George E. Cawthon

Default Ceiling Paint - Prime First?

Not lucky, just confused. If it is painted it doesn't require
primer. It's a year since I painted the interior of my house with one
coat. Don't see anything looking like hell. Of course I washed all
surfaces with about 1/4 cup of TSP per 2 gallons of water and contrary
to another post it doesn't show any streaks either. If you are smart
you always clean the surface before painting.

xrongor wrote:

it MIGHT require a coat of primer. if it does, and you dont, youll be
painting over what you have already painted which means more coats. worst
case you may even be removing that coat before priming.

primer is almost guaranteed to cut the number of coats. if you put one coat
of paint on and thats it, its gonna look like hell in a year.

so in the words of clint eastwood: tell me punk, do you feel lucky? g

randy

"Mick" wrote in message
I'm going to paint a ceiling (standard 'ceiling white') that hasn't been
painted in roughly 10 years. It's not really all that dirty for being so
old, so I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like. Should be no
problem with new paint adhering to the old. But here's the question... I
want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible. Would
priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats (including the
primer coat) needed? TIA.
---Mick