Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best paint to use on kitchen ceiling?

The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 July 2015 11:27:41 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

yes, and is more wipeable and more water resistant.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2015 11:27, Fredxxx wrote:

The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Why do you believe that?

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

Yes. Although some are almost matt. Paints formulated for kitchens have
to stand up to steam, condensation, organic vapours and fats. Matt
finishes aren't very good in that environment and harder to clean.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/15 11:27, Fredxxx wrote:
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

Dulux matt is fine IME. Unless you are running a chip shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2015 12:05, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/07/2015 11:27, Fredxxx wrote:

The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Why do you believe that?

Because that seems to be the case unless you know something I don't.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

Yes. Although some are almost matt. Paints formulated for kitchens have
to stand up to steam, condensation, organic vapours and fats. Matt
finishes aren't very good in that environment and harder to clean.

I have regarded paints formulated for kitchens to be washable, something
I believed ceiling doesn't need to be.

Kitchen paints seem to have quite a sheen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2015 12:08, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/07/15 11:27, Fredxxx wrote:
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

Dulux matt is fine IME. Unless you are running a chip shop.

No chip shop, though the occasional fry up!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 12:05, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/07/2015 11:27, Fredxxx wrote:

The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Why do you believe that?

Because that seems to be the case unless you know something I don't.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

Yes. Although some are almost matt. Paints formulated for kitchens have
to stand up to steam, condensation, organic vapours and fats. Matt
finishes aren't very good in that environment and harder to clean.

I have regarded paints formulated for kitchens to be washable, something I
believed ceiling doesn't need to be.

Mine does, mainly from the steaks cooked in the grill. I cook mine on
those cast iron metal plates that you eat the steak off and get that
stinking hot under the grill before putting the steak on it and with
steak that has quite a bit of fat on it you can get the fat actually
burning and that puts some fat on the ceiling over time.

Kitchen paints seem to have quite a sheen.

They need to if you wash them at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 July 2015 11:27:41 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:

The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

You can pick a prettier matt finish, not fry much and accept it'll need repainting after so many years. Or go with eggshell etc, then it can be cleaned more & last longer.

I see no sense arguing for one or the other.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Fredxxx
escribió:

Any accidents involving ketchup would probably require a new coat of
paint regardless of paint type/finish.

I managed to splat ketchup with jalapeño peppers over the kitchen
ceiling last week. It cleaned off without any staining after a couple
of days sitting there. The finish? Eggshell.

I also use eggshell on the bathroom ceiling, it doesn't peel off after a
while with condensation like emulsion does.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Do you not have a woman to tell you want to she wants the ceiling painting
with and all other criteria is thrown out the window?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 17/07/2015 19:30, ARW wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Do you not have a woman to tell you want to she wants the ceiling
painting with and all other criteria is thrown out the window?

I reckon its just as quick to paint a kitchen ceiling compared to trying
to clean it, unless its just a few splats.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 July 2015 18:17:31 UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I also use eggshell on the bathroom ceiling, it doesn't peel off after a
while with condensation like emulsion does.

it does, but lasts a lot longer

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2015 19:30, ARW wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Do you not have a woman to tell you want to she wants the ceiling
painting with and all other criteria is thrown out the window?

Hmmm Lets just say the walls aren't going to be magnolia!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2015 11:27, Fredxxx wrote:
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

In the end I got Dulux kitchen+ which is a matt paint and claims to be
grease and stain resistant!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:30, ARW wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Do you not have a woman to tell you want to she wants the ceiling
painting with and all other criteria is thrown out the window?

I reckon its just as quick to paint a kitchen ceiling compared to trying
to clean it, unless its just a few splats.

But if the problem is the fat/smoke from grilling steaks etc,
you need to clean the ceiling before repainting it to get the
new paint to stick properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 17 July 2015 18:17:31 UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I also use eggshell on the bathroom ceiling, it doesn't peel off after a
while with condensation like emulsion does.

it does,

None of mine has peeled off in more than 40 years now.

but lasts a lot longer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 July 2015 01:15:34 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"ss" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:30, ARW wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Do you not have a woman to tell you want to she wants the ceiling
painting with and all other criteria is thrown out the window?

I reckon its just as quick to paint a kitchen ceiling compared to trying
to clean it, unless its just a few splats.

But if the problem is the fat/smoke from grilling steaks etc,
you need to clean the ceiling before repainting it to get the
new paint to stick properly.

for once he's right. Hallelujah

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've never noticed much difference between paints when I could see, nor has
anyone else since, and it was Dulux. The only issue is that the ceiling
needs to be fairly non porous for most modern paints it seems the older
stuff was more gloopy and covered better.
brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
On Friday, 17 July 2015 11:27:41 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

yes, and is more wipeable and more water resistant.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2015 11:27, Fredxxx wrote:
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

Ceiling done and looks fine.

Walls are a different story. It seems that Dulux Kitchen+ is better than
Nitromors at removing old paint down to plaster.

What a pain! Any ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

If you believe the sheds and dulux et al, you'll need kitchen ceiling paint,
which is just paint, but costs twice as much because it's in a can with the
words 'kitchen ceiling' on it.

I'm waiting for them to make some 'bedroom window' wall paint and some 'big
wall on the stairs' paint so that I can get some jobs done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 July 2015 19:25:24 UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight
sheen to them?

If you believe the sheds and dulux et al, you'll need kitchen ceiling paint,
which is just paint, but costs twice as much because it's in a can with the
words 'kitchen ceiling' on it.

I'm waiting for them to make some 'bedroom window' wall paint and some 'big
wall on the stairs' paint so that I can get some jobs done.

What I don't get is how many fall for this stuff

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:30, ARW wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message
The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not
suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Do you not have a woman to tell you want to she wants the ceiling
painting with and all other criteria is thrown out the window?

Hmmm Lets just say the walls aren't going to be magnolia!

:-)
--
Adam

Kilz as ceiling paint? Charles Spitzer Home Repair 22 June 8th 18 09:59 PM
paint will not stick to ceiling Vass[_5_] UK diy 6 November 14th 08 09:45 PM
How To Paint A Ceiling trav Home Repair 0 October 20th 07 01:08 PM
Kitchen ceiling paint Davao UK diy 6 August 18th 06 08:49 AM
Ceiling Paint - Prime First? Mick Home Repair 14 August 11th 04 02:33 AM