Mick

Default Ceiling Paint - Prime First?

I'm going to paint a ceiling (standard 'ceiling white') that hasn't been
painted in roughly 10 years. It's not really all that dirty for being so
old, so I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like. Should be no
problem with new paint adhering to the old. But here's the question... I
want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible. Would
priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats (including the
primer coat) needed? TIA.
---Mick

Joe Bobst

I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like.

Did you mean TSP, trisodium phosphate?

I want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible. Would
priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats (including the
primer coat) needed?

Probably, yes. If you use a primer tinted for the ceiling color you could get
by with primer + topcoat. The finish coat would need to have exceptional hiding
power and your technique must be first class. Consumer Reports can offer some
help on which paint would meet your needs Good luck.

Joe

m Ransley

STP goes in motors TSP is soap. If it isnt dirty dont wash it. TSP
without good rinsing can leave streaks in new paint. If it is a kitchen
or greasy area wash. Otherwise use the best paint

Joe Fabeitz

Since the ceiling already has paint on it, STP, or TSP is not required
unless it's a kitchen ceiling and therefore, might be greasy. Just keep the
roller loaded with paint and don't get too carried away with rolling it out.

Ya know, they now make a ceiling paint that goes on with a pink tint but
dries white. This really helps ensure you don't miss spots. I just used it
and it works. H-D, Lowes, etc.

"Mick" wrote in message
I'm going to paint a ceiling (standard 'ceiling white') that hasn't been
painted in roughly 10 years. It's not really all that dirty for being so
old, so I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like. Should be no
problem with new paint adhering to the old. But here's the question... I
want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible. Would
priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats (including the
primer coat) needed? TIA.
---Mick

xrongor

it MIGHT require a coat of primer. if it does, and you dont, youll be
painting over what you have already painted which means more coats. worst
case you may even be removing that coat before priming.

primer is almost guaranteed to cut the number of coats. if you put one coat
of paint on and thats it, its gonna look like hell in a year.

so in the words of clint eastwood: tell me punk, do you feel lucky? g

randy

"Mick" wrote in message
I'm going to paint a ceiling (standard 'ceiling white') that hasn't been
painted in roughly 10 years. It's not really all that dirty for being so
old, so I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like. Should be no
problem with new paint adhering to the old. But here's the question... I
want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible. Would
priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats (including the
primer coat) needed? TIA.
---Mick

George E. Cawthon

You got the first part right about washing with STP. The answer is
no. Two coats of the new paint will cover better than 1 coat of prime
and 1 coat final paint. If you prime, you might be painting it 3
times.

Mick wrote:

I'm going to paint a ceiling (standard 'ceiling white') that hasn't been
painted in roughly 10 years. It's not really all that dirty for being so
old, so I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like. Should be no
problem with new paint adhering to the old. But here's the question... I
want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible. Would
priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats (including the
primer coat) needed? TIA.
---Mick

George E. Cawthon

Not lucky, just confused. If it is painted it doesn't require
primer. It's a year since I painted the interior of my house with one
coat. Don't see anything looking like hell. Of course I washed all
surfaces with about 1/4 cup of TSP per 2 gallons of water and contrary
to another post it doesn't show any streaks either. If you are smart
you always clean the surface before painting.

"Mick" wrote in message
I'm going to paint a ceiling (standard 'ceiling white') that hasn't been
painted in roughly 10 years. It's not really all that dirty for being so
old, so I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like. Should be no
problem with new paint adhering to the old. But here's the question... I
want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible. Would
priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats (including the
primer coat) needed? TIA.
---Mick

jeffc

"Mick" wrote in message
I'm going to paint a ceiling (standard 'ceiling white') that hasn't been
painted in roughly 10 years. It's not really all that dirty for being so
old, so I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like. Should be no
problem with new paint adhering to the old. But here's the question... I
want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible. Would
priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats (including the
primer coat) needed?

No - that's just another coat. By a good, high solids paint and you will
only need 1 coat. Sherwin Williams SuperPaint - there are others.

jeffc

"xrongor" wrote in message
hey, you like to gamble, dont use primer. primer isnt paint and paint

isnt
primer. they serve two seperate functions.

And primer is a total waste of time in this case.

L. M. Rappaport

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:20:01 -0400, "Mick" wrote
(with possible editing):

I'm going to paint a ceiling (standard 'ceiling white') that hasn't been
painted in roughly 10 years. It's not really all that dirty for being so
old, so I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like. Should be no
problem with new paint adhering to the old. But here's the question... I
want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible. Would
priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats (including the
primer coat) needed? TIA.
---Mick

Put me down with those that tell you not to prime. More important:
look at the formulas on the cans first. Ceiling paint and primer are
almost identical. "Premium" ceiling paint usually contains a little
more solids (usually titanium dioxide), while "primer" contains a
little more binder. Normally, if you remove any surface dust or
cobwebs, a single coat of a premium ceiling paint is all you need.
--

Larry
Mail may be sent to rapp at lmr dot com. Please
Bruce

Primer is only for bare surfaces, once something has been painted you
can use regular paint in the future.

If the ceiling is not too dirty you don't need to do much cleaning.
Just check for cobwebs that sometimes go overlooked.

If the ceiling is in a bathroom or kitchen I prefer to use a
semi-gloss which makes it easier to clean. (In a bathroom a paint
formulated to retard mildew growth is best.) Otherwise, a flat white
is normally the choice.

xrongor

"3rd eye" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:40:36 -0600, "xrongor"
wrote:

hey, you like to gamble, dont use primer. primer isnt paint and paint

isnt
primer. they serve two seperate functions.

randy

Actually primers serve 'many' different functions.

So, randy what primer would you recommend for this job??

Classic case of why top posting sucks so I'll jump all over to
respond.

xrongor wrote:

it MIGHT require a coat of primer. if it does, and you dont, youll

be
painting over what you have already painted which means more coats.

worst
case you may even be removing that coat before priming.

Huh?

primer is almost guaranteed to cut the number of coats. if you put

one
coat
of paint on and thats it, its gonna look like hell in a year.

Absurd.

"Mick" wrote in message
I'm going to paint a ceiling (standard 'ceiling white') that hasn't

been
painted in roughly 10 years. It's not really all that dirty for

being
so
old, so I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like. Should be

no
problem with new paint adhering to the old. But here's the

question... I
want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible.

Would

wheres waldo

priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats

(including
the
primer coat) needed? TIA.
---Mick

The biggest part of the job is moving the furniture, masking &
covering up whatever you don't want to get paint on.

If it isn't filthy or greasy don't wash it.
knock the dust & cobwebs off & paint it.
If, once it's dry if you feel you need another coat it will only take
a short time to do it.

Spend a few extra bucks on a lambswoll roller you'll be glad you did.

SJF

"Mick" wrote in message
I'm going to paint a ceiling (standard 'ceiling white') that hasn't been
painted in roughly 10 years. It's not really all that dirty for being so
old, so I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like. Should be no
problem with new paint adhering to the old. But here's the question... I
want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible. Would
priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats (including the
primer coat) needed? TIA.
---Mick

I had a white, textured ceiling that showed graying around the air vents
from a burnt out furnace jacket. I repainted it the same white using a deep
pile sheepskin roller and the cheapest white paint I could find. It soaked
it up like mad -- glad I used cheap paint. Twenty years later, it still
looks good.

SJF

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Cracking paint walls & ceiling Billy & Beth Adams Home Ownership 0 March 14th 04 04:02 AM