believe everyone is deeply into sport and want premium content channels.
For my usage of TV/phone/broadband I can get a better service or
better price elsewhere.

In the days long before Virgin took over the operation, when cable was
first installed in the street where I live the only notification was a
single letter around 6 weeks before they started work saying cable would
be coming to us soon. I was woken early one morning to find that the
contractors had stated work even earlier and there was already a trench
and the spoils piled high on the pavement. No resident could get their
cars out of their driveways (front gardens). There followed an intensive
campaign by cold calling foot-in-the-door salesmen scum attempting to
sign up customers. I wonder why the initial take up of cable in my
street wasn't that high?

I tell you what I know of quite a few people who'd PAY them to come and
dig outside their front doors now as they can only get sub 1 meg speeds
on so called broadband and thats not too far out in the county
either!...

--
Tony Sayer